Reading GWIA Logs

David Hodgson

Jan 27, 2010, 3:47:10 PM1/27/10
Hello,

Yesterday, someone sent an e-mail to three people at our agency, but none of them received the e-mail.  I'm trying to track down where the message got lost, but am having trouble understanding the log files.

In the GWIA log file, I see the following entries:

12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 Processing inbound message: GW-SVR/VOL1:\GROUPWIS\GWDOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\receive\ADEDE5B4.601
12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 Sender: muhaned_...@dot.ca.gov
12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 Recipient: JCac...@sacog.org
12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 Recipient: DGhi...@sacog.org
12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 Recipient: sok...@sacog.org
12:24:20 5D2 MSG 344712 File: GW-SVR/VOL1:\GROUPWIS\GWDOMAIN\WPGATE\GWIA\wpcsin\4\4b5edef4.i21 Message Id: (4B5F4F74.61E:13:54814) Size: 1.9 Kb
12:24:20 5D2 The message was sent to the postmaster as attachment: ADEDE5B4.601

I think this means that we accepted and received the e-mail from the sender.  Any ideas where I would go from here to find out why the message never made it to the end users?

thanks,

david

Massimo Rosen

Jan 27, 2010, 6:48:09 PM1/27/10

> David Hodgson wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday, someone sent an e-mail to three people at our agency, but
> none of them received the e-mail. I'm trying to track down where the
> message got lost, but am having trouble understanding the log files.
>
> In the GWIA log file, I see the following entries:

> 12:24:20 5D2 The message was sent to the postmaster as attachment:
> ADEDE5B4.601
>
> I think this means that we accepted and received the e-mail from the
> sender. Any ideas where I would go from here to find out why the
> message never made it to the end users?

Well, the last line of the log clearly says it, no? GWIA most likely
couldn't decode the mime properly, and so it sent the whole thing to the
configured postmaster.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

David Hodgson

Jan 28, 2010, 10:54:54 AM1/28/10
Hi Massimo,

Do you know what would cause GroupWise to not be able to decode the mime properly?  One of our uses had the sender re-send the e-mail and it came through just fine the second time.

Also, the sender never received any notification that the e-mail didn't make it through.  Is there some way to configure GroupWise to notify the sender in a case like this?

thanks,

david

>>> Massimo Rosen<mros...@SPAMcfc-it.de> 1/27/2010 3:48 PM >>>

Massimo Rosen

Jan 28, 2010, 12:13:49 PM1/28/10

> David Hodgson wrote:
>
> Hi Massimo,
>
> Do you know what would cause GroupWise to not be able to decode the
> mime properly?

Usually syntax errors in the mime, or the use of non-standarized mime
extensions that GW doesn't support.

> One of our uses had the sender re-send the e-mail and
> it came through just fine the second time.

So either the first attempt got corrupted somewhere on the way
(unlikely), or the second try wasn't exactly identical.

> Also, the sender never received any notification that the e-mail
> didn't make it through.

Correct, because it did make it to your system, just not to the intended
receipients mailbox.

> Is there some way to configure GroupWise to
> notify the sender in a case like this?

No. That's what a postmaster in an email system is there for.