MySQL 8.x and Joomla 5

Dorothy Firsching

Dec 2, 2023, 11:37:06 PM12/2/23
to novaj...@googlegroups.com
The next release of CommunityBuilder will require mysql 8.x.

On HostGator, reseller accounts apparently only get mysql 5.7.x.  Well, this seems to be the rule for any sort of shared hosting!

But this means that as we move toward Joomla 5 or CB upgrades, we might have some hosting decisions or at least account reconfiguration decisions to make.  So the hosting discussions we had in November's meeting will continue!

See this discussion:
https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=1004735
and
https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=841&p=3707486

This certainly seems to be a huge issue.  Does this mean to move to MySQL 8 the path is first to move off of shared / reseller hosting? This will keep a lot of sites on Joomla 4.
Bruce, what was your database for the site you upgraded to Joomla 5?  What was your upgrade path?

Dorothy

Dorothy Firsching
Dorothy Firsching, PMP
Ursa Major Consulting, LLC
9536 Stevebrook Road
Fairfax, VA  22032
phone (703) 425-6236
fax (703) 345-9354
www.ursamajorconsulting.com
Twitter: @dbfirsching

Bruce Scherzinger

Dec 3, 2023, 1:24:41 AM12/3/23
to Dorothy Firsching

Bruce Scherzinger * bruce.sc...@gmail.com

Dorothy Firsching wrote:

--
NoVAJoomla is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Joomla! Project or Open Source Matters. The Joomla! logo is used under a limited license granted by Open Source Matters the trademark holder in the United States and other countries.
---

Dorothy Firsching

Dec 4, 2023, 4:08:12 PM12/4/23
to novaj...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I just discovered that GoDaddy has shared hosting on Mariadb 10.6.
So a surprising plus for "No Daddy".
And they were such a pain on PHP not too long ago.

So we will see how all this unrolls. Your mileage may vary by hosting provider but some shared hosting providers have Mariadb, and so for some sites the path to Joomla 5 or CommunityBuilder may be simpler than for others.
Unfortunately I may need to move some sites...

Dorothy