The Future of Activism panel: Wed, Feb 16

Josephine Dorado

Feb 13, 2011, 11:58:22 AM2/13/11
to npcg...@googlegroups.com
Hi, all!
*Apologies for cross-postings*
I'll be moderating a panel on the Future of Activism on Wed, Feb 16 at 7pm EST at the 92Y Tribeca and it will also be livestreamed at http://www.livestream.com/y30futurist
You can also tweet any questions you might have with the hashtag: #y30
I'm very excited about this panel  -- the line-up is stellar and we're interested to hear everyone's thoughts about future trends and what you think activism will look like in 30 years. Note that one of our panelists will be a teen activist -- who better to envision the future of activism that a teen whose future it will be?

cheers,
~Josephine
Twitter: @funksoup

The Future of Activism
When: Wed, Feb 16 at 7pm
Where: 92Y Tribeca, 200 Hudson St, NYC and livestreamed online

In the past, activism meant taking to the streets in protest, holding up a sign and showing solidarity through sit-ins and slogans chanted. As we've seen the developments in Egypt unfold, people have still taken to the streets, yet now it's supplemented by hashtag chatter, citizen journalism, photoblogging, and livestreaming. As new technologies emerge, activism and outreach efforts morph and expand. There have been paradigmatic shifts in philanthropy towards micro-giving and recently, micro-volunteerism. Platforms like Causes and sms-based giving have made it easy to donate in one click, and some say DDoS attacks are the new sit-in and charity tweetups and flashmobs are the new form of protest. What will the future hold? Please join us for a panel on the future of activism that will focus on future trends and innovation forecasts for Y+30: What will activism look like in 30 years?

Our esteemed panelists include Frank Cohn, Founder and Executive Director of Globalhood; Jacob Colker, Co-founder and CEO of The Extraordinaries/Sparked.com; Emily Jacobi Co-founder/Co-Director of Digital Democracy; and Marlon Barrios Solano, Founder and Executive Director of Dance-tech Interactive. As a special treat, we will also be joined by Jean Ulysse, a Haitian teen activist from the Global Potential program -- who better to envision the future of activism than a teen whose future it will be?

More info, speaker bios and RSVP at