Scad help

paul Meynell

Jan 22, 2019, 3:21:34 PM1/22/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
SCad help can anyone change an Scad design?

Bottle cap Co2 the pic on thingyverse is the first version the new version you screw in connectors

I made this and it is great, but I want to pressurise a coke bottle to 4 bar I'm finding the cap is splitting from that thread section.
Is it possible to make this part thicker?
And possibly extend the threaded part by another turn or two as the O rings I got are quite thick.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=Bottle+cap+Co2&dwh=35c4767d06b7da

paul meynell

Jan 22, 2019, 3:23:20 PM1/22/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Dan Spencer

Jan 22, 2019, 7:56:17 PM1/22/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi Paul,

Try this out. Its a quick and dirty model but it should work.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3374901

reinforced cap.PNG

paul meynell

Jan 22, 2019, 7:59:44 PM1/22/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant thanks dan
I will print off and let you know how it goes
Cheers p

paul meynell

Jan 23, 2019, 7:43:24 AM1/23/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi dan
Thanks for this , I am going to the space tonight to print this.

I see it says design tool fusion 360 ?
How did you import the original into 360 ?

Dan Spencer

Jan 23, 2019, 7:57:10 AM1/23/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
No worries.

I can put together some screenshots/ a screen capture video after work tonight but from memory heres how to do it.

If youre in the modelling environment:
Press S (Search)
Type "Insert Mesh"
Select your STL File, press ok
Select mm for the units
Model should be visible

paul meynell

Jan 23, 2019, 8:00:25 AM1/23/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Screen shots would be brilliant
I have used fusion a little but could not work out how to import , this will be extremely usefull

Many thanks
 Paul

Dan Spencer

Jan 23, 2019, 8:08:28 PM1/23/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I dont really like modifying STLs, Modifying the original cad is always better, but here's how I did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0e3pYOzPA

paul meynell

Jan 24, 2019, 4:46:04 AM1/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan, great video.

I only have one problem, when I insert mesh it brings it in as a mesh, not a solid bodie you can push/ pull

Found a YouTube video that says  you need to save mesh to brap. But this says 8000 surfaces aborted!

Your fusion seems to import as a body?

Any ideas
To post to this group, send email to notti...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Spencer

Jan 24, 2019, 4:57:44 AM1/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Mine does bring it in as a mesh.
If you split the mesh, you can drag around the split parts.

It may look like I was doing a Push/ Pull operation but it was actually a Copy. I then reunited the 3 parts of the mesh after the move along one axis. (The two original parts and the new copied part)

Ive never had much luck with converting STLs to solid bodies.

Hope this helps

Michael Erskine

Jan 24, 2019, 7:01:38 AM1/24/19
to nottinghack
Can I suggest a bought product to avoid all this trouble? Caps like
this are about a quid and quite reliable (we used them for barbot)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Aquarium-Bottle-Cap-for-DIY-Plants-Co2-Diffuser-Air-Generator-System/1063419752?iid=311016709160

Regards,
Michael.
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.

paul meynell

Jan 24, 2019, 7:15:13 AM1/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan
It's harder than it looks!

Michael I have order 5 from China to see if they will work
Looks like a bigger diameter tube but no harm in having a look. Cheers

paul meynell

Feb 16, 2019, 2:37:48 PM2/16/19
to paul meynell, notti...@googlegroups.com
Update time
The 3d printed caps leaked air out of the top layer , maybe having a 100% fill would help but I bough the caps from China.
The bottle went bang at 9 bar , although I had held it around 6.5 bar for approximately 30 before the final push.

dan3...@googlemail.com

Feb 17, 2019, 8:17:37 AM2/17/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Just out of curiosity, what's the project that needs so much pressure in a pop bottle?

paul meynell

Feb 17, 2019, 8:48:33 AM2/17/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I’m making an air gun target
Fill a 2L bottle to about 6 bar and when your shoot it it goes with a fantastic bang!
You can buy caps you pump up with a hand pump.
I wanted to automate it with four bottles on a rack with a small filling compressor.

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 13:17, dan300891 via Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack <notti...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what's the project that needs so much pressure in a pop bottle?

Matthew Gates

Feb 17, 2019, 11:19:29 AM2/17/19
to Nottinghack Mailing List
6 bar is a lot! I bet that's fun. I wonder if you could get bottle caps with bicycle valves in...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.

paul meynell

Feb 17, 2019, 3:39:58 PM2/17/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yes the bang is immense

Here is a couple of videos.

paul meynell

Feb 18, 2019, 4:22:35 PM2/18/19
to paul meynell, notti...@googlegroups.com

Turns out when it exploded at 9 bar the cap cracked
So I took the opportunity to see how it was made.
It says it’s printed in ads plastic and it appears to be printed solid.
Still surpriseingly thin for the pressure

Dan Spencer

Feb 18, 2019, 7:49:16 PM2/18/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Cool project Paul! Shame the 3D printed ones didnt work.

Those bought parts look injection moulded to me.

You can see a witness line on the top where the two die halves met and very generous draft angles on the ribs indicating a 2 part split.
I suspect the internal thread has been formed by some sort of core than unscrews once the plastic has been injected.
You can also see ejector pin witness marks on the underside. I think you will also find a sprue witness mark too if you look hard enough (Usually a small bump somewhere that is functionally unimportant).

cavity split.PNGEjection pin witness marks.PNG

paul meynell

Feb 19, 2019, 5:24:07 PM2/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I did wonder , but at £1.03 each and no time they are a bargain.
Although I did enjoy trying on thecprinter, and if I did 100% fill I’m sure it would work but would tak 4 hours to print!

paul meynell

Feb 19, 2019, 5:25:03 PM2/19/19
to paul meynell, notti...@googlegroups.com
Had this at six bar for over 24 hours !

paul meynell

Feb 22, 2019, 3:42:45 PM2/22/19
to paul meynell, notti...@googlegroups.com

So after 72 hours at 6 bar I increased to 7 bar no problem.

But when I blew up a few 2L bottles I des overhead the caps don't like it!
Not sure if it is violent movement during the explosion?
Have ordered 10 more caps from China.
Looking ar encasing in resin to increase strength.

Here is a link to me shooting one of these , filmed in slow motion.

paul meynell

Feb 22, 2019, 4:30:09 PM2/22/19
to paul meynell, notti...@googlegroups.com

Sorry posted in wrong link!