IP boot disk / NET.CFG pointer

Roland Flessner

Jan 14, 2004, 3:40:31 PM1/14/04
I am making a directory on a CD so that I can do a IP only login with
all our usual workstation NICs. I will package the STARTNET.BAT commands
customized for each NIC.

I seem to recall syntax in STARTNET.BAT to point to a specific NET.CFG
file. Obviously I need to be able to do this so that the batch files
will bind IP to the appropriate LAN driver.

What is the syntax?

Thanks!

Barry St.John

Jan 14, 2004, 5:53:11 PM1/14/04
No need for separate NET.CFG files. Each driver gets its own section
in NET.CFG

NET.CFG
-------
Link Driver 3C90X
FRAME Ethernet_II

Link Driver E100B
FRAME Ethernet_II

Link Driver <driver_name>
FRAME Ethernet_II

.
.
.

Protcol TCPIP
IF_CONFIGURATION DHCP
PATH TCP_CFG=<drive>:\<path>\TCP.CFG

--

-Barry. [Novell Support Forum SysOp]

Nw...@veder.com

Jan 15, 2004, 3:25:03 AM1/15/04
> No need for separate NET.CFG files. Each driver gets its own section
> in NET.CFG
>
> NET.CFG
> -------
> Link Driver 3C90X
> FRAME Ethernet_II

True, but this is the format for specifying FrameType with 16-bit ODI
drivers (*.COM). With 32-bit ODI drivers (*.LAN) you specify FrameType on
the "LOAD *.LAN"- line in your StartNet.bat like (repeat per FrameType):

LOAD mynic.LAN FRAME=ETHERNET_II

BTW, both 16- and 32-bit ODI drivers can be used with the 32-bit (NLM)
NetWare client.
See: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2910293.htm

For your IP-boot disk collection you might fancy a plug 'n play
solution on Novell CoolTools with many NIC drivers included already:
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tools/1666.html
And/or check my site http://www.veder.com/nwdsk/ for updates, NIC driver
sources, or as a reference for your own IP boot disk.

HTH,

Erwin

Barry St.John

Jan 15, 2004, 10:49:02 AM1/15/04
Of course, but since he mentioned NET.CFG I just guessed he knew what
he was talking about and was using 16-bit drivers.

Erwin

Jan 15, 2004, 11:27:31 AM1/15/04
> Of course, but since he mentioned NET.CFG I just guessed he knew what
> he was talking about and was using 16-bit drivers.

You are probably right. Point taken ;-)