Assistance request - replacing through hole capacitors - PAID

Tony S

Nov 18, 2023, 9:30:26 AM11/18/23
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Hello folks,

TLDR: Is there anyone at the hackspace who'd be willing to assist me replacing some capacitors, and repairing a few traces on a PCB, as the repair is now beyond my ability due to loss of manual dexterity. Happy to pay for your time, I've already purchased the required parts.

Full details:
It's a subwoofer amplifier (BK Gemini II)
I had thought the repair was well within my ability, but it appears I can't manage the dexterity to manipulate tools anymore.

We'd be looking at at least 5 capacitors being replaced, as those were the ones obviously bulging, thought I bought spares to do a full swap (10-15 capacitors) so depends how viable we think the repair is.
Unfortunately, some 6 traces and pads were damaged when I attempted repair, so a decision would be needed to see if it's viable to repair or not.  I have taken photos can can supply, or I can show the amp at the space anytime next week.

Is anyone in a position to assist, and if so could you please let me know your availability in December (as would have to be after payday!) and please advise on your hourly rate.

Thanks in advance!

Tony Shannon

Peter Stokes

Nov 18, 2023, 10:13:51 AM11/18/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony

I am unfortunately near Grantham, so not necessarily convenient, but happy to sort this out for you if you do not find anyone else to do it.

Not sure about your ref to payday, but would be happy to do it without any charge.

All the best

Peter
07977 532320

Sent from my iPad

Leo T Beaver

Nov 18, 2023, 10:41:35 AM11/18/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony, do you drive? I'm happy to help but  I need you to bring it to South Normanton, Alfreton.Let me know.Theo

smith_barry

Nov 18, 2023, 11:09:56 AM11/18/23
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony, I may be able to help.  I am in Nottingham, NG4 3DB and have a pace desoldering iron.  As others have said happy to do free.  I also have LCR capacitor tester so should be able to do testing insitu.

I am around most days

Barry

Tony S

Nov 18, 2023, 1:33:35 PM11/18/23
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Folks, thank you all for replying and your kind offers to help.

Peter and Theo - unfortunately as I don't drive, I'm limited by public transport - but thank you for reaching out!

Barry - thank you, I'll reach out directly to find a time that is good for you.
I will insist on making a contribution towards your time as it's skilled work, happy to donate to a charity of your choice if preferred though!

Cheers

Tony

Peter Stokes

Nov 18, 2023, 2:49:05 PM11/18/23