Community updates & opportunities for NPCGames - Nonprofits move two spaces forward

1 view

Evonne Heyning

Feb 10, 2011, 12:38:22 PM2/10/11
to npcg...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all of you nonprofit game dreamers, makers, players and strategists for making great things happen!
What are you working on?
We want to hear your stories:  how are your campaigns running?

Opportunities:
Design a logo for this group! As we grow this working group we would love a graphic for our main NPCGames wiki page. Send in your designs this week via this google group, tag your files #GamesFTW #NPCGames and we'll be sure to find it. Have fun, +2 unicorns for the winning entry!

Sharing your work with friends? Pick up Reality is Broken, join the Nonprofit Games group on Gameful to find others to work with and watch Jane McGonigal on Colbert Report. This book is great group discussion material - get a sample for free via Kindle/mobile to read how she makes the case for games as worldchanging toolkits.

>>>TELL A FRIEND to join Nonprofit Games - we're gearing up for events throughout 2011 and invite all colleagues interested in this field to join us on this group.

Events:
2/17 in Los Angeles
Games for Change Meetup on Virtual Goods & Fundraising - informal brown bag for Nonprofit game people in Southern California

2/23 in San Francisco
Digital Storytelling Challenge Winners! TechSoup hosts the Virtual Drive-In in Second Life Screening LIVE in their SF Offices

3/3-3/5 in Long Beach
Designing Learning Futures: The Digital Media & Literacy Conference includes: Real World Games (for Civic Action Platforms) Organizers: Mary Flanagan, Susana Ruiz, Ben Stokes

Be a part of the big game in Austin! SXSWi: Causebuilding #GamesFTW
3/12 3:33PM at SXSWi with Josephine Dorado, Evonne Heyning & many special guests from this group!
We're chasing the light together for an hour as we build rapid bridges between game developers, public sector, storytellers, strategists & partners for building better play. Bring your wildest hat, your mobile device & willingness to explore new terrain as we game the game of making games.

Games to Play:
www.playspent.org - awesome game that takes you through being homeless in North Carolina
Free Culture Game - explore copyright, the creative commons and public media as it relates to being fed information
BTW, both of these games are quite hard to master, a common trend in this field. Do you know of any EASY causebuilding games? Please share!

Knowledge Sharing:
Learn more about games and copyright: if you're designing local, mobile, physical, board, card and non-digital games think about IP & future development ahead.

Tthere are now 44 cities where there are local Games4Change meetups! Tell us who you're working with and why so we can help you stay connected and find others to help you grow new endeavors.

Best wishes on all of your projects!

Evonne ~In Kenzo~ @amoration  #GamesFTW

~Evonne Heyning~ @amoration
Interactive Producer, Social Games