2022-10-09 NPR puzzle synopsis

Richard Renner

Oct 9, 2022, 9:09:00 AM10/9/22
to NPR puzzle synopses list
Synopsis of
NPR Weekend Edition puzzle
with Ayesha Rascoe and Will Shortz
2022-10-09

The listener challenge last week was from listener Neville Fogarty of Newport News, Va. Think of two well-known brand names, each in eight letters, that have the same first six letters in the same order. Both brands are of products — one found in the supermarket, one for something used outdoors. And even though the first six letters of the names are the same, they're not pronounced the same. What products are these?

The answers are Michelob (beer) and Michelin (tires).

Ayesha reported 150 correct entries.

This surprised me because the last time Will used a puzzle with these answers, Liane reported that there were 650 correct answers, making this a repeated puzzle answer:
Given 2003-08-31, this challenge came from listener Jeffrey Harris, of Nashville, Tennessee: Think of an 8 letter brand name with the letters C H somewhere inside it -- not at the beginning, but somewhere inside. Change the last 2 letters of this brand name to get another brand name. (Here's a hint: the "ch" is pronounced differently in each name, and in neither case is the "ch" pronounced like the ch in chair.) The answers are Michelin and
Michelob.  On 2003-09-07, I reported that at least my last Michelob had a union label.  As one UAW local put it, "Please buy & vote union every chance you get, including your beer. Your grandkids will be better off with union jobs than union-busted jobs . . .."

The on-air player is Mary Springhorn of Bellingham, Washington. On 2020-04-05, Joe reported that the winner and on-air player was Mary Springhorn of Bellingham, Washington who admitted she was “moderately terrified” before beginning the on-air challenge (and laughingly said she “moderately relieved” after the on-air segment was over). Mary is a retired surgeon who has been playing the puzzle “on and off” since the days when answers were submitted via email.

The rest of NPR’s content about this puzzle is at:

Richard Renner
in Silver Spring, Maryland
rrennerATigc.org
Twitter: @rennerr3