Upgrading NIC

1 view

Jason Purdy

Feb 25, 2003, 9:13:11 AM2/25/03
First, I'd like to disclaim that I am a relatively newbie to NetWare -
I adopted this system (NetWare 4.11) and it's been plugging away very
nicely and quietly for the last 3-4 years without me needing to do
much. I realized, though, in a network upgrade that it had an old
10Mbit card (3Com 900 Etherlink - 3C90X2 driver) and I could increase
that to a 100Mbit card, which would help our internal traffic speed.

So I went out to a local enthusiast shop and bought a SmartLink
10/100TX LAN Adapter (Archtek UE-1205D with Davicom chipset).
Fortunately, Archtek had a full driver package that included
instructions for Novell Netware 4.11, which I followed.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the server up & running afterwards. It
booted and went through the normal process. No error messages that I
could see. But on the switch, the link light would repeat a constant
pattern of 2 seconds off and .5 seconds on and I couldn't login from a
workstation. From the workstation, I could in Windows (XP) Explorer,
explore "NetWare servers" and it found the server, but I'm not sure if
that was cached or not.

I guess what I'm asking for help on is: How should I figure out where
the problem lies? Do you have any tips to share? Should I buy
another brand/type of 100Mbit card?

I thank you for your time & attention. :) You can contact me at the
e-mail address below (don't use the @hotmail.com address - it's my
spam-catch), or you can reply to the post - I'll be watching.

Thanks,

Jason
E-mail: Jason AT journalistic.com

Marcel Cox

Feb 26, 2003, 1:57:46 AM2/26/03
This is an obsolete newsgroup which is no longer part of the official
Novell support hierarchy. For better support, I suggest you visit
http://support.novell.com/forums and post to one of the official
Novell newsgroups.

Marcel

Jason Purdy

Feb 26, 2003, 10:51:13 AM2/26/03
cim...@digitalme.com (Marcel Cox) wrote in message news:<d84c2acf.0302...@posting.google.com>...

> This is an obsolete newsgroup which is no longer part of the official
> Novell support hierarchy. For better support, I suggest you visit
> http://support.novell.com/forums and post to one of the official
> Novell newsgroups.
>
> Marcel

Thanks, Marcel! :)