PLPD not working after SP8

1 view

Frank Langner

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
In a 2 server environment, after upgrading 1 server to SP8a, the unix
print services doesn't work properly.

Server 1: hosting the print queues, NW4.11, SP6
Server 2: running unix-to-netware print services, NW4.11, now SP8
(formerly SP6)

Looking at the audit log, startup seems to be ok:

-- Begin Log --
LOG_RECORD: [ 94,39421a6a]PLPD-Debug-475: From file jobdb.c at line 310
CreateBitTable: Set the bitmap size to: 130

LOG_RECORD: [ 148,39421a6a]PLPD-Debug-540: From file jobdb.c at line 867
PlpdLoadSvrJobDB: Initial number of entries in the job database is: 0
and 0
jobs were rejected

LOG_RECORD: [ 80,39421a6a]PLPD-Debug-963: From file mntaindb.c at line
599
Maintenance cycle starting

LOG_RECORD: [ 112,39421a6b]PLPD-Debug-961: From file mntaindb.c at line
695
Maintenance: total queued jobs = 0 for Q_Flur_OG_A error 0

LOG_RECORD: [ 97,39421a6b]PLPD-Debug-964: From file mntaindb.c at line
794
Maintenance cycle ending, serviced 1 queues
-- End Log --

When trying to print using the exported queue, the following messages
appear:

-- begin log ---
LOG_RECORD: [ 126,39421a8b]PLPD-Debug-685: From file lpdjob.c at line
1021
CreateNetwareJob: Looking for the PrintconEntry Associated with the
queue

LOG_RECORD: [ 106,39421a8b]PLPD-Debug-715: From file lpdjob.c at line
1243
The new printjob has a NetWare Job Number of 33193985

LOG_RECORD: [ 149,39421a94]PLPD-Error-740:
A Disk Error Occured. Unable to write to the desired NetWare print
queue.
Reason: Error 0 Queue: Q_Flur_OG_A File: Testseite

LOG_RECORD: [ 129,39421a94]PLPD-Error-655:
Unable to transfer the print job to the queue. Reason: Unknown error
Queue: Q_Flur_OG_A File: Testseite

LOG_RECORD: [ 124,39421a94]PLPD-Error-660:
Unable to abort the current print job. The queue does not exist.
Queue:
Q_Flur_OG_A File: Testseite

LOG_RECORD: [ 125,39421a94]PLPD-Error-665:
Unable to remove the aborted print job. The queue does not exist.
Queue:
Q_Flur_OG_A File: Testseite

LOG_RECORD: [ 71,39421a94]PLPD-Error-799:
Unable to logout from the remote server. Error #-1
-- end log --

NetDB is logged in properly, using the unix handler account.

I've already tried TID 1003984 and 2913422, but with no success. Can
anybody help?

Chan

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00

Did you say that you have applied sp8a ?
There should be a directory sys:etc\lpdspool (unless you have moved it
?) . Who are the trustees of this directory ? The Unix service handler
should have full access to this queue. I suggest granting all objects
created by the Unix Print installation, full access to this directory.
i.e. Unix service handlers, Unicon Manager etc.
The user that is specified in Unicon i.e. Default user. Is this user
object a user of the Novell print queue ?
Try creating a Novell print queue on the server (i.e. Unix services
server), exporting it and then check if it works.
Are there any ipx comms problems between both servers ? DO you
sometimes get the error on debug "Unable to login to remote queue..."
Please check ipx socket failures in inetcfg. If so increase max ipx
sockets ?
Is there any directory space limit (for lpdspool) ? or user space limit
( for default user) on the volume ?

Hope this works

Regards
Chan

* Sent from Novell Discussion Forums http://novell.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *

Frank Langner

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00

In article <283beef1...@usw-ex0106-048.remarq.com>,
chan.naid...@eskom.co.za.invalid says...

> Did you say that you have applied sp8a ?

yes

> There should be a directory sys:etc\lpdspool (unless you have moved it
> ?) . Who are the trustees of this directory ? The Unix service handler
> should have full access to this queue. I suggest granting all objects
> created by the Unix Print installation, full access to this directory.
> i.e. Unix service handlers, Unicon Manager etc.

for testing, I gave myself (as the user who wants to print) and the Unix
Service Handler-User supervisory rights for the whole tree: no success.

What do you mean with "Unicon Manager"? When I am using Unicon, I login
as admin...

> The user that is specified in Unicon i.e. Default user. Is this user
> object a user of the Novell print queue ?

yes, and for testing got supervisory rights to the tree, too.

> Try creating a Novell print queue on the server (i.e. Unix services
> server), exporting it and then check if it works.

This works! This again points to a communication problem in my opinion...
After this, I configured a print queue on another server with SP8a,
exported this queue and *it works*!!

Seems the different SP levels don't work together. Maybe I should update
the DS on the SP6-server and test again...

> Are there any ipx comms problems between both servers ? DO you
> sometimes get the error on debug "Unable to login to remote queue..."

no such messages on console or product kernel screen

> Please check ipx socket failures in inetcfg. If so increase max ipx
> sockets ?

where can I find this? Looking at the LAN statistics everything seems to
be fine (ok, some errors but not much compared to the total count of
transmitted packets). Communication between my WS and this server is ok,
as well as communication between this server and the backup server. So I
don't think it's a real communication problem.

> Is there any directory space limit (for lpdspool) ? or user space limit
> ( for default user) on the volume ?

no, there is not.

Thanks for your help so far!

Bye, Frank