Re: How to stop Undeliverable emails going out..

Massimo Rosen

Jan 15, 2010, 5:46:17 PM1/15/10

Varuniw wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Our ISP is not a happy bunny that lots of Undeliverable external emails
> are going out to the sender. Our GW system is version 7.0.3. I changed
> the GWIA's, Optional Gateway Settings, Outbound status level from
> "Undeliverable" to "None". The GWIA restarted automatically and it is
> still happening.
>
> Any ideas anyone ?

1. *Much* more infor please.

2. GWIA doesn't send bounces. Do you have a relay host in front of GWIA?
If yes, *that* is the offender.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

Massimo Rosen

Jan 19, 2010, 2:11:31 PM1/19/10

Varuniw wrote:

> Hi Massimo,
>
> Thanks for that. just to explain we have groupwise post-offices, then
> MTA, a GWIA, then a Mailsweeper server.

Then it's (of course I have to say) Mailsweepers fault.

> So from an incoming point of view, mailsweeper receives a message,
> passes to GWIA,

If the user isn't known in GWIA, Mailsweeper will not be able to pass it
to GWIA at all. GWIA denies it, and is doen with it. If that results in
a bounce to the original sender, then Mailsweeper is either
misconfigured or crap, or both.

> If the address does not exist then what is it that sends the NDR,
> post-offiice, MTA, GWIA ?.

Nobody. GWIA knows that users don't exist, it never even accepts the
mail, and it never gets anywhere. Your problem is that Mailsweeper
doesn't know the list of valid users, so it blindly accepts anything
sent to your mail. How or if Mailsweeper can be made aware of your users
is something I don't know. But it's the only proper solution. Your
*first* entry point for emails must essentially be able to determine if
a receipient exists or not. If it can't do that, that product isn't fit
for real world use.

Massimo Rosen

Jan 22, 2010, 5:46:17 PM1/22/10

Varuniw wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I was going through the GW SMTP/Mime Switches in the documentation and
> there is a /dsn and /nodsn switch. /dsn lookes like it enables Delivery
> Status Notification. The documentation talks about a /nodsn but there
> is no explanation as to what this is except the obvious one.

You're still barking up the to completely wrong tree. There is nothing
you can do in Groupwise to "fix" anything, as there is absolutely
nothing wrong there. DSN has absolutely nothing to with this.

> The documentation I was looking at was in 'Novell Doc: GroupWise 7
> Administration Guide - SMTP/MIME Switches'
> (http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw7/gw7_admin/data/aig15tm.html).
>
> Any ideas ?

No different one than the last time. Your problem is Mailsweeper, not
Groupwise. You cannot do anything in Groupwise to change that.

Massimo Rosen

Mar 6, 2010, 5:55:23 AM3/6/10

FredCEO wrote:

> We are having problems with receiving and sending emails to the State of
> Georgia's Groupwise program. We are a contractor with State of GA. When
> we send to State of GA, they keep getting repeats of our emails.
> However, we cannot receive any emails from the State of Georgia. I need
> to know how to tell them to find and send me the headers from those
> emails. I cannot find the instructions on the website. Any assistance is
> greatly appreciated.

Please start a new thread, as your problem doesn't have any connection
to this topic here. And when you do, please provide some detail,
otherwise it's impossible to help. For instance, the real domain name
you're sending to, and the error message they receive when they try to
send to you.