Re: No GUID for new contacts in PAB for GW8

Preston Stephenson

Feb 3, 2010, 6:27:10 AM2/3/10
I don't understand what you are asking.
System address book entries have a GUID. If
that entry is copied to a personal address
book, the GUID will be copied as well. In
8.0, personal address book entries have a
PABGuid as well.

tsage2002<tsag...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me if this is a known issue for the OAPI when creating
> a new contact? I came across a posting for GW 7 that indicates the GUID
> is created once the email address is filled in. I tested this with GW8
> and it does not seem to apply.
>
> Reviewing the SP1 fixes for GW8 indicates that the Address book fields
> were being truncated after the first character in the fixes for the SOAP
> and SDK section. Does this resolve the issue I have described here?
>
> http://www.novell.com/documentation/gw8/resources/GW801_Fixes.html
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Preston Stephenson

Feb 3, 2010, 12:52:22 PM2/3/10
The GUID is only on system address book entries.
There is no way to create a GUID on a personal
address book entry. The only way to get a GUID
on a personal address book entry is to come
from a system address book entry.

I don't understand the second question. You can
search by name. You can iterate through the
address book entries. In SOAP, there is an id
field. There is no other unique id's for the
ObjectAPI.

>>> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 at 8:56 AM,
tsage2002<tsag...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> Hi Preston,
>
> Thank you for your response. I apologize for the lack of clarity in the
> post. But it looks like you understood what I was implying. I was asking
> about the creation of GUIDs in a PAB. When creating a new contact, no
> GUID is created. But as you've indicated, when you copy an address from
> the System address book to a PAB, the GUID is included.
>
> As well, if the email address or user id is changed to one that exists
> in the system address book, then the GUID for that user is copied to the
> GUID field of the PAB entry.
>
> So my question is, does GW by default, NOT create GUID's for PAB
> entries that are not part of the system address book?
>
> Second, you mentioned the existance of a PABGuid field in GW8. I take
> it this field does not exist in the earlier versions of GW? I require a
> method to retrieve the addressbookentry for contacts that may not have
> an email address. Is there an alternative to the email address if the
> GUID does not exist? Are there any low level API's that would provide
> this information? Novell's extension of MAPI perhaps?
>
> Any direction on this would be greatly appreciated. This is a huge deal
> for a client project.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

Preston Stephenson

Feb 3, 2010, 4:00:19 PM2/3/10
The id field is not consistent.
The id field on a SAB entry is in effect the GUID.
The id field on a PAB entry is a reference to the
PAB entry in the user's database.

>>> On Wednesday, February 03, 2010 at 1:56 PM,
tsage2002<tsag...@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

> The id field you mentioned for the SOAP API. Is this field consistent
> for both the system address and a PAB? Meaning, can i count on the data
> for the field being present for both the system address book and a PAB?

Preston Stephenson

Feb 3, 2010, 5:47:14 PM2/3/10
The GUID will be empty for the newly created
personal address book item.
The personal address book item will have an id
value which doesn't represent the GUID.
Once the personal address book item is associated
with a system address book entry, the GUID value
will show a value in the personal address book
entry. (There is no correlation between the
personal address book id and the GUID).
As a side note, the GUID is represented as the
<uuid> element in SOAP.

The PABGuid field looks like garbage. It is still
valid. It has meaning as an internal string.