Re: add secondary address to nw6.5

Anders Gustafsson

Jul 12, 2010, 4:38:37 PM7/12/10
Mcnabney,
> further to my original question then, i've discovered in my research
> today that it seems adding a second ip address on any given nic only
> works if its got the same network portion.

Can you please elaborate? What do you mean by "got the same network
portion". Do you have IP forwarding on on the server? You have to
unless the two networks are connected by another routing device.

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

Anders Gustafsson

Jul 12, 2010, 1:06:20 PM7/12/10
Mcnabney,
> I'm apprehensive about changing the ip address on both units and
> rebooting (particularly the GW), so is it possible for me simply add the
> new network address as a secondary ip?
Yes.

> That way i can slowly migrate the
> rest of the network over to 192.168.x.x, and clients can access them at
> either address? Does the GW complicate this? Or it is wisest to just
> bite the bullet and change the ip address.

Not at all, just add the address, reconfigure the agents to use it and
reload them.

Anders Gustafsson

Jul 13, 2010, 3:03:23 AM7/13/10
Mcnabney,
> each server has 2 nics... 90.0.0.150/90.0.0.151 and
> 90.0.0.100/90.0.0.101. most traffic seems to cross 150 and 100. there is
> no ip forwarding.

That is natural as they are both in the same subnet and no IP forwarding
needs to take place. Let me clear up some confusion: There are two ways to
add additional IP addresses to the same NIC on NetWare:

Secondary IP address
They are always within the same subnet. Ie if a NIC is 90.0.0.150, then
you can add 151, 152 etc to the same NIC with ADD SECONDARY IPADDRESS (or
in the INETCFG menu on 6.5)

Secondaries are often used to "host" services, since they can easily be
moved, for example between cluster nodes.

Regular binding
Is added in INETCFG/Bindings and are generally in another subnet.

Thus, to add 192.168.1.100 to the NIC that already has 90.0.0.150, you
just go into INETCFG/Bindings and add it as you would any binding. You
then need to make sure that something, either the server or a router,
routes packets between 192.168.1.x and 90.0.0.x as they are now on
separate networks.

Bindings are mostly used to bridge different network segments, but can be
put to other creative uses as well.