Move Npgsql.org website to github

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Sep 4, 2014, 2:38:56 PM9/4/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com

Hi all!

I was thinking about changing the npgsql.org website to be hosted on github. What do you think?

I still don't know what would be necessary. But I started studying https://pages.github.com/ which have some tips about how to create the pages.

I know we could create the pages in markdown format which is much better to write than html and also we could use the github infrastructure: pull requests, discussions, etc  to easily update the site contents.

Today I have to connect to the pgfoundry host through sftp to update the page manually.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Sep 4, 2014, 2:50:47 PM9/4/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com, fran...@npgsql.org

I was thinking about something like that:

http://www.monobrasil.com.br/docs/

Note that github even creates a link where you can edit the file directly with the text: "Edit this page on GitHub"

Shay Rojansky

Sep 5, 2014, 3:10:53 AM9/5/14
to npgsq...@googlegroups.com, fran...@npgsql.org
I think that's a great idea Francisco, I had the same thought at some point. Github Pages are much easier to edit and collaborate on,

Take a look at Jekyll, it's a great way to manage the site through templating (common header, footer...).

This would probably also replace the wiki we currently have on github, along with the user manual. I was planning on reorganizing the manual for 3.0, but I'll hold off on that for now. It would also be ideal if we could find a way to hold the manual inside the the Npgsql git repository and source it from the site - this way feature commits can contain documentation updates as well.

I say go for it! Let me know if I can lend a hand.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.

Sep 5, 2014, 3:10:26 PM9/5/14

On Friday, September 5, 2014 4:10:53 AM UTC-3, Shay Rojansky wrote:
I think that's a great idea Francisco, I had the same thought at some point. Github Pages are much easier to edit and collaborate on,

Thanks!

I think Npgsql documentation will benefit a lot from the many collaborations we can receive by hosting the documentation on github.

Take a look at Jekyll, it's a great way to manage the site through templating (common header, footer...).

I'm having a look at it right now. For while, I just created a website repository in the npgsql organization to test things out. But for while I still haven't any sucess. :(

I thought there would some drop in directory structure I could just add to the gh-pages branch. For while, only the page created using the GitHub page generator is working.

http://npgsql.github.io/website

This would probably also replace the wiki we currently have on github, along with the user manual. I was planning on reorganizing the manual for 3.0, but I'll hold off on that for now. It would also be ideal if we could find a way to hold the manual inside the the Npgsql git repository and source it from the site - this way feature commits can contain documentation updates as well.

Yes. It would be very nice to have the documentation updated alongside the code.
Regarding the  manual, I also think it is an issue we should get fixed at the 3.0 release. Today we don't release any documentation besides the apidocs and the readme file.
It would be great if we could generate the manual html file from the md. This resulting file would be added to the release packages.

I say go for it! Let me know if I can lend a hand.

Great! I think I'll need some help setting up Jekyll directory structure in Npgsql website repository. :)

I'll play with a local Jekyll installation.