DOS IP Client

Brian Quinn

Jan 27, 2004, 6:40:10 PM1/27/04
I know this is the forum to post and I looked through but did not notice if
there are any posts to running a Dos client with client 2.7 and run IP only.
In the client help file it says it can be done with compatibility mode and
the MA. However each time the client runs Client32 at the end an error
message states the "File server could not be found check cabling....". I
thought it might be a frame mismatch but the frame at the server is
Ethernet_II for client and server. I would like to eliminate IPX if it is
possible. The clients are running DOS 6.22. Any help would be great.

BQ

Dave Lunn

Jan 28, 2004, 2:40:17 AM1/28/04
With IPX having an edge for speed, simplicity and management and you having
DOS WS why would you want to eliminate IP?
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

Barry St.John

Jan 28, 2004, 11:19:16 AM1/28/04
You don't state was version of NetWare you are running. Compatibility
mode would only be needed for NW4x. And you cannot totally eliminate
IPX on NetWare 4x.

I agree with Dave if you are running 4x, then there is no compelling
reason to try to make the client run on IP when IPX really does perform
better there.

If you have other version of NetWare than 4x, then you can go pure IP.
We can help with that, if that is the case.
--

-Barry. [Novell Support Forum SysOp]

Brian Quinn

Jan 28, 2004, 11:57:22 AM1/28/04
I am running Netware 6. It is for a client of mine and they are using
clustering with Netware 6. The dos machines are running apps and they want
the machines to be able to reconnect if one of the nodes fails. That is why
they wanted to use IP. With Ipx, as I understand it the connections from
the DOS machines would have to be restablished manually.
Thanks for any help or advice.

BQ

"Barry St.John" <Cub...@everestDONTkcBUGME.net> wrote in message

Dave Lunn

Jan 28, 2004, 5:43:09 PM1/28/04
There is a setting you can make for that too but it's been a long time since
I have done that. I will see if I can find it in the documentation again.

Sandy

Jan 29, 2004, 4:09:55 AM1/29/04
Brian,

download the NetWare Client for DOS - Pure IP (supported for across-the-wire
server installations), from Novell - I believe this is still the current
version:

http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/srvinst2.exe/

-Sandy

Bqui...@yahoo.com

Jan 29, 2004, 9:00:23 AM1/29/04

Sandy I actually have the client downloaded and it installed and has an IP
address. I can ping the server but when client 32 loads at the end it
cannot find the server. The message says to chexk the cabling. I wasn't
clear in my original post. I even have it working with the boot disk from
cool solutions and can connect with IP. The client loads but it is at the
end where it does not find the server. As soon as I bind IPX to the
server the client connects. It may not be possible to do what I am asking
but I thought I would post a question just in case. Thanks for all the
replies.

Brian

Erwin

Jan 29, 2004, 1:16:10 PM1/29/04
Some nics benefit from a timeout before loading CLIENT32.NLM.
Adding a timeout of 10 secs will enable in these cases the client to
attach where without this timeout no server was found.

Have a look at ready to run solutions at CoolTools that include such a
timeout (and more optimalizations):

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1598.html
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1666.html

The setting to reconnect that Dave mentioned could be:

NetWare Dos Requester
Auto Reconnect = On
Bind Reconnect = On

Erwin

Barry St.John

Jan 29, 2004, 5:09:55 PM1/29/04
Like Erwin says, a delay before loading CLIENT32.NLM often is in order.
Also, you might find it works a whole lot better to use the server's IP
address instead of its name for the preferred server.

Sandy

Feb 1, 2004, 7:05:35 AM2/1/04
Brian,

if you're getting an IP from DHCP, the delay is probably not needed for NIC
initialisation itself, but if you put the delay just before Client32.nlm it
will give more time for SLP (SrvLoc.nlm) to find the preferred tree/server
in Net.cfg.
As Barry says, try replacing the preferred server's name with it's IP
address - if that works, it is an SLP issue.

If the client can't find the server using multicast SLP, you could try
adding the IP address of your SLP DA to Net.cfg (but remember IP in Client32
for DOS is not fully supported by Novell and is not robust - in particular
Client32 for DOS does not use DHCP to get the DA's IP address, DNS name
resolution sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't, and the same with the SLP
DA option in Net.cfg):

SRVLOC
Directory Agent = <IP Address of your SLPDA>

-Sandy

Brian Quinn

Feb 2, 2004, 6:17:22 PM2/2/04
Thanks Sandy that is helpful. I will try that when I go to the client
tonight. I appreciate all the posts and the suggestions .

BQ
"Sandy" <Sandy@_No.Spam> wrote in message