Re: GWIA not sending mail(450 Host down)

Dave Parkes

Jan 21, 2010, 6:21:58 AM1/21/10
Have you checked/changed any traffic filters to suit the new addresses,
DNS seems to be working, but port 25 traffic doesn't seem to be allowed
out - that's why all the hosts are down.

Are you seeing any incoming mail ?

Cheers Dave

--
Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

Dave Parkes

Jan 28, 2010, 10:11:59 AM1/28/10
Sounds like the GWIA should only be talking to the Linux box then ?. If
so, then you need the relay host settings in place for the GWIA, there
should be an /mh setting in the GWIA startup file that points to the Linux
box

Dave Parkes

Jan 29, 2010, 4:59:44 AM1/29/10
So the Linux box is only used to handle incoming mail ?, or is it supposed
to handle both incoming and outgoing. I'm not clear on that from your
description.

From the log files, it looks like the GWIA is trying to send directly to
the receiving servers and is finding the target server address, so DNS
seems to be OK, but when the GWIA tries to establish a port 25 connection,
then that fails, hence the 'Host Down' messages.

You say that some messages are going out successfully, so what does that
look like in the logs ?, also is the GWIA logging set to verbose ?

The SCA log entries are the GWIA moving an incoming mail over to the MTA,
but that particular message must have been a fair size to take so long to
move ?

As for the backscatter thing, the GWIA doesn't send mail replies out to
unknown recipients any more and hasn't for a long time, so there is
nothing you need to do about that as far as the GWIA is concerned.
However, if incoming mail is first received by the Linux box, then that is
a separate issue as to how that handles it.

Dave Parkes

Jan 30, 2010, 5:50:51 AM1/30/10
How does the GWIA machine talk to the outside world, directly or NAT ?

This is looking more and more like a bad wire to me, I'd talk to your new
ISP and have them do a thorough check of the connections.

Dave Parkes

Feb 1, 2010, 5:59:28 AM2/1/10
Good news, glad you solved it <g>