NY Gaming Meetup: What Makes Games Fun?

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Jeremy Pesner

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 12:39:17 AM10/15/10
to Nonprofit Commons Games
http://www.meetup.com/gaming/calendar/15074895/

I am teaming with Alan Gershenfeld (former chairman of Games for
Change) to headline November's New York Gaming Meetup. I will
investigate certain games to discover and affirm what makes them fun
and interesting, while Alan will provide an overview of Games for
Change and how "regular" game developers can be involved. This meetup
promises to be interesting, and I hope the local members of this group
can be there. It will be a fantastic opportunity to network with game
developers of all kinds.

Evonne Heyning

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 12:45:02 AM10/15/10
to npcg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know, this sounds very interesting Jeremy!  Will you do a full writeup for us or stream it in some way so we can all share and participate?

____________________________________

~Evonne Heyning~ @amoration
Interactive Producer, Social Games



Jeremy Pesner

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 11:32:13 AM10/15/10
to Nonprofit Commons Games
Sounds like a good idea, Evonne. I have been looking into
videorecording/live streaming options. I'm sure setting it up
wouldn't be difficult, and if I weren't speaking (and had a good video
camera) I'd do it myself. If you know of any New York videographers
who can do this for free (no one's getting paid here) please let me
know.

As for remote participation, what did you have in mind? Live tweeting
questions or comments? Playing the games that I describe along with
my presentation? It's a question I hadn't considered, but would love
to incorporate if possible.

On Oct 15, 12:45 am, Evonne Heyning <evo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for letting us know, this sounds very interesting Jeremy!  Will you
> do a full writeup for us or stream it in some way so we can all share and
> participate?
>
> ____________________________________
>
> ~Evonne Heyning~ @amoration <http://www.twitter.com/amoration>
> Interactive Producer, Social Games
> evo...@gmail.com  310.953.1087
> Link tohttp://flavors.me/amoration
>
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Jeremy Pesner <thepez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://www.meetup.com/gaming/calendar/15074895/
>
> > I am teaming with Alan Gershenfeld (former chairman of Games for
> > Change) to headline November's New York Gaming Meetup.  I will
> > investigate certain games to discover and affirm what makes them fun
> > and interesting, while Alan will provide an overview of Games for
> > Change and how "regular" game developers can be involved.  This meetup
> > promises to be interesting, and I hope the local members of this group
> > can be there.  It will be a fantastic opportunity to network with game
> > developers of all kinds.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Evonne Heyning

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 11:35:03 AM10/15/10
to npcg...@googlegroups.com
Talk to Josephine Dorado for options in the NYC area.

UStream Producer is very easy to use from any laptop and camera source including a simple webcam, so it can be very easy.
____________________________________

~Evonne Heyning~ @amoration
Interactive Producer, Social Games

Jeremy Pesner

unread,
Oct 15, 2010, 11:55:42 AM10/15/10
to Nonprofit Commons Games
Alright, I will look into it.

How would you like to be able to participate remotely? Or do you just
want to watch it?

On Oct 15, 11:35 am, Evonne Heyning <evo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Talk to Josephine Dorado for options in the NYC area.
>
> UStream Producer is very easy to use from any laptop and camera source
> including a simple webcam, so it can be very easy.
> ____________________________________
>
> > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -

avatar academy

unread,
Oct 16, 2010, 6:41:29 AM10/16/10
to npcg...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jeremy,
Thanks for the invite. I vote for fun meet up participation and online play if possible !
we will overcome the world clock timezone diff  
Best,

Hanan


Hanan Gazit, PhD

MetaverSense CEO
Make Real Sense of Virtual Worlds and Video Games

W www.metaversense.com

f: www.facebook.com/VRider | t: www.twitter.com/VRider | L http://www.linkedin.com/in/gazit

Evonne Heyning

unread,
Oct 16, 2010, 2:23:31 PM10/16/10
to npcg...@googlegroups.com, npcg...@googlegroups.com
For the rest of you here, what platforms do you use & play with most? I spend some time as In Kenzo in Second Life & also play some mobile/social games on IPhone & ipad, web casual games rarely & I have sworn off Facebook gaming until we beta the gardening game with Growcology. For collaboration I have also tried Google tools, Teleplace, Blue Mars & Adobe Connect blended with a virtual world. I stream often on UStream, sometime by phone & I have a few friends developing augmented telepresence robots & immersion experiences that should make our long term prospects fun. I am eager to develop for Kinect/XBox & have also talked to Microsoft about Surface dev for virtual gatherings.  

Evonne @amoration 
Interactive Producer
TechSoup Global

B Bye

unread,
Oct 19, 2010, 12:50:28 PM10/19/10
to npcg...@googlegroups.com, npcg...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I'm a Boomer aged gamer wannabe but dove into second life for my Nonprofit and stayed when the immersive experience tagged me. I tried a few others such as blue mars, open grid and just created lotr acct. One other is not a game but great example of AR storybook creation for kids at zooburst.com where I'm beta tester. Realized gaming is future of learning tool a few years ago so playing catch-up with those such as at national geographic and us army, geared for kids and learning. 
Buffy

Jeremy Pesner

unread,
Nov 2, 2010, 1:09:07 AM11/2/10
to Nonprofit Commons Games
Talk starts tonight! If you cannot be there in person, view the
Livestream starting at 7 PM at www.livestream.com/thepezman.

On Oct 19, 12:50 pm, B Bye <b...@telus.net> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm a Boomer aged gamer wannabe but dove into second life for my Nonprofit and stayed when the immersive experience tagged me. I tried a few others such as blue mars, open grid and just created lotr acct. One other is not a game but great example of AR storybook creation for kids at zooburst.com where I'm beta tester. Realized gaming is future of learning tool a few years ago so playing catch-up with those such as at national geographic and us army, geared for kids and learning.
> Buffy
>
> On 2010-10-16, at 2:23 PM, Evonne Heyning <evo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > For the rest of you here, what platforms do you use & play with most? I spend some time as In Kenzo in Second Life & also play some mobile/social games on IPhone & ipad, web casual games rarely & I have sworn off Facebook gaming until we beta the gardening game with Growcology. For collaboration I have also tried Google tools, Teleplace, Blue Mars & Adobe Connect blended with a virtual world. I stream often on UStream, sometime by phone & I have a few friends developing augmented telepresence robots & immersion experiences that should make our long term prospects fun. I am eager to develop for Kinect/XBox & have also talked to Microsoft about Surface dev for virtual gatherings.  
>
> > Evonne @amoration
> > Interactive Producer
> > TechSoup Global
>
> > On Oct 16, 2010, at 3:41 AM, avatar academy <avataracad...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Dear Jeremy,
> >> Thanks for the invite. I vote for fun meet up participation and online play if possible !
> >> we will overcome the world clock timezone diff  
> >> Best,
> >> Hanan
>
> >> Hanan Gazit, PhD
>
> >> MetaverSense CEO
> >> Make Real Sense of Virtual Worlds and Video Games
>
> >> Wwww.metaversense.com
>
> >> f:www.facebook.com/VRider| t:www.twitter.com/VRider| Lhttp://www.linkedin.com/in/gazit
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages