iManager errors

Robert H Jenson

Feb 2, 2010, 5:43:53 PM2/2/10
We have a number of servers (mostly NetWare with 3 OES SLES) running in a single tree. The NetWare servers are all running NetWare 6.5 SP8 and edir 8.8.4. We also have a number of servers running in several other single server or two server trees. When I run iManager on one of the single server trees it seems to work great. When I run iManager on a server in our multi-server tree it runs slow and frequently gives error messages. The most frequent errors seem to be when trying to manage iPrint, but that may be because that is what we seem to use iManager for the most. The most common error in iPrint seems to be: NDPS Library Error: 700005h and Exception reading whatever resource we are trying to look at.

I have updated all the iManagers to 2.7.3 and installed the latest npm's for whatever we are using. I have tried running iManager from more than one server in the tree including the server where we are trying to manage iPrint.

The most identifiable difference between the setups is that due to security audits we have attempted to "harden" the installation of Apache and Tomcat on servers in the multi-server tree where many of the servers are located on our main campus. We have not yet gotten around to  applying some of the same things to most of our single server trees which are mostly located at remote locations outside the campus firewall.

Assuming, some of the hardening process has caused our problems, can anyone tell me what we may have changed that would cause the affects we see. If you know of a solution that is not related to what we have done, I would appreciate that as well.

Robert Jenson

David Gersic

Feb 4, 2010, 9:52:13 PM2/4/10
On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:43:53 +0000, Robert H Jenson wrote:

> We have a number of servers (mostly NetWare with 3 OES SLES) running in
> a single tree. The NetWare servers are all running NetWare 6.5 SP8 and
> edir 8.8.4. We also have a number of servers running in several other
> single server or two server trees. When I run iManager on one of the
> single server trees it seems to work great. When I run iManager on a
> server in our multi-server tree it runs slow and frequently gives error
> messages.

"Slow" could be that whatever it's doing it's using non-indexed searches
to find the object(s) you're working with. Errors, on the other hand,
could be something else.

> The most identifiable difference between the setups is that due to
> security audits we have attempted to "harden" the installation of Apache
> and Tomcat on servers in the multi-server tree where many of the servers
> are located on our main campus.

Well, the most obvious test to see if this is part of the problem would
be to un-do these changes and see if things get better. If so, you've
found a clue as to what's going wrong. If not, you can then eliminate
these changes as being relevant.

Off hand, I can't think of any Apache or Tomcat "hardening" that would
cause what you're describing, but it might also be interesting to know
what changes you've been making. If you can describe that, perhaps one of
us with an otherwise working iManager can test the same things to see if
they do cause this.

You could also try iManager Workstation, to see if you note the same
symptoms when using it.

David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the newsgroups. No support provided via email.