[NPA Chat] BREAKING NEWS: Hardware Glitch Cause for Faster Neutrinos

MainframeII

Feb 23, 2012, 12:13:55 AM2/23/12
to Greg Volk, David de Hilster, Julie Haberle, Chris Reeve, membe...@worldnpa.org
ScienceInsider (AAAS) has released info that a faulty fibre optic cable that connects to the GPS receiver used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight and an electronic card in a computer is to blame for faster than light neutrinos. This is only from one source and CERN/OPERA have not released this info themselves from what I've read. In fact, all OPERA has stated that there are possibly two errors in the setup. THEY HAVE NOT CONFIRMED THIS IS THE CAUSE.

Also this news is originally from an "anonymous source" including the reference on Wikipedia.

The point here are that this is a hypothesis and not yet tested.

My opinion is that this is a PR operation from CERN/OPERA who are trying to show the world how critical they are of themselves due to the heat they've been getting from these results. What kills me is that we have many theoretical physicists crying fowl against the brass of experimental physicists at, above all places, CERN. The stress OPERA scientists and engineers must be under is huge. In the end I believe the faster than light results will stand after testing these two hypothesis. The reason I say this is for many reasons but primarily because Fermilab had similar faster-than-light results in 2007 but thought it an error and didn't report it. Until now, CERN/OPERA results have not been test, much less verified or refuted, anywhere else in the world. This latest news is to show CERN/OPERA's prudence to the world.

Wiki:

Sources:
http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/02/breaking-news-error-undoes-faster.html?ref=hp#.T0V-41ZV_Y5.facebook

--
Sincerely,
Robert Demelo

Robert Beck

Feb 23, 2012, 7:03:19 AM2/23/12
to MainframeII, Greg Volk, David de Hilster, Julie Haberle, Chris Reeve, membe...@worldnpa.org
I agree with Robert Demelo that the faster than light results will stand (eventually).  See page two of the attached paper for my explanation of why neutrinos may sometimes achieve superluminal speed.

NOTE TO ALL:  I may withdraw the attached paper from this year's NPA proceedings because editors of two other journals have expressed interest. I will have to choose which. I find it regrettable that when science is about the spread of knowledge, such choice has to be made.

For anyone who has already looked at my paper for this year, in the attached version I have been able to add my diagramatic representation of the neutron, and I have added a paragraph on mesons, isospin and mass (page 4) to explain the point that had been raised by eminent retired physicist the Rev. John Polkinhorne, who had studied under Dirac, that some particles have zero spin (he meant isospin of 0) but still have mass.  This possible internal contradiction in my theory is now demonstrated to not apply in my model of particle structure, nor any that see quarks as still having spin in particles such as mesons.

Bob Beck

NPA2012paper23.2.12.pdf