Graphics printing in DOS

jopps

Nov 15, 2003, 1:19:22 PM11/15/03
This problem is driving me crazy. I know that this is not the correct forum
for my problem but if anyone can help or point me to the right forum, I
would be most grateful.
I am trying to print a graphic logo in a DOS application by sending PCL
commands to the printer. I have tried two methods to general the PCL codes.
1. Print the graphic to file using a PCL printer driver.
2. Use PCX2PCL app to generate PCL file from a PCX file.
Both methods seem to work but when I send the PCL file to print, the graphic
generated has vertical lines across it.
I have tried a simple graphic such as a box and the same thing happens. I
get a box with vertical lines across it.

Can you help please.

Marcel Cox

Nov 15, 2003, 3:23:02 PM11/15/03
Jopps,

> Both methods seem to work but when I send the PCL file to print, the graphic
> generated has vertical lines across it.

How do you send the file to your printer?
Is this a network printer?

--
Marcel Cox
Please participate in the Support Forums survey

Jopps

Nov 16, 2003, 5:16:07 PM11/16/03
Marcel

Ultimately I want it to work on a network printer.
However I am currently experimenting on a local printer.
From the DOS prompt, I type "copy <pcl file> lpt1"

Jopps

"Marcel Cox" <cim...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

Marcel Cox

Nov 17, 2003, 5:49:04 AM11/17/03
Jopps wrote:

> However I am currently experimenting on a local printer.

Well, in that case, I'm afraid you might not have chosen the right
newsgroup to pot your question.

--
Marcel Cox SysOp
Please participate in the forum survey

Joe G

Nov 17, 2003, 5:38:06 PM11/17/03
Marcel

> Well, in that case, I'm afraid you might not have chosen the right
> newsgroup to pot your question.

That was the first sentence of my original post !

Jopps

"Marcel Cox" <cim...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

Marcel Cox

Nov 18, 2003, 2:42:46 AM11/18/03
Sorry, you are right.
Anyway, waht I wanted to say is that I have no idea how to help you and
you shouldn't expect too much to get a solution here.

Barry St.John

Nov 18, 2003, 9:57:35 AM11/18/03
I would guess that the PCL being generated is a different version than
what your printer is capable of handling, and the misinterpretation is
what's causing the unwanted lines.
--

-Barry. [Novell Support Forum SysOp]

Joe G

Nov 20, 2003, 7:39:35 PM11/20/03
I have had some help from the HP support forum. For anyone who is
interested, the reason is as follows.

The bitmap image has to be a multiple of 8 bits (ie a whole number of bytes)
wide. (You can fill the extra few bits with white, so it does not affect the
outcome). Height does not matter. This is because the raster image is sent
as a whole number of bytes, so the last one gets munged if its not a whole
byte. And you get a dark line down the image.

Barry St.John

Nov 21, 2003, 5:53:50 PM11/21/03
Interesting! Glad you got it worked out.