2020-12-06 MPR puzzle synopsis

Joe Wander

Dec 6, 2020, 6:16:52 PM12/6/20
to nprp...@googlegroups.com

NPR Weekend Edition Puzzle

Debbie Elliott and Will Shortz

2020-12-06

Last week's challenge from listener Wesley Davis of Black Mountain, North Carolina, and when you get the answer it will make you smile. Name an animal and spell it backward. Now name a variety of meat and insert it inside the animal's name that you've spelled backward. A common word will be revealed. What is it?

Will's answer is REVEALED.

Lulu reported over 850 correct responses.  This week's on-air player was fairly long-time listener and first-time player  Sherie Trakhtenbroit of San Antonio, Texas, who listens to KSTX and was working with her sister on the puzzle going down a list of animal names when she noticed that "deer" spelled backward is "re ed" and remembered "veal" from the list of meats.

The theme of today's puzzle posted to the NPR site is "Three Words, One Proverb." Each prompt is a sentence that contains three consecutive words that appear in the same order as the first three words of a familiar proverb or saying.

For the example given, "Put out a saucer of milk when the cat's hungry," the answer would be "When the cat's away the mice will play."

Prompts (*A hint was given)

1. As meteorologists know, every cloud has water droplets.
2. Variety is the daily publication of show business.
3. The surgeon put a stitch in the gaping wound.
4.* Through the mountains the road to the next town is very twisty.

5. The proof of most whiskey is 80.
6. In this motel a picture is hanging over every bed.
7. The joke starts: a priest, a fool, and a lawyer walk into a bar.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Editor's notes:

No news items or upcoming events announced. Health emergency Friday morning put me in the

ER for the entire day waiting for an MD. Gut bleed got me admitted and a colonoscopy and threw me off my schedule. By the time I got a note out to the team that I couldn't hear the sequence they had found other activities. Forunately I escaped this afternoon and this is the est I can manage this week,  Sorry.  joe

Puzzles, and contents of Weekend Edition/Sunday puzzle segment are copyrighted 2020, by Will Shortz and NPR. Reprinted here with permission.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Mail:
NB, please: We editors are always eager to receive e-mail comments (even when you are pointing out one or more of our slips), and we will generally add them to this section of the following week's synopsis. Please let us know in the first line of your message that you would like your comment included (or withheld) from the synopsis. Also, if you DO want your comment included, let us know if it is okay to share your name and email address! If no constraints are mentioned, we will assume it is okay to publish it as it arrived---with comment, name, and e-mail address intact.

Correspondence this week: None.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

 This week's challenge from listener from listener Jared Harvey, of Santa Cruz, California: Think of a common word in six letters. Write it in lowercase. If you hold up a mirror at its side, the reflection will show the same word. What is it?

Here is our current monthly puzzle transcription schedule :

1st Sunday  Joe

2nd Sunday Richard
3rd Sunday Joe
4th Sunday Richard
5th Sunday Kristy

Our e-mail addresses are
Richard Renner <rrennerATigc.org>
Joe Wander <jdwandersrATgmail.com>
Kristy Compton <bisonbooksATgmail.com>
Justin Bassett <justin.t.bassettATgmail.com

Still on schedule. Mail this week should be sent to Richard  with a "carbon copy" (cc:) to Justin,  Kristy, and me  please.

 Hints:

4. a town you wouldn't want to visit; a hot place

How do I subscribe to this podcast?

Copy the URL [above this paragraph] into your preferred podcasting tool software (e.g. Odeo, iTunes, iPodder). You will automatically receive this podcast each time it is published.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Links of possible interest:

Blaine's Puzzle Blog (snarky takes on the listener challenges)

Merl Reagle's article on constructing crossword puzzles

North American Scrabble Championship  World Sudoku Puzzle Championships

Our group of volunteer co-editors has distributed these free weekly synopses of the NPR puzzle segment. Read more about this free distribution here.
You can subscribe from this page, too.

Follow this link to unsubscribe from this group or this link for more options.
To change the email address of your subscription, unsubscribe the old email address and subscribe the new email account.

NPR posts the weekly challenge (and the previous week's answer) on its World Wide Web page.  You can also listen to a recording of Weekend Edition Sunday programs after noon ET each Sunday by going to this page and clicking on the blurb about the puzzle sequence.

Submit answers as well as comments about any NPR programming here.

Podcasts of NPR shows are available here.

U.S. Puzzle Championship info   Audios of past NPR puzzle segments

Kristy Compton suggests linguaphiles visit A.Word.A.Day

To join Kathie Schneider's email list for accessible word and logic puzzles, send a blank email to blind-puzzle...@googlegroups.com

Matt Jones' Jonesin’ Crosswords

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Answers

1. Every cloud has a silver lining
2. Variety is the spice of life
3. A stitch in time saves nine
4.* The road to hell is paved with good intentions
5. The proof of the pudding is in the eating
6. A picture is worth a thousand words
7. A fool and his money are soon parted

Joe Wander

Panama City, Florida