General Space Query - Not Quite Like Spaceman, but Singing is Involved

Tony Cox

Jun 7, 2024, 12:50:58 PMJun 7
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
No, not like SpaceX, outer space...I mean indoor space. Sorry for the shotgun approach, but it's been ages (years!) since I was down at the space, so I'm really out of touch...trustees, jump in on this to nip it in the bud in needed. But....

I am a member of a local male voice choir (South Notts Men's Chorus). We are on the lookout for a rehearsal venue nearer the city centre than our current and previous venues (Cropwell Butler & West Bridgford). We rehearse weekly/year round, on Thursday evenings, 7:30 - 9:30 pm (although, we do skip a few weeks over Christmas and summer hols when our Music Director is away).

Loads of questions:

- Is the space suitable in the first place (physically)? We number circa 25 with weekly attendance averaging 20. We need a bit of cubic space....so really low ceilings aren't great. Ideally, somewhere semi-private and where we can make a lot of noise (eventually a very beautiful noise, but when we are first learning a piece, it can be akin to an 8 year old learning the recorder !)

- Is this sort of proposal within the letter / spirit of Hackspace "rules"

- Would we simply be too disruptive to others?

- If this is worth considering further, I'd assume that everyone would simply need to join Hackspace on individual terms, and we'd simply be a self-organising group meeting there?

I'm secretly crossing my fingers and toes on this, as it would seem a good trade-off in that our group would swap nominal weekly hire charges for individuals' own contribution and Hackspace general growth / income for what would seem a modest 'demand' on facilities.

Happy to carry on the dialogue here, but if any of the Trustees want to field this by phone, feel free to message or ring me directly on 07590 350071.

Cheers,
Tony Cox