Steel wire fastener?

jmac...@googlemail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 3:03:16 AM6/15/21
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi all, I'm fixing a climbing cam where the steel wire has snapped - see pic. They've used some kind of fastener (see red circle in pic) to join "threaded" flexible galvanised steel wire (approx. 1.5 mm diam.) to "solid" steel wire (again approx. 1.5 mm diam.) but I can't find these anywhere. Does anyone know what these are - do they have a name and where might I get them? Many thanks!
Cam.jpg

Stuart Common

Jun 15, 2021, 3:53:23 AM6/15/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
It's a crimp cable connector, you'll also need the correct crimping tool to set it. I haven't used one that small so don't know where to get one but if you Google that along with the cable diameter you'll be on the right track.

I'm right in thinking that part isn't load bearing and is to disengage the clamp? If it was a life critical I'd say replace the whole unit.

Stuart

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021, 08:03 'jmac...@googlemail.com' via Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, <notti...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi all, I'm fixing a climbing cam where the steel wire has snapped - see pic. They've used some kind of fastener (see red circle in pic) to join "threaded" flexible galvanised steel wire (approx. 1.5 mm diam.) to "solid" steel wire (again approx. 1.5 mm diam.) but I can't find these anywhere. Does anyone know what these are - do they have a name and where might I get them? Many thanks!

jmac...@googlemail.com

Jun 15, 2021, 5:47:32 AM6/15/21
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Thanks Stuart! Do you know if the hackspace has crimps/crimp tools? Wondering if I can make use of it once it's open.

"I'm right in thinking that part isn't load bearing and is to disengage the clamp?" - you're right.

Stuart Common

Jun 15, 2021, 10:02:46 AM6/15/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
That I'm unsure of. I imagine there is possibly for crimping electrical connectors but I don't know if these would fit

Matt Lloyd

Jun 15, 2021, 10:40:55 AM6/15/21
to NottingHack Google Groups
The space does not have suitable crimp tools for this.

Your looking for at least ones that look like bolt choppers, (with force multiplier joints) or best full hydraulic ones

Matt

James Taylor

Jun 16, 2021, 3:31:23 PM6/16/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have some heavy duty crimpers if you need them for a one off job and have found the ¿Ferrule? That you need to crimp them with.

They go up to 120mm^2 wire size and are very similar to these:

Cheers

James