Re: Change password in Windows 7

PetervdM

Jul 12, 2010, 2:32:43 PM7/12/10
i think this behaviour can be influenced by setting the client properties,
advanced login, windows password synchronization. this is on by default,
setting it to off might do the trick.
> I have users that have Windows 7 and Novell Client 2 SP1. Sometimes users
> want to change just their Windows Password. It seems that if you do a
> Ctrl Alt Del it prompts you for your old and new password. I assume it
> has then changed your edirectory password. You then have a option to
> select your AD account and Edirectory account. So is it possible to just
> change your Windows AD account without changing your edirectory account.
> This seems rather confusing.

Andrew Knoke

Jul 12, 2010, 5:25:56 PM7/12/10
> So take for example that I might have an eDirectory user "Joe" with
> password "coffee", but a Windows account "Local" with password
> "other". If I'm logged into both eDirectory and Windows and invoke
> the main "Change a password..." link, I must first provide username
> "Joe" and password "coffee" in order to initiate the password change
> process.

Not only do you have to provide the Novell username and current password
but it also prompts you for what you also want for a new password. Then
you get the second login/password change screen where you can deselect
your edirectory and only select windows. Personally I think the whole
first prompt should just be removed. I do not see what purpose it
servers other than confuse everyone.

Alan Adams

Jul 12, 2010, 3:50:56 PM7/12/10
Andrew Knoke <kn...@uwosh.edu> wrote:

> I have users that have Windows 7 and Novell Client 2 SP1. Sometimes
> users want to change just their Windows Password. It seems that if you
> do a Ctrl Alt Del it prompts you for your old and new password. I
> assume it has then changed your edirectory password. You then have a
> option to select your AD account and Edirectory account. So is it
> possible to just change your Windows AD account without changing your
> edirectory account. This seems rather confusing.

Its agreed that the behavior being demonstrated is not entirely
intuitive. The Windows 6.x credential provider architecture is more
geared toward "you're just changing one account password", and doesn't
easily permit from a UI perspective the kind of behavior Novell Client
had on Windows XP/2003.

When you're logged into eDirectory in addition to Windows, pressing
CTRL-ALT-DEL and invoking the "Change a password..." link will prompt
you for your eDirectory existing password & new password. And you
must actually provide your existing eDirectory password, even if your
intention isn't to actually change the eDirectory password.

Upon successfully providing that information though, you will see
"Verifying network credentials...", which is true; you must provide
the correct existing eDirectory password. HOWEVER, no password is
actually changed at this point.

Instead, after successfully providing the existing eDirectory password
(plus the new password, although it hasn't been used yet) the Novell
Client then displays the "Change Password" dialog you'll be more
familiar with seeing from the Novell Client for Windows XP/2003. Which
allows you to see which eDirectory tree(s) you're about to attempt
changing the password on, as well as your Windows account.

This second "Change Password" dialog will have been pre-populated with
the eDirectory existing password & new password information you had
just provided, but you can actually change or re-type the password
information if needed. In addition you can select or de-select which
resources you want to change the password for.

Only once you hit OK on this second "Change Password" dialog do any
password change attempts occur, and only for the specific resource(s)
you have selected.

So take for example that I might have an eDirectory user "Joe" with
password "coffee", but a Windows account "Local" with password
"other". If I'm logged into both eDirectory and Windows and invoke
the main "Change a password..." link, I must first provide username
"Joe" and password "coffee" in order to initiate the password change
process.

But if what I actually want to do is change only my Windows account
password, once Novell Client displays the second "Change Password"
dialog, I would de-select all resources except my Windows account, and
then I would re-type the "Old password" field to have "other" instead
of "coffee", and I would type/re-type the "New password" fields if
necessary to have the new password I want for the Windows account.

Upon pressing OK on the second "Change Password" dialog, ONLY a
Windows account password change would occur, and the eDirectory
account password would not be changed. Even though I had to provide
the existing eDirectory account password in order to initiate the
password change process.

Alan Adams
Novell Client CPR Group
alan....@novell.com