Long Filenames

1 view

Tim Ferguson

Dec 4, 2000, 4:09:21 PM12/4/00
Why, when I or others with administrative rights, FTP in to a server
get the full file name regardless of length while our faculty members,
when FTP-ing in under their 'faculty' context, get only 8 letters (can
spell the word right off the top of my head).

This appears to be a right problem but since they are logging-in to
their home directory they already have full rights.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Ferguson
Director of Technology

Martin Jacobs

Dec 8, 2000, 9:37:29 AM12/8/00
Hi Tim,

Tim Ferguson schrieb:

> Why, when I or others with administrative rights, FTP in to a server
> get the full file name regardless of length while our faculty members,
> when FTP-ing in under their 'faculty' context, get only 8 letters (can
> spell the word right off the top of my head).
>
> This appears to be a right problem but since they are logging-in to
> their home directory they already have full rights.

Months ago I experienced a similar problem trying ftp file transfer
from an S/390 host to our nw 5.0 file server. The S/390 could not
send files with long file names. Strange thing, UNICON showed that
the ftp server itself was configured to use name space LONG. Then I
discovered that the ftp server does additional a session specific
name space configuration based on some guessing about what type of
client is connecting. The solution was: sending a SITE LONG command
from the client to the ftp server switched the session back to
supporting long name space.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jacobs, Weru AG, Germany

S. Janssen

Dec 12, 2000, 11:35:51 AM12/12/00
In article <3A30F229...@weru.de>, Martin Jacobs <mja...@weru.de>
wrote:
The same problem here;
When authenticated users connect, regardless who or what rights they
have, they will see the files in a long naming space format. When I
connect as being anonymous, the filenamingspace is suddenly DOS. I have
found no way to fix this, except for the one mentioned above. Still, I
can't consider this an option. Explaining all anonymous clients to
quote SITE LONG to the FTP server. It was such a big annoyance, I was
forced to switch to the new FTPD.NLM, hosted in the Novell Public Beta
site.

(the file isn't there btw, and I'm rather upset with novell, because I
wrote to the Web-admin for about 5 times, never even received a reply
on the topic.)

If you want me to hand you the FTPD.NLM I can mail it to you. You'll
see that it's a nice thing to handle, and it doesn't need anymore then
just this NLM, no other services or settings needed, except for one
FTPSERV.CFG that is easily written. If you want this I can mail it to
you, it's still in Novells' arj's security enveloppe, so no way I've
meddled with it;)

Steph Janssen,
Sysadmin

* Sent from Novell Discussion Forums http://novell.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *

Hugh

Dec 12, 2000, 9:45:03 PM12/12/00
Steph,

I am having the same problem on my nw50 ftp server, though Long option
is enabled in the fpt server. Would you please email me the file to
try out (cmpc...@yahoo.com). Thanks.

Hugh

Tim Ferguson

Dec 15, 2000, 8:27:32 AM12/15/00
Steph,

I, too, would appreciate your e-mailing me the file as well. The
SITE LONG command works but with teachers with varying amounts of
technical expertise, I think it may create more problems.
I am using ftpd with my NW5.1 servers. Is this the same one? Didn't
even cross my mind that it might have backward compatibility! It does
have the config and restrict files you have to set up manually rather
than UNICON.

Thanks for all your help!

Tim

Tim Ferguson