Re: NWUSERNAME Variable missing in Client Sp1 for Windows 7

Rudolf Thilo

Jul 16, 2010, 9:16:27 AM7/16/10
Hi.

>if i type the "Set" command in a Windows XP environment i get the
>system variable "NWUSERNAME=user-a". In Windows 7 this variable is
>missing. Is this a client or Windows 7 Bug?

It would be the client's responsibility to set this Env-Var.

I just checked that with a Vista-64 VM installation and I can confirm, that the
variable is *NOT* set, even not, if the initial Login was done against eDir.

Regards, Rudi.

Alan Adams

Jul 18, 2010, 11:31:33 AM7/18/10
Ch Theis <Ch_T...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> if i type the "Set" command in a Windows XP environment i get the
> system variable "NWUSERNAME=user-a". In Windows 7 this variable is
> missing. Is this a client or Windows 7 Bug?

That is indeed a bug of the Novell Client for Windows 7. (Bug 463942
to be exact.) The workaround is to add SET NWUSERNAME = "%CN" to your
login script so that you get the same effect.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/

Rudolf Thilo

Jul 19, 2010, 3:32:22 AM7/19/10
Hi.

>That is indeed a bug of the Novell Client for Windows 7. (Bug 463942
>to be exact.) The workaround is to add SET NWUSERNAME = "%CN" to your
>login script so that you get the same effect.

Not really: For that to work the user *MUST* do the edir login with "run login
scripts". Some users un-tick the "run login script" for certain reasons.

Do you know, if that bug will be fixed?

Regards, Rudi.

Alan Adams

Jul 19, 2010, 9:24:40 AM7/19/10
"Rudolf Thilo" <spam...@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> >That is indeed a bug of the Novell Client for Windows 7. (Bug 463942
> >to be exact.) The workaround is to add SET NWUSERNAME = "%CN" to your
> >login script so that you get the same effect.
>
> Not really: For that to work the user *MUST* do the edir login with
> "run login scripts". Some users un-tick the "run login script" for
> certain reasons.

Fair point; the workaround of using a SET statement from the login
script will only work if the login script is being executed.

> Do you know, if that bug will be fixed?

There isn't currently an ETA associated with the bug of when it could
be fixed. If Novell gets customer support cases indicating need for
the variable but for which the workaround is unsuitable, this will
improve the prioritization on this issue.