Re: Downing NW 6.5 server does not go to DOS

Massimo Rosen

Jan 28, 2010, 5:24:01 PM1/28/10

ttye wrote:

> Have a new server built - Netware 6.5 (sp 6) on Dell PE 1950 hardware.
> When issusing the down command, the server does not go to DOS - instead
> it hangs on a blank screen.

Two things:

1. No Netware server in the last years goes to dos on a down. Instead,
it switches off.

2. Your hang when downing is a known issue between Dell and pre-SP8
Netware. You need to install SP8.

> Need to access DOS to modify some drivers and ini files.

You can do that from the console (tbx, edit), remote manager (nrm), or
even any client (load dosfat.nss).

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Marcel Cox

Jan 29, 2010, 3:46:56 AM1/29/10
ttye wrote:

>The Dell 1750 servers didnt seem to have this problem.

The freeze at shutdown problem is a problem specific to the x9xx or later
Dell Servers

>And I believe in the power manager settings I have it set so they can go
>to dos?

The power off at shutdown is a feature caused by ACPI support in NetWare
with the help of the ACPIDRV.PSM driver loaded at startup. That same
driver also handles multiprocessor support. You can turn off the power off
at shutdown feature through a SET parameter but that may not be
recommended because when switching from ACPI to non ACPI mode, some
hardware may be left in an undefined state and could get stuck if the
server were restarted without reboot.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums

Marcel Cox

Feb 19, 2010, 9:07:54 AM2/19/10
2 things:

1) Verifiy that the server.exe update form SP8 got correctly applied. For
this, issue the command VERSION and the server console and check if it
reports SP8

2) Verify the version of your USB drivers by using the command:
M *.CAD

You should typically see 2 drivers from February 2008

3) What BIOS version is your server using?