Aluminium Etching

Nick Scott

Aug 3, 2022, 6:53:40 AM8/3/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
If I wanted to laser etch an aluminium sheet approx A4 size with detail to look like a control panel, so a mix of lettering and diagrams etc, would the laser cutter be able to do that?

Ian Dickinson

Aug 3, 2022, 7:12:06 AM8/3/22
to notti...@googlegroups.com

The laser can't etch aluminium directly, but it can be used to either:

a) remove the anodising from anodised aluminium, or

b) burn an applied coating (like CerMark) into the metal.

This blog post may be of interest ... https://smokeandmirrors.store/blogs/blog/engraving-metal-with-your-co2-laser-cutter

On 03/08/2022 11:53, Nick Scott wrote:
If I wanted to laser etch an aluminium sheet approx A4 size with detail to look like a control panel, so a mix of lettering and diagrams etc, would the laser cutter be able to do that? --

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/6095a12f-e13b-405c-a709-4977cbebf91an%40googlegroups.com.

j4cob...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2022, 7:34:27 AM8/3/22
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Seems like this might also be something the CNC would be good at