Computer charity?

Sean Riley

Jun 8, 2021, 2:42:17 PM6/8/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, I have two or three tower computers that are just gathering dust and I wondered if anyone knows of a charity that could use them, if not does anyone want them for a project? I'll wipe the hard disk(s)

They have all been video editing machines at one point or another so are OK specwise but a bit dated.

One Antec home built (can't remember spec but not recent)

One Dell 3600 Precision (Xeon processor etc)

One HP Workstation Tbc (waiting for it's replacement so can confirm this one when the new machine is installed!)

Any suggestions welcomed.

Mark Thompson

Jun 8, 2021, 2:45:38 PM6/8/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

I’ve considered stating we could do with a video editing suite in Hackspace.
Does it come with video editing software too?

Mark
(Trustee)

Sent from my iPhone

Benjamin Crowe

Jun 8, 2021, 3:56:43 PM6/8/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Would be good to have video editing suite at the space. Even if they don't come with software there enough open source options out there free for commercial and non commercial use.

Andrew Armstrong

Jun 8, 2021, 5:34:33 PM6/8/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'd also echo if they're decent spec they'll at least help fix up the blue room machines at a minimum (one is okay, one needs to be replaced - running xp!).

Andrew

Sean Riley

Jun 18, 2021, 8:50:43 AM6/18/21
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Thought I'd responded to this the other day - in case I did sorry if I am duplicating, but as others have said, there are Open Source options. This machines will easily run KdenLive for instance and I'll do my best to install it on them and drop them in. One thing I won't be able to do is maintain them. The most powerful computer (HP Z820) has an occasional problem with the graphic card overheating hence replacing it, but this was when I was throwing 5.7k footage at it. For 4k and lower such as HD it will go on for years yet!

Happy for them to replace whatever needs replacing, but they aren't all as powerful as the HP box and therefore the results may vary!

Sean

Jennifer Moore

Jun 18, 2021, 9:44:06 AM6/18/21
to Nottinghack
hi all

About Kdenlive - has anyone had a good experience with actually using
it? I don't know if I'm out of date here, but I used that to edit a
thing a few years ago (maybe 2017?) and it was time-consumingly bad
enough that I ended up spending money on a semi-pro video editor next
time I needed one. (and I do like open source stuff usually.)

Weird bug that "lost" several hours of my work, loads of crashing, and
at that time iirc it also didn't support relative addressing so you
couldn't back anything up onto another disc.

Maybe it's better by now?

Jennifer

--
www.uncharted-worlds.org/blog/
www.single-bass.co.uk/what-is-single-bass

D Spence

Jun 19, 2021, 6:49:10 AM6/19/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
i havent tried this program but I have tried others. like nost things software its going to be a personal choice thing. ther are quite a few free opensource video editors. I say install as many as we can and let members choose what they want to use.  i use shotcut myself.

and a greenscreen and a podcast booth

bookable/rentable decent dslr lights and mic    a thing to discuss

Sean Riley

Jun 19, 2021, 7:43:42 AM6/19/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I haven't used it for a few years but it's definitely a variable experience. I edited with kdenlive last in 2019, in fact I edited this video about the rpi4 on kdenlive on an rpi: https://youtu.be/e-lZa4qgxmM

Here's the "making of" https://youtu.be/RKT0N4IJP-4

But it worked ok. Hopefully it's even better with more powerful hardware, I know Rob Miles uses it for all his videos, though he's on Linux.

The first time I edited on Linux was a disaster for me :) ( https://youtu.be/MS7hXuO2UKE ) don't bother watching that unless you're very bored!

Sean

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/27d29e46-91b5-af87-709d-9d50601d8665%40uncharted-worlds.org.

Matthew Gates

Jun 19, 2021, 8:01:18 AM6/19/21
to Nottinghack
I've used kdenlive for a couple a videos (I'm very much a tinkerer and don't know what other software is like). Worked ok for what I did with it, although that was only a couple of short simple things.

Mouse

Sean Riley

Jun 19, 2021, 8:24:24 AM6/19/21
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Maybe I'll drop the machines off and some open source distro can be loaded on then, confess to being a complete newb with gnu/Linux so might be best of someone who knows what they're doing does that! Particularly for the HP box!

Might be worth adding OBS too if there are going to be studio 'facilities' !

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CAByPWHOMFWKEgC-7ZyfqhpQyKLMRGLASVhbnQ3QBQdkmtW_jZw%40mail.gmail.com.