idrac8

Vitalii

Mar 15, 2024, 6:57:03 AMMar 15
to noVNC
Hello,

I am encountering an issue with noVNC when trying to connect to an iDRAC8 server. While the connection to an iDRAC9 server works flawlessly, the iDRAC8 server connection results in a successful WebSocket connection but only displays a black screen with a cursor.

**Details of the Issue:**

- VNC server is enabled on both iDRAC8 and iDRAC9, with identical configurations.
- iDRAC9 displays the console data correctly.
- iDRAC8 establishes the WebSocket connection without errors but fails to display console data, showing only a black screen with a cursor.
- The VNC port configured in the database was initially mismatched (5901 instead of iDRAC’s 5900) but has been corrected without resolving the issue.
- WebSocket message patterns differ between iDRAC8 and iDRAC9, with iDRAC8 showing unusual binary messages when the black screen is present.
- There are no apparent errors in the browser console or network logs.

**Attempted Debugging Steps:**

- Ensuring both iDRAC versions are up-to-date.
- Verifying noVNC’s configurations for any potential mismatches with iDRAC8’s expectations.
- Checking for any differences in initialization sequences or data encoding.

**Assistance Required:**

I am looking for guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue further, particularly:
- Insights on potential compatibility issues between noVNC and iDRAC8.
- Any known issues or fixes related to noVNC and iDRAC8 connections.

Any help or suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Pierre Ossman

Mar 18, 2024, 9:41:01 AMMar 18
to no...@googlegroups.com, Vitalii
On 15/03/2024 11:57, Vitalii wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am encountering an issue with noVNC when trying to connect to an iDRAC8
> server. While the connection to an iDRAC9 server works flawlessly, the
> iDRAC8 server connection results in a successful WebSocket connection but
> only displays a black screen with a cursor.

These embedded VNC servers are unfortunately often buggy, so I'm not
entirely surprised there are issues. :/

Does it work with other VNC clients? E.g. TigerVNC?

Do you have to configure other VNC clients in some specific way to make
things work?

> - WebSocket message patterns differ between iDRAC8 and iDRAC9, with iDRAC8
> showing unusual binary messages when the black screen is present.

That is interesting. If possible, see if you could try websockifys
recording feature. If you could share a recording with us, we could do
some debugging on our end.

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman Software Development