Amstrad CPC 6128 or a way of reading CF-2 format 3 inch discs

Ian Dickinson

Mar 17, 2024, 9:15:19 AMMar 17
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
By any chance, does anyone have a Amstrad CPC 6128 I could use for a while, borrow or even buy?

I have an elderly friend who gave his away to a charity shop some years ago, but now needs some files off some old CF-2 format 3 inch floppy discs.

Aaron Jackson

Mar 17, 2024, 9:22:02 AMMar 17
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If you can get hold of just a floppy drive, I have a Greaseweazle v4 which you could borrow to image the disks from a modern pc.

Cheers,
Aaron

On 17 Mar 2024, at 12:48, Ian Dickinson <i...@d1ckinson.com> wrote:

By any chance, does anyone have a Amstrad CPC 6128 I could use for a while, borrow or even buy?

I have an elderly friend who gave his away to a charity shop some years ago, but now needs some files off some old CF-2 format 3 inch floppy discs.

Rave Pants

Mar 17, 2024, 5:48:11 PMMar 17
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If memory serves, I may have an Amstrad 3" drive you can use with the Greaseweazle.

I'll have a dig and let you know asap.

Thanks,

Kai

--
Regards,

Kai Pays

Ian Dickinson

Mar 17, 2024, 6:01:43 PMMar 17
to notti...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kai & Aaron,

Thanks for your offers of help with this.

Regards,

Ian

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CACeUhYQAavTSRF2MuCKAJVcPFV7R6zgJ95XPyR6KFx1fAYOQ-Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Rave Pants

Mar 18, 2024, 6:10:08 AMMar 18
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Look what I found lurking in storage!
The machine itself works/boots, and I have all the leads, I can't test the floppy drive as I don't have any 3" floppies, but I have taken the drive out and serviced it ready for you.
You are welcome to borrow it to do the backups, and I'll pop it in my member box near the main entrance/gatekeeper for you when I'm next there.

IMG_20240318_100447.jpg

--
Regards,

Kai Pays

Ian Dickinson

Mar 18, 2024, 6:23:13 AMMar 18
to notti...@googlegroups.com

That's brilliant. Thanks very much!

Rave Pants

Mar 18, 2024, 6:38:40 AMMar 18
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Your welcome,

As an added bonus I have flashed a spare gotek floppy emulator with the CPC code and that seems to work ok in the machine and run games/progs, its currently wired for internal but that can be changed.
I think this may aid you in backing up your friends floppies to a USB stick, you will need an external drive connector cable and 5v to the berg connector on the gotek.
I'll include this in the box.

I found external cable here:

All this is assuming the real floppy actually works, so probably best to test that first.

Thanks,

Kai.

--
Regards,

Kai Pays

Ian Dickinson

Mar 18, 2024, 6:47:42 AMMar 18
to notti...@googlegroups.com

HI Kai,

Thanks again!

If all works, it sounds like it should be pretty straight forward to copy the files to USB and then on to a PC.

Regards,

Ian

Rave Pants

Mar 19, 2024, 2:46:15 PMMar 19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

I have dropped the amstrad off at the space for you, it doesn't quite fit in my box so I've put it on the uppermost shelf out of people's way.

Also I have just realised the drive seems to be missing the drive belt 🤦 but I have found a stockist here:

I hope you can get your friend sorted 👍

Cheers,

Kai.

IMG_20240318_100447.jpg