Npgsql 2.2 release plans

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Jul 7, 2014, 4:07:31 PM7/7/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
I think it is time to create a new release of Npgsql 2.2

We already have a lot of features including the excellent Kenji Uno support for DDEX, more support for EF6 by Emill, support for EFMigration and Database creation by David Karlas as well as the usual bug fixes and improvements.

You can check the list of fixes for this release here:

One thing I'm thinking about doing differently this time is to not release any beta or rc versions. I think this would allow a final build much faster to our users.

Also, I'm thinking about trying a faster release cycle. This way we can deliver better versions of Npgsql faster.

What do you all think?

Shay Rojansky

Jul 8, 2014, 2:37:54 PM7/8/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com, fran...@npgsql.org
Hi Francisco.

Releasing 2.2 seems like a good idea, there are quite a few features and bugfixes already.

But I think maybe it's a good idea to do a beta... It doesn't have to be very long, but it would be useful to get feedback from users that the new version is stable. The advantage of the beta is that it's published as an official (prerelease) nuget, so a lot more users can be easily exposed to it; without a nuget, users have to actively grab a zip distribution from our build server or clone and compile themselves, and very few people probably do that... What do you think?

Shay

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Jul 10, 2014, 10:46:06 AM7/10/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com, fran...@npgsql.org

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:37:54 PM UTC-3, Shay Rojansky wrote:
Hi Francisco.

Hi, Shay!

Releasing 2.2 seems like a good idea, there are quite a few features and bugfixes already.

But I think maybe it's a good idea to do a beta... It doesn't have to be very long, but it would be useful to get feedback from users that the new version is stable. The advantage of the beta is that it's published as an official (prerelease) nuget, so a lot more users can be easily exposed to it; without a nuget, users have to actively grab a zip distribution from our build server or clone and compile themselves, and very few people probably do that... What do you think?

Ok. I agree with you. I think the beta cycle will benefit the users who want to give it a try and we will be able to get some feedback from them.

I agree with you that the beta cycle can be shorter. With shorter beta cycles we can achieve the goal of having faster releases in the hands of our users.

Shay Rojansky

Jul 10, 2014, 11:54:15 AM7/10/14
to Francisco Figueiredo Jr., npgsq...@googlegroups.com, Francisco Figueiredo Jr.
Great.

Feel free to create a 2.2 branch and release the beta from it, regular work can continue on master. Let me know if you want any help with that!

Shay