HP Proliant DL380 G6 - drivers during setup?

Alan Thompson

Feb 23, 2010, 10:40:13 AM2/23/10

I have this server and need to install NetWare 6.5 on it...

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-3328412-241475-241475-3884082-3999334.html?lang=en&jumpid=oc_R1002_UKENC-001_HP%20ProLiant%20DL380%20G6%20Special%20Rack%20Server&cc=uk

Can I simply do a 'default' install or do I need to do a 'manual' install
and add the drivers?
HP drivers are in NLM format, do I just add them the same as I would with a
HAM file?
Gone are the days when I could do a hassle-free smartstart build!

Cheers
Alan

Massimo Rosen

Feb 23, 2010, 10:55:50 AM2/23/10

Alan Thompson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have this server and need to install NetWare 6.5 on it...
>
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/15351-15351-3328412-241475-241475-3884082-3999334.html?lang=en&jumpid=oc_R1002_UKENC-001_HP%20ProLiant%20DL380%20G6%20Special%20Rack%20Server&cc=uk
>
> Can I simply do a 'default' install or do I need to do a 'manual' install
> and add the drivers?

The latter.

> HP drivers are in NLM format, do I just add them the same as I would with a
> HAM file?

No, you need to extract the HAM and DDI from them. Hint: the HP nlms are
merely zip files, any zip tool should be able to expand them.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Alan Thompson

Feb 23, 2010, 11:55:47 AM2/23/10
Ah, didn't know that!
Having said that, I've extracted the contents of the NLM's, and tried adding
the files during install, and it says "No storage driver files (*.HAM,
*.CDM) or their description files (*.DDI) were found at this path"

I'm trying to install them via a USB drive/stick. The path is as shown on my
Windows machine. You select the path to the route of the files, not the path
& filename right?

Alan

Massimo Rosen

Feb 23, 2010, 3:09:25 PM2/23/10

Alan Thompson wrote:

> Ah, didn't know that!
> Having said that, I've extracted the contents of the NLM's, and tried adding
> the files during install, and it says "No storage driver files (*.HAM,
> *.CDM) or their description files (*.DDI) were found at this path"
>
> I'm trying to install them via a USB drive/stick. The path is as shown on my
> Windows machine. You select the path to the route of the files, not the path
> & filename right?

I take it this machine doesn't have a floppy or optical drive, just USB
stick? That's pretty tricky to get working at this stage of the setup.
I've ended up formatting an old stick with NSS in another server, and
put the drivers on that.