Disabled users and undeliverable status

Mike Gerst

Jan 28, 2010, 5:04:41 PM1/28/10
HI all,

When we disable a GW account, the GWIA 7.0.3 software continues to accept messages to that user and does not return them as undeliverable.

The messages DO NOT get delivered to the GW account.

We've reviewed the settings in C1 and the gwia.cfg file.  No switch appears to do that.  This there a combination that might cause this effect.

We need disabled accounts to reject email so the sender gets a undeliverable message.

MIke

Massimo Rosen

Jan 29, 2010, 3:09:39 AM1/29/10

> Mike Gerst wrote:
>
> HI all,
>
> When we disable a GW account, the GWIA 7.0.3 software continues to
> accept messages to that user and does not return them as
> undeliverable.

Yes.

> The messages DO NOT get delivered to the GW account.

Yes, they do. Or somethign in your system is seriously foul. Disabling
an account merely means the user can't login to it. That's all, nothing
else chnages. If you want to stop the account from receiving mail,
expire it.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Ted Kumsher

Jan 29, 2010, 11:48:08 AM1/29/10
Yes -- perhaps you mean expire, as that will accept emails, not deliver
them, and then send a bounce message (very annoying).

Mike Gerst

Jan 29, 2010, 1:18:33 PM1/29/10
More details about our situation.

The GW account is expired and visibility is set to NONE.
The user cannot login to the account. (it is disabled)

The account is not receiving messages.

A message sent within the GW system will report "undeliverable, that the account is expired"
A message sent from outside the GW system through the GWIA, does not return an "undeliverable" message to the sender.

We know these messages are arriving at the GWIA and the GWIA accepts them.  We have done a Telnet session on port 25 and manually sent to the expired, invisible, and disabled account without the GWIA reporting an error or an undeliverable message returned to the sending address.

We need these "undeliverables" to be returned to the sender.  We suspect something is configured incorrectly or something is corrupt.

Mike

Ted Kumsher

Feb 1, 2010, 3:59:20 PM2/1/10
Create a class of service that does not allow incoming smtp email and add
this user to that class of service.

Otherwise -- the gwia will accept the email, figure out that the account is
expired, and then create a bounce message to the original sender that says
something like "not used". I don't remember exactly. That outbound message
should be treated just like any other outbound email from that GWIA.

Ted