Re: Any Benefit to eDir or No eDir

Edward van der Maas

Feb 19, 2010, 6:30:03 PM2/19/10
SJFast911 wrote:

> Tonight I am redoing one of our iManager servers with
> Sles10sp3/Oes2sp2 64bit. Currently it Sles10sp2/Oes2sp1 32bit.
> Currently the server has eDir installed on it and it is in our tree.
> There is some debate of whether there is an real benefit of having
> eDir on the server as with iManager it is really not necessary. Does
> putting eDir on an iManager server just increase over head or is
> there some real benefit to it?
>
> All opinions are welcome.
>
> Thanks
> Scott

If you are just after iManager I'd go for a SLES 10/11 box with just
iMan on it. Saves you a license for OES

--
Cheers,
Edward

Massimo Rosen

Feb 21, 2010, 1:49:41 PM2/21/10
Edward,

Edward van der Maas wrote:

> If you are just after iManager I'd go for a SLES 10/11 box with just
> iMan on it. Saves you a license for OES

Huh? What license? I strongly assume he already has OES, the number of
servers is then totally irrelevant. In opposite to that, SLES11 would
need one (SLes10 would be ok, as that comes with OES2 too).

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Massimo Rosen

Feb 21, 2010, 1:51:28 PM2/21/10

SJFast911 wrote:

> Tonight I am redoing one of our iManager servers with Sles10sp3/Oes2sp2
> 64bit. Currently it Sles10sp2/Oes2sp1 32bit.

And why do you redo it?

> Currently the server has
> eDir installed on it and it is in our tree. There is some debate of
> whether there is an real benefit of having eDir on the server as with
> iManager it is really not necessary. Does putting eDir on an iManager
> server just increase over head or is there some real benefit to it?

There's only a benefit of having eDir lcally if it also holds replicas
of most of the things you have to manager with it, as then it could do
it locally, and not over the network. Other than that, eDir really isn't
needed on an iManager server.

Edward van der Maas

Feb 21, 2010, 4:16:33 PM2/21/10
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Edward,
>
> Edward van der Maas wrote:
> >
> > If you are just after iManager I'd go for a SLES 10/11 box with just
> > iMan on it. Saves you a license for OES
>
> Huh? What license? I strongly assume he already has OES, the number of
> servers is then totally irrelevant.

Huh ? Don't you need a license per OES server you install ?

--
Cheers,
Edward

Massimo Rosen

Feb 21, 2010, 4:25:22 PM2/21/10
Edward,

Edward van der Maas wrote:

> Massimo Rosen wrote:
>
> > Edward,
> >
> > Edward van der Maas wrote:
> > >
> > > If you are just after iManager I'd go for a SLES 10/11 box with just
> > > iMan on it. Saves you a license for OES
> >
> > Huh? What license? I strongly assume he already has OES, the number of
> > servers is then totally irrelevant.
>
> Huh ? Don't you need a license per OES server you install ?

Of course not. Same as Netware. Servers are unlimited.

Edward van der Maas

Feb 21, 2010, 4:27:07 PM2/21/10
Massimo Rosen wrote:

> Of course not. Same as Netware. Servers are unlimited.

oh....well that says enough on how often I deal with licenses

--
Cheers,
Edward

Massimo Rosen

Feb 22, 2010, 5:10:43 PM2/22/10

SJFast911 wrote:

> Reason to redo it is to get the benefit of 64bit over 32bit.

Excuse my ignorance, but where exactly do you see a benefit of 64bit on
an iManager server?