2020-11-01 NPR Puzzle Synopsis

Joe Wander

Nov 1, 2020, 10:07:25 AM11/1/20
to nprp...@googlegroups.com

NPR Weekend Edition Puzzle

Lourdes Garcia-Navarro and Will Shortz

2020-11-01

Last week's challenge, from Neville Fogarty, of Newport News, Virginia. What common seven-letter verb is made up of three consecutive musical notes in order?

Will's answer is DEFLATE (D, E-flat, E).

Lulu reported 1039 correct responses.  This week's on-air player was  Brett Campbell of Portland Oregon, the editor of Oregon Arts Watch. Brett listens to opb and is celebrating his Mother's 97th birthday today..

The theme of today's puzzle posted to the NPR site is "Rhyme City." Every answer today is a well-known U.S. city or town that has a two-word name. I'm going to give you rhymes for the respective parts. You name the places.

For the example given: Lodge Kitty, Kansas, the answer would be DODGE CITY

Prompts (*A hint was given)

1. Short Girth, Texas

2. Wrong Peach, California

3. Brittle Lock, Arkansas

4. Rolling Scene, Kentucky

5. Paint Ball, Minnesota

6. Gun Rally, Idaho

7. Banned Storks, North Dakota

8. Heavy Trace, Maryland

9. Quaker Sites, Ohio

10. Mouth Trend, Indiana

11. Milks Dairy, Pennsylvania

12. Tan Barber, Michigan

13. Moral Fables, Florida

14. New Walls, South Dakota

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Editor's notes:

No news items or upcoming events announced.

Puzzles, and contents of Weekend Edition/Sunday puzzle segment are copyrighted 2020, by Will Shortz and NPR. Reprinted here with permission.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~* ~ * ~ * ~ *

Mail:
NB, please: We editors are always eager to receive e-mail comments (even when you are pointing out one or more of our slips), and we will generally add them to this section of the following week's synopsis. Please let us know in the first line of your message that you would like your comment included (or withheld) from the synopsis. Also, if you DO want your comment included, let us know if it is okay to share your name and email address! If no constraints are mentioned, we will assume it is okay to publish it as it arrived---with comment, name, and e-mail address intact.

Correspondence this week:  One call for help:

Sent: Oct 27, 2020 10:12 AM
To: rrennerATigc.org
Subject: Hi, Richard from Phil Goodman

Hi, Richard.
         I was wondering if you could help me understand the answers to two clues in the Saturday 10/24/2020 "Newsday" crossword puzzle.
        The first clue is "Guy making author's alterations," and the answer is SAL.
        The other clue is "Parallel line part," and the answer is ASA.
         I tried Google but couldn't find anything to explain why those answers are correct.
         Thanks for your help.
                            Yours,             Phil Goodman
                                                   Binghamton, NY

Richard Renner
Tue, Oct 27, 11:02 AM (5 days ago)
Phil, I am as clueless as you are. Perhaps Joe can include it in next week's synopsis to see if a woke subscriber might know. Richard -----Original Message-----

Joe Wander <jdwan...@gmail.com>
Tue, Oct 27, 5:07 PM (5 days ago)
to Richard, philgo525

"As a," as in "straight as a die," might be the second. No idea at all about SAL.  joe

Anyone?

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

 This week's challenge This is a spinoff of today's on-air puzzle. Name a well-known U.S. city in two words (5,3). Change the first letter of the second word to name a popular rock group. Who is it?

Here is our current monthly puzzle transcription schedule :

1st Sunday  Joe

2nd Sunday Richard
3rd Sunday Joe
4th Sunday Richard
5th Sunday Kristy

Our e-mail addresses are
Richard Renner <rrennerATigc.org>
Joe Wander <jdwandersrATgmail.com>
Kristy Compton <bisonbooksATgmail.com>
Justin Bassett <justin.t.bassettATgmail.com

Still on schedule. Mail this week should be sent to Richard  with a "carbon copy" (cc:) to Justin,  Kristy, and me  please.

 Hints:

 No hints this week.

How do I subscribe to this podcast?

Copy the URL [above this paragraph] into your preferred podcasting tool software (e.g. Odeo, iTunes, iPodder). You will automatically receive this podcast each time it is published.

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Links of possible interest:

Blaine's Puzzle Blog (snarky takes on the listener challenges)

Merl Reagle's article on constructing crossword puzzles

North American Scrabble Championship  World Sudoku Puzzle Championships

Our group of volunteer co-editors has distributed these free weekly synopses of the NPR puzzle segment. Read more about this free distribution here.
You can subscribe from this page, too.

Follow this link to unsubscribe from this group or this link for more options.
To change the email address of your subscription, unsubscribe the old email address and subscribe the new email account.

NPR posts the weekly challenge (and the previous week's answer) on its World Wide Web page.  You can also listen to a recording of Weekend Edition Sunday programs after noon ET each Sunday by going to this page and clicking on the blurb about the puzzle sequence.

Submit answers as well as comments about any NPR programming here.

Podcasts of NPR shows are available here.

U.S. Puzzle Championship info   Audios of past NPR puzzle segments

Kristy Compton suggests linguaphiles visit A.Word.A.Day

To join Kathie Schneider's email list for accessible word and logic puzzles, send a blank email to blind-puzzle...@googlegroups.com

Matt Jones' Jonesin’ Crosswords

* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Prompts and answers

1. Short Girth, Texas  --  Fort Worth
2. Wrong Peach, Calif.  --  Long Beach
3. Brittle Lock, Ark.  --  Little Rock
4. Rolling Scene, Ky.  --  Bowling Green
5. Paint Ball, Minn.  --  St. Paul
6. Gun Rally, Idaho  --  Sun Valley
7. Banned Storks, N.D.  --  Grand Forks
8. Heavy Trace, Md.  --  Chevy Chase
9. Quaker Sites, Ohio  --  Shaker Heights
10. Mouth Trend, Ind.  --  South Bend
11. Milks Dairy, Penn.  --  Wilkes–Barre
12. Tan Barber, Mich.  --  Ann Arbor
13. Moral Fables, Fla.  --  Coral Gables
14. New Walls, S.D.  --  Sioux Falls

Joe Wander

Panama City, Florida