Anyone got an iBall / spacewriter LED sphere with software?

Chunky

Jan 24, 2013, 11:04:56 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'm just seeing if anyone has got the software CD for one of these LED message spheres?

http://www.spectra-displays.co.uk/27.php
http://www.ishow360.com/home/index.php

I've managed to get hold of a working 2nd hand one, but I cannot get any images uploaded to it.
It connects via RS232.
It uses something called Spacial Display Editor software, but this appears to be impossible to find via the magic of the interweb.
If anyone has got this then that would be really great.

Otherwise - anyone up for some reverse engineering?

Matt

Kai Pays

Jan 24, 2013, 11:48:30 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
if thats it, heres a pdf:

On 24 January 2013 16:47, Kai Pays <rave...@gmail.com> wrote:
this isnt it is it?

On 24 January 2013 16:04, Chunky <chunky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spacial Display Editor

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

Chunky

Jan 24, 2013, 1:21:39 PM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thats the fellow, but when I click on download, it takes me to the spacewriter site, where there is no software download.
Unless I'm being silly and clicking on the wrong thing?
I had found that manual, but thanks anyway. Theres not enough detail to start talking to the device.
I've emailled the company but not holding out much luch for free software (irony being that I used to sell the original spacewriter product around 15 years ago and met the designer. He was a shed-based tinkerer who was building them up all himself - I think I still have one).
I'll keep people informed - its got lots of hacking potential, but it would also be good as a display we can upload animation to.
Cheers,

Matt

Julian He

Aug 23, 2013, 7:17:34 AM8/23/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hey Did you found the software? I need it too!

Angela DiCarlo

Oct 15, 2013, 2:26:43 AM10/15/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
For Samsung LED iBall and iBall 500:

Here's an instruction video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5byadDsPCo

Here's software:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12379242/setup300.zip

steve miller

Dec 6, 2013, 11:09:53 AM12/6/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
hi angela, thank you the software download worked for me , but it now requires a 16 digit code that would of been on the cover of the cd , which as you probably know is going to be a problem for everyone else requiring the software.... I did email the company but believe they no longer exist or are obsolete. any suggestions would be apprieciated.
regards
steve miller

Jim Lad

Dec 17, 2013, 4:29:28 PM12/17/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Angela,

Thanks for the software, been trying to find it for a while now but is it possible to get the serial key too please?

Jon Bruno

Dec 18, 2013, 9:43:42 AM12/18/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I think I'm the only one that ever actually bought one new.

Here is the product key you all will need to make it work.

1026 CCE9 FBFD FBD8

Enjoy!

Jon Bruno

Jan 14, 2014, 3:22:52 PM1/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
This got buried.. is this info still needed?

Sarasota Lanes

Mar 14, 2014, 7:31:14 PM3/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jon,

Is the Device SN directly related to the SDE software license?   I used the SN you provided, but the software refuses to take the SN from the iball.

Carl Anderson

Mar 20, 2014, 8:25:59 AM3/20/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yu need the ID number of the ball, you can find this, from where you bought it from, ownership on these things can be traced back to when it was initially bought, each is unique, so if they are stolen, they are useless

Chunky

Mar 20, 2014, 8:33:58 AM3/20/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - I see that as the case.
But mine was second hand from a bar that shut down. But its still useless.....
I'm going to try and access the LEDs directly and build my own controller. Some day...

Matt

Simon

Jun 27, 2014, 5:35:27 AM6/27/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
There should be a small code written on the small chip inside of the ball. Give that to me and I may be able to get you code that will enable it to work with SDE.

Cheers.

Chunky

Jun 30, 2014, 5:31:59 AM6/30/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon,
Thanks for letting me know - I have now sent the iBall to someone who can make use of it.

Regards,

Matt

philip....@live.co.uk

Jun 30, 2014, 4:31:02 PM6/30/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
hi simon
i have the same problem dont have the id number for the ball.
there is 2 serial numbers on the ball but neither of them work.
what code is needed by you to try source the code for me.
any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Simon

Aug 7, 2014, 8:54:56 AM8/7/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Its a 4 digit code handwritten on a chip inside the iBall...

Kunihiro Matsuura

Aug 17, 2014, 8:03:23 AM8/17/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Simon
I have the same problem too.
DSN of two iball which they obtained is unclear, and SDE and a handshake are not possible.
It is handwritten for an internal micro tip, and 4387 another one is 3859.
Please tell me the DSN cord which is usable in SDE
Thankyou

Jimbo Drury

Sep 14, 2014, 6:57:34 AM9/14/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Hi I also have the same problem. I bought one second hand and it did not come with the device serial number. The number on our chip is 1570. Would you be able to source the number for us at all? Also do you know where we can get a battery replacement as our other iball we bought from new no longer holds a charge?

Tesla Rawks

Sep 18, 2014, 11:15:56 PM9/18/14

I have the numbers 7462 on my chip.. a guy I work for runs a P.O.S. (Point Of Sales) store and gave me the ball and I get stuck when it comes to the Production Serial Number
D3C33011TO-00361which is mine. He told me he hasn't even messed with this ball in like 15 years.

bret...@googlemail.com

Sep 29, 2014, 2:03:13 PM9/29/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I've acquired one of these balls recently, and I too am stumped by the lack of a serial number.
Optimistically I put a serial port sniffer onto it, and I can see plenty of traffic going from the Spacial software to the ball.
But the ball never replies with so much as a peek, I was hoping it might give out it's serial number.

So unless one of us here has any brilliant ideas, we've all just got large paperweights...

bret...@googlemail.com

Sep 29, 2014, 2:24:47 PM9/29/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
...to add, the number on my chip is 1542, and it's manufacture number is B5A 33000TO-00387.
It has a sticker on from a company called mydaton, mcnpos.co.uk, but that seems to be a dead end.

BarakaTec

Dec 1, 2014, 8:20:55 PM12/1/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Do you really help all the people here?

Has anyone got an DSN for the iball from You , Simon?

Simon

Jan 30, 2015, 6:49:55 AM1/30/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

About 5 years ago I was able to contact the designer of the iBall through Spacewriter (which no longer exists in the UK - the company has been dissolved).

The device serial is what you need, so I would say try testing all the device serials as listed in the attachment by Tesla Rawks. The device serial number is relevant to the 4 digit code printed on the chip inside the iBall but I don't know exactly how it relates.

Once you have done this and assigned your iBall a device serial number, use the software to 'assign channels' in the upload section - ensuring it is plugged in to your PC.

Once you have done this your iBall should reset and perform the start up routine. Without 'assigning channels' first, you cannot upload to the iBall...

Please let me know if this works for you. Would be interested to know!

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Tesla Rawks

Mar 13, 2015, 6:51:10 PM3/13/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The only thing I haven't tried is using win98 which is the operating system this was built to run on.The rest of the info I found was in the help section..which was using those serial codes..   I gave up and just kept the setup.exe on disk because I couldn't find it again after downloading it from a site called informer.comI
If I ever wanted to load windows98 again and find the hardware to load the ball with which is a lot more expenses that I wanted to spend on a forgotten hardware I may mess with the Iball again. Good Luck.. Mine just sets behind my monitor like a magic 8 ball. I made some posts below of the help pages and the serial numbers.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Jason Atwood <jatw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Simon,

I came across an iBall at work. It was sitting in a cabinet collecting dust. The gentleman that knew about it is no longer with the company. I have been able to get the software and the software code. But I am stuck on the device number and the comm cable. Does this use a standard serial or a null modem cable. Also, what are the serial parameters (baud, etc)

the 4 digit code on my chip is 5647. If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. If so I may have the perfect application for it at the office.

Thanks,
Jason

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 1:10:58 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've also acquired one of these, specifically an iBall+. I've managed to get the SDE software installed and working (thanks for that and the serial number, that's great) but I'm falling at the next hurdle - adding the device to the device list. I can enter the serials Tesla Rawks posted in an image OK but if I try to enter the serial (see attached image) from the bottom of my iBall I just get an 'incorrect serial' message and it won't add the device :( Any assistance gratefully received!

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 1:40:03 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Oh and the number on the chip is '5590'. I can't seem to get any combination of these to load, editing the text file with the serials in gives errors like 'not 16 chars long' or just 'is an invalid serial' when loading it back in. Interestingly I have found that the program ignores the 'TO-' 4 char section if you enter this in the text file and load this.

Tesla Rawks

Mar 15, 2015, 2:03:51 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
IMO the serial number is needed when you have several iballs and you want to be able to tell which one to roll the program on.. I too tried the serial numbers all over the iball and none of them would add into the software.
I can start it up and the software takes the serial numbers from the help file.The only hardware I couldn't build or find under $100 was the Cluster UploaderI tried to patch one together using a modem and some software like a  usb serial adapter that I found searching the internet.  all I got was error codes..   ( I found a few other software companies placed serail and password and user names in their help section. I guess life is easier when you read the instructions) There was a youtube page where it looked like samsung had someone helping a man with the chip code it was dated almost 3 years ago and I wrote that youtube page and never heard back from them

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 2:43:20 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks but I think the device serial is going to be needed - I have a number of serial connected devices that I play around with on my Raspberry Pi and many of them work on the same basis - they all listen to all the code being sent on the serial port and then only respond when they 'hear' the right device ID. I the iBall is behaving in the same way - it is listening on the serial port but it is just ignoring the instruction because it doesn't see the instruction as being for it.

Interestingly on the FAQ of the Taiwanese SpaceWriter website it states:

Do we need a "Device Serial Number"?
No. You wont' need DSN typed in SDE if your hardware device version is 4.0 or above. You can find out what verion it is in the splash screen right after power on.

My iBall says it is at hardware version 2 as it starts up, sadly seems unlikely we'll be able to get firmware updates for it...!

Jim Lad

Mar 15, 2015, 2:45:47 PM3/15/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The device serial numbers on the help image you attached all seem to be quite similar with a limited character set - I wonder how long it would take to run through every possible iteration of those.... we might be done before the sun goes nova...!

Jon Bruno

Apr 17, 2015, 11:40:39 AM4/17/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys.. I guess I took for granted that the DSN was attached to your devices.
I have the  "Don't lose this number!" sticker is affixed to the bottom of my unit in the serial port area.

Kai Pays

Jan 24, 2013, 11:47:34 AM1/24/13
to notti...@googlegroups.com
this isnt it is it?

On 24 January 2013 16:04, Chunky <chunky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Spacial Display Editor

--
Regards, Kai Pays ॐ

Chunky

Jan 15, 2014, 5:58:23 AM1/15/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,
Thanks very much for the product key.
The last I has was a copy of the software with a software key.
The main issue is that the iBall that I have does not have its device ID number on it (its stamped on the later versions, but on mine it came on a piece of paper which is lost in the midst of time).

I have not got around to testing if that product key works - was this to make the software work (which I now have) or to make the device work (which I dont have and I thought was a unique ID). I had thoughts about doing a brute force ID guess, but then calculated it would take more seconds than there probably are left before the sun burns out.

I'll try and rig it up tonight to check.
Otherwise I think its a big ole paperweight.

Cheers,

Matt

Tesla Rawks

Oct 1, 2014, 1:41:18 PM10/1/14
to notti...@googlegroups.com
OK here is what I have got so far.. I went to the Spacial Display Editor put in the software serial and then I went to the Help search section and I took the device serial off that page and it worked on my iball which was nice to get further down the road on this.. and then I had found a YouTube video from the makers of this Iball and it showed how to set it up to run.. I still have the "No Sequences Enabled Upload Needed!" sign on the ball and I have been playing with the Micro SD Flash because if I read it right the M.SD.Flash will let me upload a file and save me from letting the iball run for 72 hours to charge the battery again... I have been trying all different patterns to get it to load and I have been getting some checksum errors which is a good sign that my pc is actually trying to communicate with the iball.
I even went into my device manager and set the COM1 up with the same numbers as the IBALL has in its help pages. The youtube video I found helpful was from Samsung and it shows how to load it up and the person running the sight seemed helpful to one of us so I wrote him to see if he could help me with my iball serial number but afterward I seen that the help sections picture's serial worked fine. http://youtu.be/F5byadDsPCo

Good Luck .
Device Serials.PNG
Micro SD Flash.PNG

Jason Atwood

Jsson83

Jul 1, 2015, 6:16:56 PM7/1/15
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hello

When you have installed the SDE and starting it for the first time, you have to enter the "Custom serial number", and that´s the same for all units.
1026 CCE9 FBFD FBD8 ,the same as stated earlier.

But then you are entering the wrong number inside the SDE.

The "Production serial number" is not the one that should be used.

The right number looks like the ones Tesla published. 4 groups of number and digits.

The device serial number relates to the 4 digits visible on top of the IC1 inside the dome. Don´t know how they are related though.

When I bought one, i e-mailed Spacewriter UK with the 4 digit code, they charged me some money and sent my 16 digit code back. They don´t exist anymore.

Have you tried to e-mail the manufacture to get the code?

Regards Jsson83

Simon

Aug 14, 2015, 11:03:09 AM8/14/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello All

I have obtained the list of every DSN you could ever possibly require from the maker of the iBALL! Please see the attachment...have fun with your iBALLs people. :)

PS you need to enter this in the software and probably need windows XP for the software to function correctly...

Simon
DeviceSerialNumbers1to32000.txt

Simon

Aug 14, 2015, 11:03:10 AM8/14/15
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack, chunky...@gmail.com
Hello All,

I have obtained a list of all the possible DSNs from the maker of the iBALL! Have fun with your iBALLs people!

PS you need windows XP for the software to work correctly and need to enter the DSN in the software

Simon
DeviceSerialNumbers1to32000.txt

Simon

Aug 15, 2015, 1:08:28 PM8/15/15