good chat software?

Tim Wohlford

May 11, 2004, 9:40:55 PM5/11/04
I'm a member of a service club that meets via AOL / AIM right now.

Obviously, this has its limitations. The first limitation is that each
meeting begins with our club secretary making a chat room and inviting
people to join. If someone that we don't know about wants to "visit" our
meeting then that's a problem.

Anyone know of good chat software that is easy to use, can accomodate
visitors, etc? I was looking at Novell's chat softare, but 1) I'd have to
provision visitors, and 2) I'd have to buy enough copies for everyone (kinda
pricey).

Tim Wohlford, CNE

Frank Pineau

May 11, 2004, 11:24:48 PM5/11/04
On Wed, 12 May 2004 01:40:55 GMT, "Tim Wohlford" <t...@wohlford.net> wrote:

>Anyone know of good chat software that is easy to use, can accomodate
>visitors, etc? I was looking at Novell's chat softare, but 1) I'd have to
>provision visitors, and 2) I'd have to buy enough copies for everyone (kinda
>pricey).

There's lots of free open source IRC servers and clients are ubiquitous. Check
http://www.freshmeat.net

Uwe Buckesfeld

May 12, 2004, 12:16:27 AM5/12/04
Tim,

how about forming a Yahoo group?

Anon

May 12, 2004, 9:44:50 AM5/12/04
You can alway use mIrc and create your own chat room. Register it to XNET so
you can make it private, or not, and make a few people moderators so they
can ban or kick people out if they are unwanted etc..you can even register
usernames so peoplpe have to be an xnet user, which doesnt say much, but
still...more control than AIM.

Luis

"Uwe Buckesfeld" <u.buck...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

Sewermonger Smurf or Till Sandybanks of Frogmorton

May 12, 2004, 11:08:46 PM5/12/04
I take it your ruling out the darkside messenger service?

a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
Excerpt from the notebooks of Lazarus Long,

Aki Masume

May 13, 2004, 6:47:27 PM5/13/04
Tim Wohlford wrote:

IRC is the way to go for chats. ^___^ Just register a channel on one of
the servers and just post that information on your website. mIRC for the
PC is free to try (for up to 30 days, now, I think), but you can always
skip the registeration process by closing down the window or just
download another program. ^___^

Terry Rodecker

May 15, 2004, 7:11:13 PM5/15/04
If you'd like a simple solution that someone can host (no registering new
channels, etc) then take a look at phpopenchat (http://phpopenchat.org/).
It's a PHP programmed web based chat program that's easy on the server and
the client. I've been running it for a while and it seems fairly decent and
very open. Even AOL's browser can use it (most of the time that is). ;)

--
Terry Rodecker
"Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy from Company B"

LLL

May 15, 2004, 11:54:21 PM5/15/04
Terry Rodecker wrote:

> Even AOL's browser can use it (most of the time that is). ;)

Hi, Terry. *HUGS* ;-)

--
LLL

Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear bright until they speak.

Terry Rodecker

May 16, 2004, 11:05:21 PM5/16/04
> Hi, Terry. *HUGS* ;-)

*HUGS* from LLL!?!?!?! Wow! Long time no see ma'am!

LLL

May 17, 2004, 1:49:33 PM5/17/04
Terry Rodecker wrote:

> *HUGS* from LLL!?!?!?! Wow!

Yes, I've been in hug mode lately. ;-)

> Long time no see ma'am!

Same, how's everything? ;-)

Terry Rodecker

May 19, 2004, 12:51:41 AM5/19/04
> Same, how's everything? ;-)

Well, let's see. Since I last chatted with you we've had a second baby, a
son named Benjamin. He's 15 months old now and is absolutely fearless. We
know he's fearless because of all the bumps and bruises on his head where
he's fallen down after trying to climp up on something. :)

We bought a house, 2800sf. Sort of a rustic ranch kind of setup. Lots of
room for the kiddies to play and still have some left over so Daddy doesn't
have to side step all the toys. :) It's got it's problems that we'll have
to work through. The plumbing is 25 years old and wasn't done very well
when it was put in. I've already replaced most of the pipes under the
kitchen sink, rebuilt one toilet, repaired the other, and am waiting for
some more fund to become available to rebuild the sink in the master bath.
It's leaking and whomever put it together soldered all the joints together
rather than use standard fittings.

My oldest son, Matthew, and I are doing Tae Kwon Do together. We just
tested for and got our green belts last Thursday. More importantly I've
dropped 40 pounds in the past 3 months since starting Tae Kwon Do! It's
really fun since I'm about the only adult beginner there. When we spar I
get to kick and scare the dickens out of the 6-12 year olds there without
having to worry about the cops coming after me. :) Seriously though,
when we spar I have to fight the more advanced folks (the ones getting ready
for their black belts) as it's not really a fair fight with the little
kiddies.

What about you? Any more romance from the U.K.? Alabama?

LLL

May 20, 2004, 11:47:39 AM5/20/04
Terry Rodecker wrote:

Wonderful! Sounds like everything is going great. ;-)

> What about you? Any more romance from the U.K.? Alabama?

I've never dated anyone from Alabama, thankyouverymuch. <g>

Some romancing going on, but not quite ready to share all details yet. <g>

seeyouto...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2013, 11:20:52 PM7/8/13
123 Flash Chat i believe is the best chat software for website, it not only can meet your requirements, but also has many more features, such as PPV/PPM, multi-rooms, dynamic skins, falsh games, etc.
and i personally has self-experience, it's sooo neat, i love this software.

在 2004年5月12日星期三UTC+8上午9时40分55秒,Tim Wohlford写道:

siral...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2013, 8:12:13 AM7/11/13
Hey Tim,
Why don't you try eAssistance Pro Live Chat Software as it is the single solution to all your problems:
1. easy to use
2. accommodates visitors tracking
3. subscribe once and add chat button to as many pages and websites as you want
for more info visit https://www.eassistancepro.com/
Hope this helps :)

anna.ch...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2013, 10:32:01 PM7/14/13