Anyone got an iBall / spacewriter LED sphere with software?

Chunky

Jan 24, 2013, 11:04:56 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'm just seeing if anyone has got the software CD for one of these LED message spheres?

http://www.spectra-displays.co.uk/27.php
http://www.ishow360.com/home/index.php

I've managed to get hold of a working 2nd hand one, but I cannot get any images uploaded to it.
It connects via RS232.
It uses something called Spacial Display Editor software, but this appears to be impossible to find via the magic of the interweb.
If anyone has got this then that would be really great.

Otherwise - anyone up for some reverse engineering?

Matt

Kai Pays

Jan 24, 2013, 11:48:30 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
if thats it, heres a pdf:

On 24 January 2013 16:47, Kai Pays <rave...@gmail.com> wrote:
this isnt it is it?

On 24 January 2013 16:04, Chunky <chunky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spacial Display Editor

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

Chunky

Jan 24, 2013, 1:21:39 PM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thats the fellow, but when I click on download, it takes me to the spacewriter site, where there is no software download.
Unless I'm being silly and clicking on the wrong thing?
I had found that manual, but thanks anyway. Theres not enough detail to start talking to the device.
I've emailled the company but not holding out much luch for free software (irony being that I used to sell the original spacewriter product around 15 years ago and met the designer. He was a shed-based tinkerer who was building them up all himself - I think I still have one).
I'll keep people informed - its got lots of hacking potential, but it would also be good as a display we can upload animation to.
Cheers,

Matt

Julian He

Aug 23, 2013, 7:17:34 AM8/23/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Did you found the software? I need it too!

Angela DiCarlo

Oct 15, 2013, 2:26:43 AM10/15/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
For Samsung LED iBall and iBall 500:

Here's an instruction video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5byadDsPCo

Here's software:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12379242/setup300.zip

steve miller

Dec 6, 2013, 11:09:53 AM12/6/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
hi angela, thank you the software download worked for me , but it now requires a 16 digit code that would of been on the cover of the cd , which as you probably know is going to be a problem for everyone else requiring the software.... I did email the company but believe they no longer exist or are obsolete. any suggestions would be apprieciated.
regards
steve miller

Jim Lad

Dec 17, 2013, 4:29:28 PM12/17/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angela,

Thanks for the software, been trying to find it for a while now but is it possible to get the serial key too please?

Jon Bruno

Dec 18, 2013, 9:43:42 AM12/18/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I think I'm the only one that ever actually bought one new.

Here is the product key you all will need to make it work.

1026 CCE9 FBFD FBD8

Enjoy!

Jon Bruno

Jan 14, 2014, 3:22:52 PM1/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
This got buried.. is this info still needed?

Sarasota Lanes

Mar 14, 2014, 7:31:14 PM3/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jon,

Is the Device SN directly related to the SDE software license?   I used the SN you provided, but the software refuses to take the SN from the iball.

Carl Anderson

Mar 20, 2014, 8:25:59 AM3/20/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yu need the ID number of the ball, you can find this, from where you bought it from, ownership on these things can be traced back to when it was initially bought, each is unique, so if they are stolen, they are useless

Chunky

Mar 20, 2014, 8:33:58 AM3/20/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - I see that as the case.
But mine was second hand from a bar that shut down. But its still useless.....
I'm going to try and access the LEDs directly and build my own controller. Some day...

Matt

Simon

Jun 27, 2014, 5:35:27 AM6/27/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
There should be a small code written on the small chip inside of the ball. Give that to me and I may be able to get you code that will enable it to work with SDE.

Cheers.

Chunky

Jun 30, 2014, 5:31:59 AM6/30/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,
Thanks for letting me know - I have now sent the iBall to someone who can make use of it.

Regards,

Matt

philip....@live.co.uk

Jun 30, 2014, 4:31:02 PM6/30/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
hi simon
i have the same problem dont have the id number for the ball.
there is 2 serial numbers on the ball but neither of them work.
what code is needed by you to try source the code for me.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Simon

Aug 7, 2014, 8:54:56 AM8/7/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Its a 4 digit code handwritten on a chip inside the iBall...

Kunihiro Matsuura

Aug 17, 2014, 8:03:23 AM8/17/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
I have the same problem too.
DSN of two iball which they obtained is unclear, and SDE and a handshake are not possible.
It is handwritten for an internal micro tip, and 4387 another one is 3859.
Please tell me the DSN cord which is usable in SDE
Thankyou

Jimbo Drury

Sep 14, 2014, 6:57:34 AM9/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Hi I also have the same problem. I bought one second hand and it did not come with the device serial number. The number on our chip is 1570. Would you be able to source the number for us at all? Also do you know where we can get a battery replacement as our other iball we bought from new no longer holds a charge?

Tesla Rawks

Sep 18, 2014, 11:15:56 PM9/18/14

I have the numbers 7462 on my chip.. a guy I work for runs a P.O.S. (Point Of Sales) store and gave me the ball and I get stuck when it comes to the Production Serial Number
D3C33011TO-00361which is mine. He told me he hasn't even messed with this ball in like 15 years.

bret...@googlemail.com

Sep 29, 2014, 2:03:13 PM9/29/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I've acquired one of these balls recently, and I too am stumped by the lack of a serial number.
Optimistically I put a serial port sniffer onto it, and I can see plenty of traffic going from the Spacial software to the ball.
But the ball never replies with so much as a peek, I was hoping it might give out it's serial number.

So unless one of us here has any brilliant ideas, we've all just got large paperweights...

bret...@googlemail.com

Sep 29, 2014, 2:24:47 PM9/29/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
...to add, the number on my chip is 1542, and it's manufacture number is B5A 33000TO-00387.
It has a sticker on from a company called mydaton, mcnpos.co.uk, but that seems to be a dead end.

BarakaTec

Dec 1, 2014, 8:20:55 PM12/1/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Do you really help all the people here?

Has anyone got an DSN for the iball from You , Simon?

Simon

Jan 30, 2015, 6:49:55 AM1/30/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

About 5 years ago I was able to contact the designer of the iBall through Spacewriter (which no longer exists in the UK - the company has been dissolved).

The device serial is what you need, so I would say try testing all the device serials as listed in the attachment by Tesla Rawks. The device serial number is relevant to the 4 digit code printed on the chip inside the iBall but I don't know exactly how it relates.

Once you have done this and assigned your iBall a device serial number, use the software to 'assign channels' in the upload section - ensuring it is plugged in to your PC.

Once you have done this your iBall should reset and perform the start up routine. Without 'assigning channels' first, you cannot upload to the iBall...

Please let me know if this works for you. Would be interested to know!

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Tesla Rawks

Mar 13, 2015, 6:51:10 PM3/13/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The only thing I haven't tried is using win98 which is the operating system this was built to run on.The rest of the info I found was in the help section..which was using those serial codes..   I gave up and just kept the setup.exe on disk because I couldn't find it again after downloading it from a site called informer.comI
If I ever wanted to load windows98 again and find the hardware to load the ball with which is a lot more expenses that I wanted to spend on a forgotten hardware I may mess with the Iball again. Good Luck.. Mine just sets behind my monitor like a magic 8 ball. I made some posts below of the help pages and the serial numbers.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Jason Atwood <jatw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Simon,

I came across an iBall at work. It was sitting in a cabinet collecting dust. The gentleman that knew about it is no longer with the company. I have been able to get the software and the software code. But I am stuck on the device number and the comm cable. Does this use a standard serial or a null modem cable. Also, what are the serial parameters (baud, etc)

the 4 digit code on my chip is 5647. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. If so I may have the perfect application for it at the office.

Thanks,
Jason

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 1:10:58 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've also acquired one of these, specifically an iBall+. I've managed to get the SDE software installed and working (thanks for that and the serial number, that's great) but I'm falling at the next hurdle - adding the device to the device list. I can enter the serials Tesla Rawks posted in an image OK but if I try to enter the serial (see attached image) from the bottom of my iBall I just get an 'incorrect serial' message and it won't add the device :( Any assistance gratefully received!

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 1:40:03 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Oh and the number on the chip is '5590'. I can't seem to get any combination of these to load, editing the text file with the serials in gives errors like 'not 16 chars long' or just 'is an invalid serial' when loading it back in. Interestingly I have found that the program ignores the 'TO-' 4 char section if you enter this in the text file and load this.

Tesla Rawks

Mar 15, 2015, 2:03:51 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
IMO the serial number is needed when you have several iballs and you want to be able to tell which one to roll the program on.. I too tried the serial numbers all over the iball and none of them would add into the software.
I can start it up and the software takes the serial numbers from the help file.The only hardware I couldn't build or find under $100 was the Cluster UploaderI tried to patch one together using a modem and some software like a  usb serial adapter that I found searching the internet.  all I got was error codes..   ( I found a few other software companies placed serail and password and user names in their help section. I guess life is easier when you read the instructions) There was a youtube page where it looked like samsung had someone helping a man with the chip code it was dated almost 3 years ago and I wrote that youtube page and never heard back from them

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 2:43:20 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks but I think the device serial is going to be needed - I have a number of serial connected devices that I play around with on my Raspberry Pi and many of them work on the same basis - they all listen to all the code being sent on the serial port and then only respond when they 'hear' the right device ID. I the iBall is behaving in the same way - it is listening on the serial port but it is just ignoring the instruction because it doesn't see the instruction as being for it.

Interestingly on the FAQ of the Taiwanese SpaceWriter website it states:

Do we need a "Device Serial Number"?
No. You wont' need DSN typed in SDE if your hardware device version is 4.0 or above. You can find out what verion it is in the splash screen right after power on.

My iBall says it is at hardware version 2 as it starts up, sadly seems unlikely we'll be able to get firmware updates for it...!

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 2:45:47 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The device serial numbers on the help image you attached all seem to be quite similar with a limited character set - I wonder how long it would take to run through every possible iteration of those.... we might be done before the sun goes nova...!

Jon Bruno

Apr 17, 2015, 11:40:39 AM4/17/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys.. I guess I took for granted that the DSN was attached to your devices.
I have the  "Don't lose this number!" sticker is affixed to the bottom of my unit in the serial port area.

Kai Pays

Jan 24, 2013, 11:47:34 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
this isnt it is it?

On 24 January 2013 16:04, Chunky <chunky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spacial Display Editor

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

Chunky

Jan 15, 2014, 5:58:23 AM1/15/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,
Thanks very much for the product key.
The last I has was a copy of the software with a software key.
The main issue is that the iBall that I have does not have its device ID number on it (its stamped on the later versions, but on mine it came on a piece of paper which is lost in the midst of time).

I have not got around to testing if that product key works - was this to make the software work (which I now have) or to make the device work (which I dont have and I thought was a unique ID). I had thoughts about doing a brute force ID guess, but then calculated it would take more seconds than there probably are left before the sun burns out.

I'll try and rig it up tonight to check.
Otherwise I think its a big ole paperweight.

Cheers,

Matt

Tesla Rawks

Oct 1, 2014, 1:41:18 PM10/1/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
OK here is what I have got so far.. I went to the Spacial Display Editor put in the software serial and then I went to the Help search section and I took the device serial off that page and it worked on my iball which was nice to get further down the road on this.. and then I had found a YouTube video from the makers of this Iball and it showed how to set it up to run.. I still have the "No Sequences Enabled Upload Needed!" sign on the ball and I have been playing with the Micro SD Flash because if I read it right the M.SD.Flash will let me upload a file and save me from letting the iball run for 72 hours to charge the battery again... I have been trying all different patterns to get it to load and I have been getting some checksum errors which is a good sign that my pc is actually trying to communicate with the iball.
I even went into my device manager and set the COM1 up with the same numbers as the IBALL has in its help pages. The youtube video I found helpful was from Samsung and it shows how to load it up and the person running the sight seemed helpful to one of us so I wrote him to see if he could help me with my iball serial number but afterward I seen that the help sections picture's serial worked fine. http://youtu.be/F5byadDsPCo

Good Luck .
Device Serials.PNG
Micro SD Flash.PNG

Jason Atwood

Jsson83

Jul 1, 2015, 6:16:56 PM7/1/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello

When you have installed the SDE and starting it for the first time, you have to enter the "Custom serial number", and that´s the same for all units.
1026 CCE9 FBFD FBD8 ,the same as stated earlier.

But then you are entering the wrong number inside the SDE.

The "Production serial number" is not the one that should be used.

The right number looks like the ones Tesla published. 4 groups of number and digits.

The device serial number relates to the 4 digits visible on top of the IC1 inside the dome. Don´t know how they are related though.

When I bought one, i e-mailed Spacewriter UK with the 4 digit code, they charged me some money and sent my 16 digit code back. They don´t exist anymore.

Have you tried to e-mail the manufacture to get the code?

Regards Jsson83

Simon

Aug 14, 2015, 11:03:09 AM8/14/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello All

I have obtained the list of every DSN you could ever possibly require from the maker of the iBALL! Please see the attachment...have fun with your iBALLs people. :)

PS you need to enter this in the software and probably need windows XP for the software to function correctly...

Simon
DeviceSerialNumbers1to32000.txt

Simon

Aug 14, 2015, 11:03:10 AM8/14/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, chunky...@gmail.com
Hello All,

I have obtained a list of all the possible DSNs from the maker of the iBALL! Have fun with your iBALLs people!

PS you need windows XP for the software to work correctly and need to enter the DSN in the software

Simon
DeviceSerialNumbers1to32000.txt

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:28 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Your DSN is as follows:

4387 = 2019 C0C2 C6DD CEEC

3859 = 211B C2C5 C4DD CCE0

Thanks and enjoy!

Simon

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:28 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, jatw...@gmail.com
Code for 5647 is

231D C1C1 CFD6 C2EC

Thanks

Simon

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:28 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Your DSN is

1570 = 231A C0C0 C7D1 CCE1

Thanks and enjoy!

Simon

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:28 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Your DSN is

7462 = 2419 C1C0 CFDA C0E5

Thanks and enjoy!

Simon

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:29 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello,

Your DSN is: 251C C4C4 C5D6 C4E9

Thanks and enjoy!

Simon

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:29 PM8/15/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Your DSN for 5590 is:
2218 C5C7 C9D0 C6ED

Thanks and Enjoy!

Simon

Jsson83

Aug 16, 2015, 6:20:47 AM8/16/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Thank you wery much Simon!

I can confirm that the Iball i have in front of me gives the correct DSN from the number on the ship, from your list.

The software works fine on Windows 7 on my laptop and a USB -> RS-232 converter.

Thank you.

Tesla Rawks

Sep 17, 2015, 6:14:06 PM9/17/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Well you got my hopes up at least to attempt to get it up and running.. That number you posted for me wouldn't work for me.. but I am using Windows10 I have tried 200 of the numbers on the list that is posted I will just keep trucking on through the fog for now.. Thank you for the list. If its a april fools joke not funny but it keeps my interest going that is for sure.

(Your DSN is 7462 = 2419 C1C0 CFDA C0E5 Thanks and enjoy! Simon On Friday, 19 )

Tesla Rawks

Sep 20, 2015, 3:18:29 AM9/20/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Finally got it working it only took since last August for it to shut down start up and have bart simpson mooning me..
I found a thumb drive with the correct serial number... Now to figure it all out. Thank for all the help.

Tesla Rawks

Sep 20, 2015, 9:54:18 AM9/20/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Jim Lad

Jan 24, 2016, 4:07:05 PM1/24/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Old thread this I know but I just thought I'd pop back up to say I dug my iBall out of storage today and fired it up again: it works perfectly using the DSN supplied by Simon. Using a USB to serial lead and had no problems with this or the 'Spacial Display Editor' running on Windows 10.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the codes and settings for this, Simon especially.

Ray NZ

Mar 16, 2016, 7:43:38 AM3/16/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi Simon. My chip # is 3434.  Thanks for your help getting this iBall operational again - looking forward to the DSN. Regards, Ray

Benjamin Crowe

Mar 16, 2016, 8:38:07 AM3/16/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

Please could someone explain to me what an iBall is?? I tried to Google it though I either come up with results about eyeballs or a company selling routers.

Ben

Teslarawks!

Mar 16, 2016, 9:09:16 AM3/16/16
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Simon

Jun 27, 2016, 9:22:30 AM6/27/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello,

Your code is: 221C C0C6 C6DF C0EB

Thanks

Simon

Simon

Jun 27, 2016, 9:22:30 AM6/27/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Glad you got it working! :)

kabelo bolaane

Sep 21, 2016, 3:32:06 AM9/21/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Help me mine is 20840

mnotgninnep

Nov 3, 2016, 11:32:44 AM11/3/16
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
20840 = 211E C8C5 C6DF C3E3

Hope this helps. Sorry you've had to wait so long, I only just found this thread.

Robbo

Feb 3, 2017, 10:12:07 AM2/3/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Simon are you still here? i could really do with some help please

mnotgninnep

Feb 3, 2017, 3:19:10 PM2/3/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Plenty of us happy to help but we need a bit more info on your problem than that...

Gary Mumford

Feb 7, 2017, 11:07:42 AM2/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi All, i have just found one of these , we used to have it in our shop window back in the early 2000's i have the disc and serial/code numbers that go with it but can't find the power cable or usb or whatever the cable is that connect to pc, am going to put on Ebay , not sure what they are worth , thought i would see if anyone here wanted it

Gary Mumford

Feb 7, 2017, 11:07:42 AM2/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi , i have one of these , am going to put on ebay but thought i would see if anyone here needed one , i have the disc and code/serial numbers but no power cable or cable to connect to pc

Gary Mumford

Feb 7, 2017, 11:07:42 AM2/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, chunky...@gmail.com

mnotgninnep

Feb 7, 2017, 12:55:01 PM2/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I have 2 iballs already and would be in serious trouble with the wife if I got another. If you're interested in selling it complete or getting it going, the serial cable is a standard straight through serial cable, and the PSU is 24V, 2.1A, with a centre positive jack measuring 5.5mm outside diameter and 2.5mm inside.

Gary Mumford

Feb 8, 2017, 6:48:52 AM2/8/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
cheers thanks for the info , thats handy,

nathan cooke

Feb 19, 2017, 8:13:29 AM2/19/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
hi was wondering if you are still able to provide code for i ball my chip inside has 2999 any help would be appricated if it costs me to get this running tahts not an issue

many thanks
nathan

nathan cooke

Feb 19, 2017, 8:31:18 AM2/19/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
does anyone know what the code is i enter in to sde my chip inside the ball has 2999 on it any help would be great

nathan

mnotgninnep

Feb 19, 2017, 12:18:26 PM2/19/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Should be 241A C0C5 C2DC C6E0 for 2999

Hope that helps and works.

nathan cooke

Feb 20, 2017, 7:17:41 AM2/20/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Tried that code and still won't talk to the ball is there something special I have to do I've added it to devices
And made sure it's on correct port and speed at 38400

nathan cooke

Feb 20, 2017, 1:42:31 PM2/20/17
On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 12:17:41 PM UTC, nathan cooke wrote:
> Tried that code and still won't talk to the ball is there something special I have to do I've added it to devices
> And made sure it's on correct port and speed at 38400

Can you get me code for chip 1999 I think I may have read it wrong
The handwriting looks poor

nathan cooke

Feb 20, 2017, 2:13:50 PM2/20/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

Was wondering if you are considering selling 1 of your I balls I can't get mine to work

Nathan

nathan cooke

Feb 20, 2017, 3:22:45 PM2/20/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 4:07:42 PM UTC, Gary Mumford wrote:

I'm interested if your selling as I can't get mine working

mnotgninnep

Feb 20, 2017, 3:46:32 PM2/20/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
The handwriting is small and difficult to read through the perspex. Try removing the rubber stopper in the top. Look through the hole at the chip and shine a good light through the side. That should make it much easier to read.

I don't want to sell mine sorry. If yours spins up, goes through the startup routine and displays the green text, then I doubt there is anything wrong with yours. It's just figuring out how to initialise it and get the computer talking to it correctly.

Have you got a copy of the manual? I'd suggest you read it if you do.

Rave (Kai) posted the link above.

In the mean time, 1999 is 241E C1C3 C7D6 CEE2

Could you be reading it upside down? Could it be 6661? Read it through the hole and let me know.

nathan cooke

Feb 21, 2017, 3:47:34 AM2/21/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Attached is a picture of the chip attached to the main board
That spins round hope I have the right chip see what you think

IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG

mnotgninnep

Feb 21, 2017, 4:34:40 AM2/21/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
That's the one. Definitely 2999. Grab the manual linked above and read it through before you try again if you haven't already. I found that the software isn't that well designed and not something you can just figure out on the fly. I couldn't get my iballs talking to it until I'd read it and knew the sequence of buttons to press. That will be your best bet. Leave the serial port settings default in the software. Also make sure you're using a hardware serial port, not a USB adapter. My iballs will work with them but they're flaky and keep corrupting the data transfer.

Once you've done that, tell us how far you're getting. We need more info to be able to help. Is it powering on? Spinning? Going through the startup routing with horisontal lines? Green text?

nathan cooke

Feb 21, 2017, 4:53:41 AM2/21/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Mine powers up with red line then displays
Firmware version then no banks enabled upload required
I'm using a hard serial port had to find a old laptop to do it
I've keyed the s/n into devices and tried to assign channels
From That screen and ball does not even attempt
I made the rs232 cable as it's only 2 wire in the ball
Pin 5 ground pin3 rx

mnotgninnep

Feb 21, 2017, 5:15:22 AM2/21/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Perfect so nothing wrong with the iball itself so far.

Sounds like you have the perfect laptop for it. I use an old DELL for the same reason. It's likely COM1 then so double check you're using that.

Humour me here. Can you confirm you have followed the steps detailed on page 8 of the manual here?: http://www.zaj.hu/pdf/sde_help.pdf

If you have, then I suspect your cable. I think it's a straight through serial male/female extension cable. I can't be sure until I can check one of mine tonight, if I get time. If it is, you may be better off picking up a cheap one on ebay or Amazon for £2-£3. Like I said, I'm working from memory here so need to double check.

Maury More

Mar 16, 2017, 5:08:30 PM3/16/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
links down,   Can you please send me new links ...  please

Andrew Murphy

Jun 7, 2017, 10:20:32 AM6/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hey Jim,

I have have everything set up but struggling 'uploading' using a USB to serial adapter (tripplite) what settings are you using?

Thanks

Andrew Murphy

Jun 7, 2017, 8:04:13 PM6/7/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Fixed, dodgy cable was the issue

Tim Wilson

Aug 9, 2017, 4:53:07 AM8/9/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Have you still got the special display editor software for iBall as I have just come across one.

mnotgninnep

Aug 9, 2017, 6:47:07 AM8/9/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I was going to point you to the dropbox link above until I realised it's recently dead. If you PM me I'll see if I can look it out later.

Going to see if I can upload it somewhere online soon because it needs to be kept available as much as possible.

Tim Wilson

Aug 9, 2017, 7:48:59 AM8/9/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
That would be great. thanks

ekips...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2017, 11:35:39 AM8/9/17
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If it's the spacial display editor you're after then laserguy has a download available on the website.

Regards,
            Chaz.

On 9 Aug 2017, at 9:51 am, Tim Wilson <tim427...@gmail.com> wrote:

Have you still got the special display editor software for iBall as I have just come across one.

mnotgninnep

Aug 9, 2017, 1:45:06 PM8/9/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I have looked now I'm home and confirm I have version 3.0.0. I also have the manual pdf for the software so just need somewhere to upload them.

Martin Mallea

Aug 22, 2017, 6:13:35 PM8/22/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, ekips...@gmail.com

I have problems using the software. It seems that my iball + does not recognize anything.

The following message appears on the screen:

SERIAL ERRORS.
FRAME / /
PACKET LOST

Any idea why this happens?

mnotgninnep

Aug 23, 2017, 7:23:17 AM8/23/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, ekips...@gmail.com
Are you using a USB>Serial adapter? I had similar problems with one. The solution was to use a computer with a hardware serial port on the motherboard.

skaterhamskatepark

Dec 13, 2017, 10:29:07 AM12/13/17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi
Ive got two i-ball units in good condition, both power up and display start up LED patterns..... I have also got an old computer with the original editing program on, message if interested in buying the lot :-)

m0...@m0scg.org.uk

May 30, 2018, 4:31:08 AM5/30/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi, did anyone manage to get SDE 3.0.0 and the manual uploaded anywhere? I have done a Google search and not found it, thanks

m0...@m0scg.org.uk

May 30, 2018, 4:31:08 AM5/30/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hi, did you manage to get SDE 3.0.0 and the manual uploaded anywhere? I have done a Google search and not found it, thanks

Jon Bruno

May 31, 2018, 10:10:58 PM5/31/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

mnotgninnep

Jun 1, 2018, 1:25:48 AM6/1/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Sorry, small children caused me to totally forget. Here's a link to setup300.zip and sde_help.pdf.

m0...@m0scg.org.uk

Jun 1, 2018, 3:36:35 AM6/1/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Thanks very much to both of you.

Kathleen Scott

Jun 13, 2018, 1:21:09 PM6/13/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello all. I stumbled across this group because you are one of the few remaining websites referencing the I ball. My husband acquired this ball directly from the company on eBay (new I believe), but they refused to give him the software for it (long story short, they accidentally left a 0 off their buy it now price and they retaliated by pitching a fit and withholding the software And customer support from him since they were trying to recoup their loss by selling him the software/support). I remember one time seeing a bart on the ball, but he never touched it after that. Rather than tossing it, I’d figured i’d See if anyone wanted it. I plugged it in and it spins up, but no lights display(I’m not sure if that means it’s broken, or just not programmed). There are a few scuff on the ball, but it’s in excellent condition. If someone wants to pay shipping, I’m more than happy to send it your way. I live in the US and my postal zip code is 10923 if you would like to calculate shipping estimates for yourself.

Kathleen Scott

Jun 13, 2018, 1:21:18 PM6/13/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
CDE783FB-E137-4924-9A84-F950F998B231.jpeg

tomjd...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2018, 9:59:39 AM6/25/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Was wondering if you had much luck uploading your sequences and displaying them on the iball , everything seems to be working fine for me i.e serial numbers and my USB to serial lead, however when I 'upload' my sequences I am still stuck with the boring default display on the Iball.

Dino Manzella

Aug 22, 2018, 6:12:01 AM8/22/18
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Does anyone have the version 2.9 of the software or later?

There is a website that eludes to it, but it does not have a valid download link: http://spacial-display-editor.software.informer.com/2.9/

Kevin Richardson

Feb 8, 2020, 7:58:28 AM2/8/20
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Good morning all. we have just been given one of these Iball opti space display things and would like to use it for some STEM activities for young people. Of course, we have no software or serial numbers  (except the serial no on the unit it self. We have downloaded version 3 software from this thread but, it is asking for a n id number to get it working.. At the moment, we have a serial to usb connector so, not sure if that will work until we get the software running. I note that the handwritten number on the chip may be important? ours is 3048. the product serial number is BMA33110O-00127. That is all the info that i currently have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Kev

mnotgninnep

Feb 8, 2020, 5:23:35 PM2/8/20
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
3048? Try 2618 C6C1 C4DD C1E3 .

Double check that number you gave. I misread one of mine and took me ages needlessly troubleshooting.

I’ve got two and had mixed results with usb to serial cables. My best device is an old dell D600 series laptop with a real serial port running Windows XP.

Let me know if you get it up and running ok.

Kevin Richardson

Feb 8, 2020, 5:38:50 PM2/8/20
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for getting back to me. We are getting there slowly but surely. We have the software running and the correct id but cant get the serial to usb cable to communicate so, whenever we try to upload, all we can do is create a media mogul file. We have ordered a straight through serial cable but think it will need to be rewired as a cross over but, not sure as i havent been able to find a wiring diagram fir the cable.

Tj

Feb 12, 2020, 2:08:23 AM2/12/20
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On 08/02/2020 22:38, 'Kevin Richardson' via Nottingham Hackspace -
Nottinghack wrote:
> Thanks for getting back to me. We are getting there slowly but surely.
> We have the software running and the correct id but cant get the serial
> to usb cable to communicate so, whenever we try to upload, all we can do
> is create a media mogul file. We have ordered a straight through serial
> cable but think it will need to be rewired as a cross over but, not sure
> as i havent been able to find a wiring diagram fir the cable.

I'm interested in working on this - both from the standpoint of solving
the hardware interface/serial comms issue but also in
reverse-engineering the protocol to allow open-source software to
control the display. I have considerable expertise in both.

Matt Lloyd

Feb 12, 2020, 4:02:02 AM2/12/20
to NottingHack Google Groups
Since this thread keeps coming up I’ve knocked up a quick page so people can look up there own Device Serial Number (DSN)

It is loading more messages.