Re: Sending mail from one server to a second GWIA

Massimo Rosen

Jan 27, 2010, 6:46:00 PM1/27/10

Dundaur wrote:

> We are currently using 7.0.3 HP4 on NetWare 6.5 SP7. All outbound mail
> passes through a single GWIA. The boss wants to send all mail from
> specific addresses, from within our domain, to a second GWIA in order to
> reduce the workload on that GWIA. (i.e. everything sent from the
> computer science department goes through their own GWIA).
>
> After doing some research, I'm confused as to the best way to approach
> this. Does anybody have any suggestions?

You need to have these users in a seperate Post Office to be able to do
this. If that *really* makes sense is an entirely different question.
GWIA is an extremely capable little beast, and usually only limited by
the network bandwith. As long as the other GWIA doesn't have it's own
internet line, I don't see much sense in doing this for workload
reasons.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Michael Bell

Jan 28, 2010, 11:55:53 AM1/28/10
On 1/27/2010 9:06 AM, Dundaur wrote:

> We are currently using 7.0.3 HP4 on NetWare 6.5 SP7. All outbound mail
> passes through a single GWIA. The boss wants to send all mail from
> specific addresses, from within our domain, to a second GWIA in order to
> reduce the workload on that GWIA. (i.e. everything sent from the
> computer science department goes through their own GWIA).
>
> After doing some research, I'm confused as to the best way to approach
> this. Does anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Phil Arnold
> University of Central Arkansas

GWIA, given sufficient bandiwidth can handle a couple million messages
per gwia per day. Are you really hittig that?

Michael Bell

Jan 29, 2010, 11:31:08 AM1/29/10
On 1/28/2010 9:26 AM, Dundaur wrote:

> We are no where close to that limit. It usually sends/recieves about
> 32,000 messages a day. Maybe bringing up a second GWIA to reduce
> workload is not what we want to do. Thanks for the input.
>
> Phil

Then indeed a second gwia serves no purpose unless you want fault tolerance.