Error 8901: unable to login

Kai Reichert

Nov 19, 2003, 3:14:07 PM11/19/03
Hi
Either your license is corrupted or the wrong one or there is a
hardware problem in your network.
See also
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10067152.htm

--
Regards, Kai Reichert
Novell Support Forums Sysop

Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be
hard to understand.

Network Admin

Nov 20, 2003, 9:11:15 AM11/20/03
Here is one more:
Upgraded another server in different context to SP6.
Ran dsrepair until error=0.
Users now can login, drives are mapped, and they can see files, but
cannot open them. Error reported is "check if the file exists".
After checking Monitor connections, it shows all connections with * next to connection.
Restarted server and it all went back to normal.

Kai Reichert

Nov 20, 2003, 4:40:48 PM11/20/03
Network Admin wrote:

Ok...this indeed sounds like a licensing problem.
This one is the latest fix, you may want to apply it.
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2966269.htm

--
Regards, Kai Reichert
Novell Support Forums Sysop

It said: 'Insert disk 3...' but only 2 fit in the drive.

Network Admin

Nov 21, 2003, 2:07:31 PM11/21/03
thanks. i'll try.

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 11:18:20 AM2/2/04
Network Admin wrote:
> thanks. i'll try.

I am having the same problem and I just applied this patch and rebooted
the server. Hopefully it will fix my issues.

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 11:40:14 AM2/2/04
John Doe wrote:

After applying the patch and rebooting I am still getting the same error
8901. I looked at my active connections and it says I am around 400ish
but I do have several connections with the * by it. When I go into
nwadmin32 and look at my licenses it says that all 700 of them are used
up.

So it says I am using all 700 of my licenses but it only sees 400ish
connections and some have * in front of them.

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 11:41:43 AM2/2/04
John Doe wrote:

Also the first time I log in I get that 8901 error, and login takes a
very long time. If I login in again right after the first login as the
same user, login zips through without errors.

Massimo Rosen

Feb 2, 2004, 11:45:05 AM2/2/04

John Doe wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>
> > Network Admin wrote:
> >
> >> thanks. i'll try.
> >

> > I am having the same problem and I just applied this patch and rebooted
> > the server. Hopefully it will fix my issues.
>
> After applying the patch and rebooting I am still getting the same error
> 8901. I looked at my active connections and it says I am around 400ish
> but I do have several connections with the * by it. When I go into
> nwadmin32 and look at my licenses it says that all 700 of them are used
> up.

What type of license is that? With 700 licenses, I would usually expect
you should have unlimited CLA type licenses. Also, are they assigned to
a specific server?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 11:56:09 AM2/2/04
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Doe wrote:
>
>>John Doe wrote:

>>>I am having the same problem and I just applied this patch and rebooted
>>>the server. Hopefully it will fix my issues.
>>
>>After applying the patch and rebooting I am still getting the same error
>>8901. I looked at my active connections and it says I am around 400ish
>>but I do have several connections with the * by it. When I go into
>>nwadmin32 and look at my licenses it says that all 700 of them are used
>>up.
>

> What type of license is that? With 700 licenses, I would usually expect
> you should have unlimited CLA type licenses. Also, are they assigned to
> a specific server?
>
> CU,

Here is a pic of the my licenses being viewed from nwadmin32.

http://home.comcast.net/~dover33/8901.jpg

Massimo Rosen

Feb 2, 2004, 12:13:26 PM2/2/04

John Doe wrote:

> Here is a pic of the my licenses being viewed from nwadmin32.
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~dover33/8901.jpg

Well, are they assigned to a specific server?

CU,

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 12:22:34 PM2/2/04
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Doe wrote:
>
>>Here is a pic of the my licenses being viewed from nwadmin32.
>>
>>http://home.comcast.net/~dover33/8901.jpg
>

> Well, are they assigned to a specific server?
>
> CU,

How do I tell if it is assigned to a specifit server?

Also I am getting this error when I check the server error logs.

POLICY MANAGER - [5.00-015]: Unable to obtain a connection license
unit. Operation will continue. Error # C0001006

John Doe

Feb 2, 2004, 12:24:03 PM2/2/04
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> John Doe wrote:
>
>>Here is a pic of the my licenses being viewed from nwadmin32.
>>
>>http://home.comcast.net/~dover33/8901.jpg
>

> Well, are they assigned to a specific server?
>
> CU,

NM, I found where it is assigned to a server, and yes, they are all
assigned to the proper server.

Massimo Rosen

Feb 2, 2004, 1:28:18 PM2/2/04

John Doe wrote:

> How do I tell if it is assigned to a specifit server?

OPen the license certificate itself, (not the container), and the first
thing you see is the assigned server.

> Also I am getting this error when I check the server error logs.
>
> POLICY MANAGER - [5.00-015]: Unable to obtain a connection license
> unit. Operation will continue. Error # C0001006

Well, of course. This message means there's no license left, that
matches what you see in Nwadmin.

John

Feb 2, 2004, 1:32:45 PM2/2/04

> Well, of course. This message means there's no license left, that
> matches what you see in Nwadmin.
>
> CU,

Any idea on what is eating up all of my licenses? Monitor says I have
400-500 connections, some with * in front of them but nwadmin says all
755 licenses are used up. This just started happening last week after
working fine for a long while. If every single user was logged on at
once, which never happens, then at most there would be 701 users.

Thanks.

Massimo Rosen

Feb 2, 2004, 1:37:04 PM2/2/04

Didn't you say you have multiple servers? A user logging in to 2 NW5.1
servers will use two licenses.

John

Feb 2, 2004, 1:41:52 PM2/2/04
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Didn't you say you have multiple servers? A user logging in to 2 NW5.1
> servers will use two licenses.
>
> CU,

The server I am having issues with is the nw5.1 server. The other
server is a nw4.1 server which I use for nothing. Should I remove this
4.1 server? I have had this configuration for 2 years with no problems.

John

Feb 2, 2004, 2:10:09 PM2/2/04
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> 1. Make sure you have all your license files handy.

If I am missing a license disk how would I go about getting a new one?
I have 5 of the 7 license disk.

Massimo Rosen

Feb 2, 2004, 1:52:53 PM2/2/04

Oh, IC. I've mistakenly applied the original posters setup to you. Well,
in your case the only possible explanation is some issue with the
licensing itself, so I suggest you do the following:

1. Make sure you have all your license files handy.

2. In Nwadmin, delete the NLS_LSP_yourservername object.
3. On the server console, execute "setupnls", and provide admin
credentials and let it recreate the NLS_LSP object.
4. Again on the server, unload nlslsp. Wait a few seconds, it should
load again automatically.

See if that helped anything. If it didn't, delete your license
certificates and license containers in nwadmin, and reinstall the
licenses from nwadmin.

Massimo Rosen

Feb 3, 2004, 5:44:39 AM2/3/04

You will have to contact Novell or your reseller directly.