DOS (VLM) start up script

Steve Lenaghan

Nov 13, 2003, 11:42:55 AM11/13/03
I am 'finally' getting closer to pulling NWLite off our system and running
everything off our NWSB 4.1 server.
I am using an AST notebook as a test bed but have a few issues.

I set my paths in config.sys but once I get logged on I lose the pathing I
set. It's somewhat critical in the application. If I redefine SET PATH=
after I am logged in it works.

My major problem is that these are dummy mode stations and if they have to
be reset I want the operators to stand back and watch everything reload.
The road block seems to be login. The manual refers to NET LOGIN but
doesn't explain haw to log in without requiring a password, or do they have
to enter one?

I would like to integrate startnet.bat into my autoexec.bat like I do in
NWLite. Are there problems there??

TIA

Steve L.

Barry St.John

Nov 14, 2003, 10:47:52 AM11/14/03
In article <jwOsb.1753$j07...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve Lenaghan
wrote:

> I set my paths in config.sys but once I get logged on I lose the pathing I
> set. It's somewhat critical in the application. If I redefine SET PATH=
> after I am logged in it works.

First, I'm guessing that's a typo and you meant to say AUTOEXEC.BAT. PATH is
set in AUTOEXEC.BAT. To preserve your PATH environment, use MAP INS for your
search paths in the login script. Otherwise you'll wipe out your existing
PATH environment. Example: MAP INS S1:=SYS:PUBLIC

> My major problem is that these are dummy mode stations and if they have to
> be reset I want the operators to stand back and watch everything reload.
> The road block seems to be login. The manual refers to NET LOGIN but
> doesn't explain haw to log in without requiring a password, or do they have
> to enter one?

NET LOGIN is for NWLite. For regular NetWare it's just LOGIN. As for the
password requirement, if you don't set one for an account and don't require
one, you shouldn't get prompted for it. You can then add to your
STARTNET.BAT or AUTOEXEC.BAT: LOGIN username

> I would like to integrate startnet.bat into my autoexec.bat like I do in
> NWLite. Are there problems there??

Nope. That should work just fine.
--

-Barry. [Novell Support Forum SysOp]

Steve Lenaghan

Nov 14, 2003, 1:09:53 PM11/14/03
Thanks,

It was not a typo, I've always set path is config.sys, as I recall I can
have a long path there mine are often 100 characters. This one is shorter
from workstation and is what we use on Lite stations..

SET PATH=c:\;c:\NWDOS;c:\NWCLIENT;F:\MASTAR\ENGINE;c:\util\xtree

I have to put the following command somewhere in the startnet sequence and
this is the configuration for the answering program

SET WKSTATION=STATION3
SET FOXPROCFG=F:\MASTAR\ENGINE\CONFIG.FP
SET MASTAR=sooedrem7
SET MULTI=brmso5rta6

How do I get rid of the password for log in? The work station is running
NWDOS 7 and the password was put in during 'setup' as I recall.

Gee where was Ernie Banks when you needed him??..... Canadian, but Cubbies
at heart, you don't want to know when I was at last game.

Steve L.

"Barry St.John" <Chicago...@CompuDONTServeBUGME.com> wrote in message

Barry St.John

Nov 14, 2003, 6:03:21 PM11/14/03
In article <RT8tb.1062$I04...@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve
Lenaghan wrote:

> The work station is running NWDOS 7

Ah! That explains why you can set the PATH in CONFIG.SYS then. Can't
do that with MS-DOS.

> ...the password was put in during 'setup' as I recall.

Must be a NWLITE thing, then. I didn't play with that too much.
For regular NetWare using the VLM client you run SYS:\LOGIN\LOGIN.EXE
(usually mapped to drive F:, so F:\LOGIN\LOGIN.EXE). It will prompt
you for user ID (unless you provide one on command line) and password
(if needed). Examples:

F:\LOGIN>LOGIN<enter>
Enter username:

-or-

F:\LOGIN>LOGIN USERNAME<enter>
Enter password:

If there is no password assigned to the user ID, LOGIN will not prompt
for a password. If you do have a password assigned and must have a
password assigned, you could pass the password to LOGIN via a file
pipe. Example:

F:\LOGIN>LOGIN USERNAME<PWRD.TXT

PWRD.TXT would contain the password followed by a carriage return.

Of course this method is not at all secure as anyone can simply obtain
the password by reading the PWRD.TXT file.

Not that not having a password is secure, but it could be made more
secure by restricting the user ID to a specific workstation address.

You use the administration tool NWAdmin (NWADMN32.EXE) in
SYS:\PUBLIC\WIN32 to do this.

> Gee where was Ernie Banks when you needed him??

In the stands, of course! <g> No regrets, though. It was a great
season. They got beat legitimately, unlike previous playoffs where
they beat themselves.

Steve Lenaghan

Nov 16, 2003, 6:08:53 PM11/16/03
That worked, once I figgured out pwrd.txt had to be in C: not a network
drive.

Onward

Steve L.