Recaptcha changes and failures

Dorothy Firsching

Dec 5, 2023, 9:49:02 AM12/5/23
to novaj...@googlegroups.com
There is a thread in the Joomlashack VIP Facebook group on failures of Google Recaptcha on a variety of Joomla forms tools.

Lots of discussion. Snips:

On click on the ‘I’m not a robot’ checkbox, a spinning icon shows over the checkbox which continues to spin forever and the form never submits.

We recently began seeing issues with Google ReCaptcha v3. It was failing with an "invalid catpcha" in both Community Builder and RSForms Pro. Google has definitely changed something.

Google appear to have changed something at their end and there is now a conflict between MooTools and reCaptcha which wasn't an issue previously. Switching to hCAPTCHA can work on some websites but some extensions e.g. ChronoForms v6 do not use the built in Joomla reCAPTCHA and implement their own version of Google reCAPTCHA instead. ChronoForms v6 has no support for hCAPTCHA. I have managed to solve the reCAPTCHA issue on ChronoForms v6 websites by installing jQuery Easy with Extensions -> Plugins -> System - jQuery Easy -> MooTools -> Disable When Possible = "Yes". Moving these websites to Joomla 4 will also fix the problem but this may tide you over until then.

In any case, some have solved it through updates that are out (RSForms) and others have used hCAPTCHA or other approaches.

So make sure your forms are functioning!

Dorothy

Dorothy Firsching
Dorothy Firsching, PMP
Ursa Major Consulting, LLC