2021-02-28 NPR puzzle synopsis, and the suspension of these synopses

130 kali dilihat
Langsung ke pesan pertama yang belum dibaca

Richard Renner

belum dibaca,
28 Feb 2021, 09.13.4228/02/21
kepadaNPR puzzle synopses list
Synopsis of
NPR Weekend Edition puzzle
with Lulu Garcia-Navarro and Will Shortz
2021-02-28
And the announcement of our suspension of making synopses.

The listener challenge last week was from listener Andrew Chaikin of San Francisco. Think of a famous philosopher, first and last names. Change one letter in the first name to get a popular dish. Drop two letters from the last name and rearrange the result to get the kind of cuisine of this dish. What is it? The answers are: Friedrich Nietzsche, fried rice and Chinese.

Lulu reported 1,500 correct entries.

The on-air player is Tim Erskine of Chester, Virginia. He used the Monty Python’s Philosophers Song as a guide.
Tim has played the NPR puzzle since 2002 or 2003, he sets his alarm for Thursdays at 2:58 pm so he will be ready to answer NPR’s call in case he wins.

Today’s on-air puzzle is called, “You Got An A++.” The clues come in pairs. Say the answers to the two clues with an A in front to get each answer. For example, if the clues are “Prohibition / Mafia chief,” then the answer would be ABANDON (A+ban+don).

Clues:
1. Hydroelectric facility / Insect that scurries
2. Old horse / Male sheep
3. Hot dog holder / Waltz or minuet
4. Where a scientist works / Fall flower
5. Untruth / Country or land
6. Colorado ski resort / Skill

Answers are near the end of this synopsis.

This week's challenge comes from Joseph Young of St. Cloud, Minnesota. I'm looking for the names of two companies. One of them has a two-part name (5,5). The other has a three-part name (5,7,5). The last five-letter part of the two names is the same. And the first five-letter part of the first company's name is something the second company wants. What is it?

Joseph Young’s Puzzleria is at:

Answers must be received by 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time on THURSDAY.  NPR will no longer receive entries by email.  Be sure to include a telephone number where you can be reached if you are selected as the winner.

Entries may be submitted at the NPR web page:
You can also get to this page by going to:
and clicking the "Submit Your Answer" link. You may also submit a suggestion for a new puzzle by selecting Puzzle Idea from the "I'd Like to" pulldown, and you may comment about NPR programming at the same site.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Editor's notes:

Puzzles, and contents of Weekend Edition/Sunday puzzle segment are copyrighted 2021, by Will Shortz and NPR. Reprinted here with permission.

Here's our legacy monthly puzzle transcription schedule:
1st Sunday Joe
2nd Sunday Richard
3rd Sunday Joe
4th Sunday Richard
5th Sunday Kristy
Our e-mail addresses are:
Richard Renner <rrennerATigc.org>
Joe Wander <jdwandersrATgmail.com>
Kristy Compton <bisonbooksATgmail.com>

With mixed feelings, I have decided to suspend our weekly preparation of synopses of the NPR puzzles. Twenty-six (26) years is long enough for us (although Will is obviously carrying on for the foreseeable future). Our co-editor, Joe Wander, has had intermittent health issues and has become unavailable and non-responsive. While my heart goes out for Joe and wishes him well, the present situation is an indicator of our overall situation. Our lives change and we are mortal. If this endeavor is going to continue, it needs a succession plan that draws in the next generation of co-editors. That we do not have.

I feel immense appreciation for my co-editors, particularly Joe who suggested long ago that these synopses would benefit from sharing the work with a team of co-editors. He, Kristy Compton and the late Jerry Miller made it possible for me to continue this long. Justin Bassett and others also helpfully served as subs to maintain continuity.

Together we are leaving a record in the public domain of the NPR puzzle and commentaries. I like to think that the public discussion has made the puzzle more inclusive and responsive. More importantly, it created a community of both shared and diverse interests.

I am calling this decision a suspension, albeit indefinite. If any of us feel moved to submit a syopsis, we remain free to do so. Whatever is ahead
for us, I do wish each of you the best in coping with the present adversities and finding your own paths to accomplishment.

Here is a message from Kristy:
It's been a JOY to serve with you over the years. The puzzle is a delightful staple of each weekend, and it's truly been delightful to help out with the synopsis over the years. I count you all and our late colleague, Jerry, as FRIENDS who have seen me through a rough divorce, years of singledom, and then a happy remarriage.
Joe, you are in my prayers. At random times during the week, I think of you and wonder how you are doing. Please be well and know you are in our thoughts.
Richard, thank you for calling it a "suspension"...just in case. :-)
Justin, thank you for being such a good sport and graciously/efficiently filling in whenever we needed you.
What a lucky gal I am to have such cool friends,
Kristy in Texas

We also have this email:
> >                              2021-02-14
> > The listener challenge last week was from listener Ed Pegg Jr.,
> > who runs mathpuzzle.com. Think of someone who has been in
> > the news this year in a positive way. Say this person's first
> > initial
> > and last name out loud. It will sound like an important person in
> > U.S. history. Who is it? The answer is Antony Blinken, making "A.
> > Blinken" which sounds like "Abe Lincoln." Blinken is our newly
> > confirmed Secretary of State.

Date sent:         Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:59:04 -0700
Subject:             Re: [NPR puzzle] 2021-02-14 NPR puzzle synopsis
I neglected to send this comment to Will, but I checked first to hear
what he actually said. He did not say "in a positive way" either on Feb
14 or Feb 7. So I am glad I did not say anything to Will about it.
The "in a positive way" must either have been added by NPR to their text
version of the puzzle online, or else in the original from Ed Pegg (and
omitted by Will).
Either way, Will is blameless here.
I repeat: Anthony Blinken is a disaster.  A TOTAL DISASTER.

This from Wayne:
>> On Feb 7, 2021, at 18:43, wrote:
>> ?   No puzzle received today!!
> On Feb 8, 2021, at 08:36, Richard Renner wrote:
> ?Hmm. Right you are.
> Maybe it is time for us to lay down the weekly synopses.
Wayne:
I hope not!!

From Harvey:
Richard
Thanks so much for doing these newsletters. I read it almost every week.
That said, I’m not prepared to volunteer to join the team sending them out.
YIF,

From David:
I also noticed the omission and hope it was merely a case of forgetfulness and not something more serious.
—David

From Phil:
Hi, Richard, Joe, Kristy, and Justin.
         Thank you all for continuing to send the weekly synopses. I am hopeful that we can continue to receive them and that other listeners will offer their assistance in this effort. I don't have a computer at home and have only very basic computer skills, so am unable to be of any help to you.
         Get well soon, Joe!!!
                            Yours,           Phil Goodman
                                                 Binghamton, NY

Hints:
1. Hydroelectric facility / Insect that scurries: the insect might invade a picnic, 3 letters, the strongest insect
4. Where a scientist works / Fall flower: the flower is 5 letters, starting with A
6. Colorado ski resort / Skill: the ski resort has 4 letters; the skill is in the form of a noun

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Our group of volunteer co-editors distributes these free weekly synopses of the NPR puzzle segment. You can read more about this free distribution at:
You can subscribe from this page, too.

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:

To change the email address of your subscription, remove the old one (from the old email account), and add the new Google subscription (from the new email account).

NPR posts the weekly challenge (and the previous week's answer) on its World Wide Web page:
Option 2: You can also listen to a recording of Weekend Edition Sunday program after 12:00 noon ET each Sunday by going to the first link at the top of this e-mail.

Podcasts are available at:

Podcasts of the Sunday puzzle are available at:

How do I subscribe to this podcast?
Copy the URL [above this paragraph] into your preferred podcasting tool software (e.g. Odeo, iTunes, iPodder). You will automatically receive this podcast each time it is published.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Links of interest:

Audios of past NPR puzzle segments

World Scrabble Championship

American Crossword Puzzle Tournament

Merl Reagle’s article on constructing crossword puzzles, available at

World Puzzle Federation (including Sudoku tournaments):

The US Team page is at:

Register for the USA team at:

Ed Pegg Jr.'s puzzles are available at:

National Puzzlers’ League

Kristy Fowler suggests linguaphiles visit

You can join Kathie Schneider's email list for accessible word and logic puzzles. To subscribe, send a blank email to

Will noted that Matt Jones writes the Jonesin’ Crosswords which appears in over 50 alternative newspapers.

Joseph Young’s Puzzleria is at:

Richard Renner
in Silver Spring, Maryland
rrennerATigc.org
Twitter: @rennerr3

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Clues
Answers
1. Hydroelectric facility / Insect that scurries
adamant
2. Old horse / Male sheep
anagram
3. Hot dog holder / Waltz or minuet
abundance
4. Where a scientist works / Fall flower
alabaster
5. Untruth / Country or land
alienation
6. Colorado ski resort / Skill
availability

The strongest insect is actually the horned dung beetle:
The insect world is famous for its Olympian power-lifters, but the horned dung beetle (Onthophagus Taurus) takes the gold. A mere 10 millimeters long, the beetle can pull up to 1141 times its own body weight-the equivalent of an average man lifting two fully-loaded 18-wheeler trucks. Mar 23, 2010

End of NPR Puzzle Synopses, for now.
Balas ke semua
Balas ke penulis
Teruskan