Novell Client on Windows 7 - login scripts

Julian P

Apr 21, 2009, 3:14:32 PM4/21/09
Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the correct newsgroup - please direct me to the
appropriate place if needed.

Am doing some testing with the Windows 7 Beta - has anyone had any success
with login scripts executing upon user login? I'm finding that I need to
login via the Novell system tray icon for my drive-mapping script to run.

Thanks,
Julian

Alan Adams

Apr 21, 2009, 5:13:20 PM4/21/09
"Julian P" <julian....@removethis.vanymca.org> wrote:

You're seeing the same thing the rest of us see: Even though a LAN
trace will confirm that NCP connections and the eDirectory login were
successfully performed, by the time the user's desktop is built its as
though those NCP connections and eDirectory login aren't associated
with the Windows user's interactive logon session.

Logging in from the red 'N', either instead of or in addition to
logging in from the Windows welcome screen, is the only known
workaround for now.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Alan Adams

Jun 15, 2009, 10:54:42 AM6/15/09
cmherrmann <cmher...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> > Am doing some testing with the Windows 7 Beta - has anyone had any
> > success with login scripts executing upon user login? I'm finding
> > that I need to login via the Novell system tray icon for my drive-
> > mapping script to run.
>

> Same thing here, looking for the answer myself.

Situation is essentially still the same as my April 2009 response
earlier in this thread. Although in addition to the workaround of
logging into eDirectory from the red 'N' instead of from the Windows
welcome screen, its now also known that this issue is specific to the
split-session UAC handling of Administrators group members (a.k.a.
"admin approval mode") on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

So additional workarounds can include disabling admin approval mode in
the UAC security policies, so that Administrators group members are
handled more like non-Administrators users with regard to UAC
elevation. Or, logging in as a non-Administrators member. Or, if
desirable, simply turning off UAC would avoid the issue too.

Although the next IR release of the Novell Client 2 for Windows
Vista/2008 will be intended to address issues for the Vista and 2008
platforms, there is effort to get this particular Windows 7 / 2008 R2
issue mitigated too, to improve the experience with using the Novell
Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 on pre-release Windows 7 and 2008 R2
platforms. No promises yet, though.

Alan Adams

Aug 4, 2009, 1:03:52 PM8/4/09
jsimek <jsi...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> I have the same troubble. Windows 7, Novell client with IR patch installed.
> Anything new about correcting this issue?

Nothing new with regard to being able to work around the issue in the
current shipping Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008. Turning off
UAC, logging on as someone other than an Administrators member, or
changing the manner in which UAC deals with Administrators members are
still the only known workarounds.

There is still expectation that this can be addressed in a future
Novell Client for Windows Vista/2008 client release; there just are
not specifics for "when" that have been shared yet. With the RTM
version of Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 expected to be available to
customers within August 2009, my hopes are presumably with yours for
"soon"...

Alan Adams

Aug 5, 2009, 5:44:21 PM8/5/09
jsimek <jsi...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> I have the same troubble. Windows 7, Novell client with IR patch installed.
> Anything new about correcting this issue?

For avoiding the known Windows 7 incompatibility that caused
eDirectory login scripts to not run for Administrators users, please
use the post-Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 IR1 update:

Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 (IR1)
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Pbt4KBqdmhA~
(Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista-2008 IR1.exe)

Alan Adams

Sep 27, 2009, 7:11:00 PM9/27/09
jjader <jja...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> IR1 already obsolete?

Yes, and IR1 is now replaced with IR1a:

Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 (IR1a)
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=LNCc5ZRHWV4~
Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista-2008 IR1a.exe

While still not officially "the Novell Client for Windows 7", this
IR1a build does address the main known Windows 7-specific
compatibility issue that was being encountered with the Novell Client
2 for Windows Vista/2008.

An actual statement regarding the Windows 7 plan for the Novell Client
is not yet available from product management, so nothing more specific
to refer to at this time.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/

Alan Adams

Nov 30, 2009, 4:29:18 PM11/30/09
dacoopsta <daco...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Anything now?
>
> Interested in rolling out 7 but can't as still running netware 6
> and no client that will work?

The most recent information is available in
http://www.novell.com/support/viewContent.do?externalId=3882364, which
reflects that a January 2010 release date is expected for the official
"for Windows 7" Novell Client.

There is a symptom of "login script and drive mappings are skipped
during the initial login" which is a known Windows 7-specific symptom
related to Windows UAC changes. Although its not officially the "for
Windows 7" client, this issue was addressed in the current Novell
Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008 (IR1a) release available from
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=LNCc5ZRHWV4~. This is the
best Novell Client for Windows release to be running on Windows 7 now
(December 2009).

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com

Novell
Making IT Work As One
www.novell.com

Upgrade to OES Community
http://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/upgradetooes/

Thorsten Kampe

Dec 3, 2009, 9:04:31 AM12/3/09
* difolcod (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:16:02 GMT)
> Hasnt Windows 7 been in test for about a year ?

That would surprise me as Windows 7 RTM was in July and it was
officially released in Octover.

> Doesnt Novel want people to use its software ? They need to get this
> fixed.

Vendors need some time to test their software and release new versions.
How exactly does Novell's development cycle differ from other vendors in
your opinion?

Thorsten

Thorsten Kampe

Dec 3, 2009, 12:24:47 PM12/3/09
* difolcod (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:26:02 GMT)

> Thorsten Kampe;1899199 Wrote:
> > * difolcod (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:16:02 GMT)
> > > Hasnt Windows 7 been in test for about a year ?
> >
> > That would surprise me as Windows 7 RTM was in July and it was
> > officially released in Octover.
> > [color=blue]
>
> Seeing as the first post on this thread is from April, Beta versions
> (with this problem) have been around for longer than July. I believe
> (could be wrong) the first betas went out early 2008.

I don't think Novell betatests Microsoft software.

> Thorsten Kampe;1899199 Wrote:
> > * difolcod (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 12:16:02 GMT)
> >

> > > Doesnt Novel want people to use its software ? They need to get this
> > > fixed.
> >
> > Vendors need some time to test their software and release new
> > versions.
> > How exactly does Novell's development cycle differ from other vendors
> > in
> > your opinion?

> Well with Novell knowing they had an issue from at least April this
> year (from this site), can you tell me how long it should take to fix a
> problem(s) with systems people want to rely on every day ?

As far as I know Novell starts compatibility testing when the final
release is out.

Thorsten

Thorsten Kampe

Dec 3, 2009, 3:48:12 PM12/3/09
* jkarcher (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:56:02 GMT)

> Thorsten Kampe;1899358 Wrote:
> > * difolcod (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 14:26:02 GMT)
[...]
> Thorsten Kampe;1899358 Wrote:
> >
> > > Thorsten Kampe;1899199 Wrote:
> > >
> > > Well with Novell knowing they had an issue from at least April this
> > > year (from this site), can you tell me how long it should take to fix
> > > problem(s) with systems people want to rely on every day ?
> >
> > As far as I know Novell starts compatibility testing when the final
> > release is out.
> >
> > Thorsten
> That's too late to start testing. They should be testing continuously,
> and when the final version comes out, test against that as well. If
> they did continuous testing, they would at least have a leg up, and
> have something prepared before the final version is released.

Novell develops software for companies. Companies are rarely early-
adopters. The bigger the company, the "less early". Most companies wait
at least one year or up to the first SP until they roll-out new
Operating Systems so the vendor can fix bugs and third-party vendors can
catch up.

So Novell and other companies adopted to that cycle.

I had the same experience recently: VMware VI client didn't work on
Windows 7. It was known for half a year (at least) and VMWare didn't
want to "fix" it (release a new version). They waited until one week
ago.

Some people complained. But face it: big customers don't run an
important application on a newly released OS. That would be
irresponsible. You just have to wait a few months. And you should.

Thorsten

Thorsten Kampe

Dec 3, 2009, 5:16:24 PM12/3/09
* jkarcher (Thu, 03 Dec 2009 21:16:02 GMT)
> Thorsten Kampe;1899497 Wrote:
[...]

> > Novell develops software for companies. Companies are rarely early-
> > adopters. The bigger the company, the "less early". Most companies
> > wait
> > at least one year or up to the first SP until they roll-out new
> > Operating Systems so the vendor can fix bugs and third-party vendors
> > can
> > catch up.
> >
> > So Novell and other companies adopted to that cycle.
> >
> > I had the same experience recently: VMware VI client didn't work on
> > Windows 7. It was known for half a year (at least) and VMWare didn't
> > want to "fix" it (release a new version). They waited until one week
> > ago.
> >
> > Some people complained. But face it: big customers don't run an
> > important application on a newly released OS. That would be
> > irresponsible. You just have to wait a few months. And you should.

> How long is a couple months? The final code has been out for 5 months
> now.

It was released on MSDN four months ago. Before that there was no chance
to get the final build unless you went to school with Bill Gates.

> Businesses now like to push the envelope, innovate quickly, and
> that requires using the newest technology possible.

I guess you listened too much to Microsoft's marketing propaganda. There
is a lot of demand for Windows 7 - but mostly on the consumer side.
Companies roll out new clients when they are forced to. That goes for
hardware as well as for software (Operating System).

> As for the VI example, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've
> been using VI2 for months, and the later revision (vSphere client) as
> well, and no, I haven't been running them in XP mode.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/211440 and countless others.

Thorsten

Thorsten Kampe

Dec 4, 2009, 1:57:18 PM12/4/09
* ridemustang (Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:56:03 GMT)
> Now, while other than the lost drive mappings it doesn't present much
> of an issue, for admins seeking Windows 7 we are having to revert to
> Console 3.6.1F as the 3.6.1G version console looks at our "brand new
> 2008 & Vista driver" and says "sorry your client is too out of date"
> for use with the H console one?

You can run 1.3.6 h with a tiny registry hack on Vista/7. It has been
circulating in the newsgroups for some time and there's also a TID for
that. I also suggest you use the latest C1 from the GW 8 SP1 CD which is
supposed to fix the issue (although I haven't tested it yet).

Thorsten

dogn...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2011, 8:49:56 AM10/20/11
I am seeing this issue also. But it is only on the one PC. All PCs (over 100) have been taken from the same ZCM / ENGL image. But this one PC fails to run the login script. Yes, once you have a desktop and login via the red "N" it works fine, maps all relevant drives etc.

I have tried most things so far, the GPO scripts run synchronously, turn of UAC, still the same problem. It's as if it is either Novell client related or PC related as I can logon as the main user of this problem machine on another PC and it works fine - so it is not the user account / profile.

It is definetly something on the PC. I thought it may have been the NIC, so I added static IP details, restarted the PC and like WOW, it did run the script and on two further restarts / logons also. But after that it is back to the original problem now of not running the logon script.

Stumped!!!