"Burnout experiences", with Mike & Jennifer, Wed 26 April 2023

Jennifer Moore

Apr 18, 2023, 4:37:36 PM4/18/23
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
hi folks

Anyone here had an experience of "burning out"?
Anyone on the way?
Anyone _nearly_ gone there and then managed not to?

We'd like to encourage conversations at the Hackspace about burnout, and
the effects it can have.

We're offering an online session where we'll share our experiences and
hear from others. It'll be a side event from Gareth's Wednesday evening
online meetup, in a breakout room.

The kind of thing we're aiming for is a friendly, non-advice-giving,
mutual-support kind of listening. Examples don’t have to be
Hackspace-related; it can be about any kind of burnout from anywhere.
If you don't feel like talking, it's also okay to come along and just
listen.

We're facilitators rather than "burnout experts", and we'll aim to keep
the discussion on track.

=

Date: Wednesday 26 April 2023, as part of Gareth's online meeting.

Time: 19.45 to 20.45.

Start time of the overall meeting run by Gareth: 19.00.

The timing means that people can arrive on the Zoom any time after 19.00
if they want, and potentially have a bit of a general natter before the
interested people nip off to our themed thing.

Jennifer and Mike (miketho...@gmail.com)

--
www.uncharted-worlds.org/blog/
www.single-bass.co.uk/what-is-single-bass

D Spence

Apr 19, 2023, 2:05:59 AM4/19/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
this is a good idea but it should be on an anonymous basis.

Jennifer Moore

Apr 19, 2023, 1:43:38 PM4/19/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
hi D

On 19/04/2023 07:05, D Spence wrote:
> this is a good idea but it should be on an anonymous basis.

Do you mean like: we should agree to keep the discussion confidential?
because yes, that's what we think too.

Or did you mean like: there should be an anonymous channel for people
to describe how they got burnt out around the Hackspace, e.g. on a
Google form or via someone interviewing them privately or something? I
wouldn't disagree that could be a good idea as well, it just isn't what
me & Mike are doing this time.

About the confidentiality agreement for our sesh: now I'm thinking we
ought to have put that in the announcement! as it might've been helpful
to people considering whether to come. We were gonna say it at the
start of the session. Sorry about that omission, anyway now you know :-)

To elaborate on that slightly... If, at our sesh, someone comes up with
something relevant to Hackspace (like "this is how things could've been
done better so I wouldn't have got so burnt out"), then we might suggest
to them that they _could_, if they wanted, raise their idea somewhere
else, like e.g. here or at a members' meeting. But we wouldn't put any
pressure on them to do that if they didn't want to, and we wouldn't
consider it our place to blab their business. It's not that kind of sesh.

Open to more feedback on this policy!

Or please correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick and neither
of those was even what you meant :-)

Jennifer

--
www.uncharted-worlds.org/blog/
www.single-bass.co.uk/what-is-single-bass
www.single-bass.co.uk/songs

Mahboob Ahmed

Apr 24, 2023, 3:34:56 PM4/24/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jennifer
I am interested to join
How do I get a zoom  link for the event ?

Mabz

Jennifer Moore

Apr 25, 2023, 10:47:43 AM4/25/23
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Just realised I'd accidentally replied off-list, and there might've been
other people interested!

Apr 26, 2023, 10:08:06 AM4/26/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike and Jennifer