Re: Incorrect login password results in BSOD

Alan Adams

Jul 18, 2010, 11:27:02 AM7/18/10
ppatterson <ppatt...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> It is a reproducible event on all of the workstations as i
> described below.

The only definitive action would be to configure the machine to
capture a Complete memory dump (or at least Kernel memory dump, which
should already be the default) and open a support case to upload the
dump for analysis.

Unless the bugcheck in question is 0xC000021A, in which case there
will not be a kernel-mode MEMORY.DMP dump file actually being
generated. In that case the Application or System event log may hold
some details confirming which process crashed prior to the blue
screen.

In those cases it's actually just a normal user-mode process
termination of critical Windows processes such as WINLOGON.EXE or
CSRSS.EXE, and you're looking for just the normal process dumps as
would be caught by Windows Error Reporting (WER) (or DRWTSN32, on
Windows 5.x).

Having never seen such a behavior occur, my first suspicion is that it
must be related to some other software on the machine; e.g. something
that is trying to wrap the credential provider and didn't expect
failure, or some software that assumed only a Microsoft authentication
package would ever be used, etc.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com