SLA (liquid resin high resolution) 3D Printer pledge drive

Dave s

Jun 24, 2019, 2:07:39 PM6/24/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
 HI members

check out this pledge drive for a high resolution liquid resin 3D printer.  You can use this to make "warhammer" style models, jewellery, buttons even teeth!

Edward Podgorski

Jun 24, 2019, 4:26:57 PM6/24/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Well I can get into my HMS account but when I use the same password and log in name to get to the wiki it says incorrect. I will pledge £15.00

James Taylor

Jun 24, 2019, 4:44:17 PM6/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
It's a bit funny. I have to use my email for HMS and my Username for the wiki else it doesn't work for me.

Ian Dickinson

Jun 24, 2019, 4:50:31 PM6/24/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
A few questions:
- will this machine require an induction?
- will those who pledge receive a free induction, as has been done with other induction machines purchased via pledge drives?
- will there be a charge to use it?
- if there's a charge for use, will there be any credit for those who pledge, like there was for the laser?
- will it be bookable?

Edward Podgorski

Jun 24, 2019, 4:56:30 PM6/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yeap but even my Nottinghack dont seem to work. I used the password I created and the user name you posted but cant get into my mailbox

Dave s

Jun 25, 2019, 5:07:23 AM6/25/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack

I see this machine as free to use, no compulsory induction. instructions and videos will be made available on the wiki

A voluntary(low cost) workshop session will be set up and this will be free to pledgers.

issues relating to booking will be looked at if there is high use. With the machine only costing £250 we could buy multiple machines to meet demand.

Ian Dickinson

Jun 25, 2019, 12:34:38 PM6/25/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Thanks for the answers.
Pledge added to the wiki page.

Jon H

Jun 25, 2019, 5:19:13 PM6/25/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
@ Edward and Jim. Password issues can be resolved by contact Matt Lloyd or Daniel, often at the space on Wednesday eve.

Ian Dickinson

Jun 26, 2019, 6:45:27 PM6/26/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Just a thought for discussion, rather than each member having to buy 500ml or so of resin, have to fill and empty the machine each time they use it risking spillages and have to store their stock somewhere, would it be better if there was a usage charge and the machine could be left filled?

D Spence

Jun 27, 2019, 5:21:02 AM6/27/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Short answer is, not really.  Who will implement/maintain it? (not me)

It is normal for members to clean tools after use and supply there own materials

Resin comes in many colours and types( rigid,strong.flex).
 Manufacturers recommend it is stored in the bottle when not in use.
It is sensitive to light ,oxygen and dust.
Usual shelf life is 1 year in the bottle. prices start from £19/500ml
 Members could share resin or ask another member to print for them

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 23:45, Ian Dickinson <i...@d1ckinson.com> wrote:
Just a thought for discussion, rather than each member having to buy 500ml or so of resin, have to fill and empty the machine each time they use it risking spillages and have to store their stock somewhere, would it be better if there was a usage charge and the machine could be left filled?

Edward Podgorski

Jun 27, 2019, 8:08:06 AM6/27/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
So the likely hood is they will store resin in there bowes so that will cause an issue. Lets say 20 regular users each keeping resin in boxes chances are 1 will leak. I have been a member a number of years and although some members clean there tools after use not all do. Cant tell you how many times I have come in early in the morning to use the laser to find the bed has not been cleaned downy, pizza boxes stacked up on the top of the large storage area, cans cups you name it left near the computer. In reality I doubt the 3d printer will differ. I would like to see a 3d resin printer in the space but I think Ian's idea is much better.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.

D Spence

Jun 27, 2019, 10:00:59 AM6/27/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
i respectfully disagree. I have done a lot of research on this matter and it all points in the opposite direction.

Issues relating to pizza box's etc are irrelevant to the new printer. We have had the Ultimaker for several years with no problems. Members have to buy there own 3D filament for this at an average cost of £20/kilo.  I see no reason to remove  choice from members.

I can see a point for having a members resin storage box/area. Perhaps that could become a resin share scheme.

Resins come in sturdy bottles with  safety caps. they are unlikely to leak. I have a bottle you can examine.  The COSH statements say that resin must be stored in its bottle when not in use.  The resin tank is not a suitable place to store resin long term. The resin will solidify or become contaminated.
cleaning the vat is very easy to do. we can print spare vats as well. the vat is only about the size of 2 iPhone 5's stacked.

On charging. These things are easier said than done. (respectfully) Are yourself/Ian volunteering to implement/maintain this system?

How will we work out how much to charge? We cant do it based on time as 1 20gram model takes the same amount of time to print as 10 (of the same) 20gram models. Who will implement the software. Who will install the hardware? Who will keep the tank topped up? What if a member wants a different colour or type of resin?

 'Im not saying its impossible but its unnecessarily complicated and bureaucratic. Buy-your-own is simple and it works and its how every other tool in the space works.

A PAYG resin 3d printer isn't a bad idea but I feel that that should be a different machine funded entirely from 'space funds, Fully researched with pre-agreed implementors and maintainer.

Lee Hutchison

Jul 2, 2019, 5:31:18 AM7/2/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I see the pledge drive is losing momentum, so to inspire the jewellery and model makers in the space, you can use this printer to make re-usable molds.  Better still, if you use high temperature resin, you can use the molds with pewter:

For the more advanced jewellers, you can get a castable resin for investment casting. The 3d printed resin vaporises at high heat, leaving a void which can be filled with molten silver, gold or whatever you can melt:

Dan Spencer

Jul 2, 2019, 4:29:05 PM7/2/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
That is very cool.

Dave s

Jul 3, 2019, 3:00:47 PM7/3/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
we have £110 to go!

Pledgers will get a free training workshop covering all you need to know to use the machine.

you can pledge as little as £5.

This is a really cool tool that can make high precision models.

charcole

Jul 7, 2019, 9:02:29 AM7/7/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I'll pledge £10. I'm a new member and don't seem to be able to log in to the wiki to add myself yet but I'm interested in this.

Charlie

maxima bunting

Jul 7, 2019, 1:33:46 PM7/7/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'll pledge a tenner :)

Arthur Moore

Jul 7, 2019, 1:35:18 PM7/7/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Not sure how useful it will be to me as only a small print, but seemed worth contributing £10 to get one.
Art

D Spence

Jul 7, 2019, 1:56:41 PM7/7/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I think we have reached the pledge ammount...

BUT

keep on pledging so we can buy some more resin. and hopefully everyone will get some to try the machine
 All pledgers ( over £10) get a free induction and exclusive use for the first month.

D Spence

Jul 9, 2019, 1:01:47 PM7/9/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I assume that everyone who has pledged is cool with the stretch goal of getting the better Anycubic Photon printer. Better is always better. I think everyone wants the best possible tool we can get ,for our budget.

Please feel free to keep on pledging. it will fund open source resin.  Pledges, £10 and over, get a free induction.

i contacted the ebay supplier and they say 5 days to deliver (but they always say that).

PLEDGERS .Please start paying. Thanks. No seriously. Thanks.

Things to do.

liaise with trustees to arrange purchase.
liase with hms-rfid-team to build rfid box and setup on the system
finalise a spot to put the machine.
print some of the essential mods (extra filter box, custom handle, spare resin tray etc)
purchase/make cleaning and uv-curing unit
plumb in machine and test.
create and document induction method
Recruit and train additional inductors (2 of) and activate on hms
add wiki page
create cheat sheets for settings.
deliver pledge inductions
Discuss  (with pledgers) the distribution of any opensource resin
discuss budget for repairs.
other things...

If you would like to get involved with the new printer please shout out. I need 2 persons to become inductors.  3d printing skills not required. The main qualities you need is patience and enthusiasm.

Arthur Moore

Jul 9, 2019, 2:37:58 PM7/9/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
If we can stretch to the Anyvcubic Photon it has a bigger print volume which would be great.
On your things to do list, there is no mention of extraction.
I haven't used one so not sure how bad it is, but reviewers comment on the smell being pretty bad and we do not want to upset other users at the Space.  Have you any ideas on this?
Regards,  Arthur

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.

D Spence

Jul 9, 2019, 4:42:46 PM7/9/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The photon has a built in filter. I will be adding a cover for the extraction port and  additional carbon filtration. that should take care of the smells

sidenote. cant be as bad as the dog smell/toilets on monday

Arthur Moore

Jul 10, 2019, 3:00:26 AM7/10/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com

D Spence

Jul 10, 2019, 7:03:10 AM7/10/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
The Anycubic photon will be ordered in a few days. should arrive in about 2 weeks.

Please start paying your pledge amounts
you can pay via bank transfer ( bank details on HMS ) Please pay with the reference SLAPRINTER-XX where XX is your initials
You can pay cash direct to a trustee.
You can put cash in the safe next to the money gobbler. please put in an envelope marked "3d printer pledge drive", your name and amount.
update the pledge wiki so we can keep track of whos paid.

Ian Gill

Jul 13, 2019, 9:07:05 AM7/13/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
I own the Anycubic Photon already so don't mind offering my services or answering questions.

The resin smell is an issue with some resins in confined spaces and only really a problem when it's powered on. When is switched off the smell is contained inside. I have mine in my 10'x13' garden shed and have the door open when I can but even when the door it's closed its not really unbearable.

D Spence

Jul 13, 2019, 9:54:46 AM7/13/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
what resins do you recommend and what systems do you use to wash and cure?

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 at 14:07, Ian Gill <pha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I own the Anycubic Photon already so don't mind offering my services or answering questions.

The resin smell is an issue with some resins in confined spaces and only really a problem when it's powered on. When is switched off the smell is contained inside. I have mine in my 10'x13' garden shed and have the door open when I can but even when the door it's closed its not really unbearable.

Ian Gill

Jul 14, 2019, 8:40:15 AM7/14/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the Anycubic grey currently after using up the green that came with the printer.

I'm having issues with adherence to the bed with the grey so once I get a spare moment, having a new kitchen fitted which is taking up crafting time, I'll experiment with the settings and leveling/homing the bed again.

Cleaning wise, for the items I'm making, I'm using isopropyl alcohol in large jam jars, one to clean the resin coating the cured print, another to soak it for five minutes and then rinsing with water.

Curing the models I've been leaving in the sun until I get the UV lights bought and set up.

Cleaning the vat I've only done once and for that I've poured the resin out back into the bottle using the supplied filter. Soon realised the filters aren't designed for the bottle so in future will also use a funnel with the filter. I used the supplied plastic scraper to help remove all of the wet resin. I've managed to scoop out the cured failed prints that stick to the bottom of the vat prior to cleaning the vat so didn't have much to filter out. The was a couple of contact lense sized pieces in there.

Doing this meant there was very little resin left so used blue roll dipped in isopropyl to wipe the resin off.

I also cleaned the screen and surrounding area with isopropyl in case any resin had leaked or dripped there.

I'm planning to purchase a dinner tray, or suggest to the wife we need new trays for the new kitchen so I can take one I already have my eyes on to sit the printer onto to catch any spills. I believe it can be quite easy to over fill the vat and have resin spill over and maybe down the printer of there's too much.

People also suggest scratching the bed with sand paper to help adherence but I'll see how changing the settings help before doing that.

I'm also thinking of looking for a container large enough to use as an isopropyl bath for the vat.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CAByPWHOGAFYmYE8SSmLAuivoK4j2%2Buf0x%3DZem4E%3DoddLcGSuKg%40mail.gmail.com.

Benny Woolley

Jul 18, 2019, 1:19:36 PM7/18/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Can confirm as an owner and long term user, the Photon (or any liquid resin printer) is anti-socially smelly, even in a large room or workshop.
The built in filter does absolutely nothing, and the fumes are more dependent on temperature than resin or the ventilation.
It's advised against breathing them at all, which in your own home is up to you, but inflicting on other hackspace members is deeply inconsiderate.

It really does need an extractor system.

It also will need some kind of insulation or vat heater in winter as colder temperatures affect many factors during printing.

Personally it's not something I'd leave completely open use either, as one person making a mistake can destroy the FEP, the screen, the bearings, and cause hours of cleanup and trouble shooting for the next user.

For example: getting resin slightly above the recommended fill level will get it into the ball joint of the plate, and require total strip down of the assembly.
If you can guarantee every hackspace member can accurately pour liquid into a tray, I'd be delighted.

D Spence

Jul 18, 2019, 2:27:43 PM7/18/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
reports on the smell seem to differ.
 im going to reserve judgement until the machine arrives. building an enclosure is easy to do if needed. all the materials are to hand.

the machine is going to be an induction/rfid tool.
 I have a positive view of the membership and i am confident the tool will be used correctly,
 if we gave into  a "worse case scenario" viewpoint  we would not have any tools in the hackspace.

Bemmy, are you a member? if so i would be great if you could assist with the setup of the machine.
Have you personally experienced the problems you mentioned?
what solutions have you implemented? we can gain from your experiences to prepare the induction.

thanks

Edward Podgorski

Jul 18, 2019, 3:44:14 PM7/18/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Where do you plan to site the machine as I think you will need an extractor as many Youtubers say that the smell is bad. You can not expect other Hackspace users to suffer if it is so bad.

D Spence

Jul 18, 2019, 6:01:45 PM7/18/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
 i dont think there is much point to negative speculation about this.
lets just  wait til it arrives then we can judge for ourselves.
if bad smell is an issue we will solve the problem.

Edward Podgorski

Jul 19, 2019, 4:44:17 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Its not negative speculation and I am a pledge contributor as I want to see this but also as a trustee of the space I have concerns that the fumes of the resin will impact on others. Also for example you forgot to mention that after you clean the item how do you dispose of the isopropanol? You also need to cure the item to harden it which is fine on nice sunny days as you can do that in sunlight but in winter months you need U.V light. As it happens the Silk screening set up being worked on right now will have a U.V booth so I have already spoken to the person involved in that so we can use for hardening our items. The extraction is a potential big issue.

D Spence

Jul 19, 2019, 6:05:03 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
I am not sure what you want me to say.  I am already aware of the issues you have raised and i am already working on solutions.

I dont want a bad smell in the space either. I have a nose as well . The machine hasn't even arrived yet.

.Until I test the machine I dont know what level of filtering is required.
 I have researched a number of filtering systems and I have purchased a couple of carbon air filters already
It may be the case that full extraction is needed.

The best way to allay your concerns is to get involved with this project. I need help building the filter box and delivering inductions.

Arthur Moore

Jul 19, 2019, 7:17:01 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Do you need anything laser cut for the filter box?  If you have a sketch I can cut some parts for you, or help with assembly, if that is of any use.
Edward mentions disposing of the Isopropyl, but presumably it can be used multiple times.  I use it for cleaning at home and it has a bit of a smell, but is not noxious (no worse than white spirits, I think).
When we eventually need to dispose of it, it is soluble in water and I believe the small quantities we would be using can be put down the sink flushed with plenty of water.
Arthur

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CAByPWHMkbmytyz1zHFmszKrrqycbGk1YRvFAifqsNt-ERe7pkw%40mail.gmail.com.

Edward Podgorski

Jul 19, 2019, 7:36:14 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Arthur I was more referring to the smell of the actual resin and not the Isopropanol. However after you print a part you need to wash it in Isopropanol so some resin will remain in the Isopropanol after the bathing process. I don't think it is then suitable for disposal down the sink without filtering.

Arthur Moore

Jul 19, 2019, 7:45:52 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Yes - I think the area needs to be well organised.  perhaps somewhere to store the resin and iso bottles, plus washing bath, funnels (labelled resin and iso), golves, filters (what do we need - mesh, or paper?  if mesh maybe there is an old filter out of a coffee machine we could use, or I use a tea-strainer over a funnel to filter the bits out of chip oil).  If necessary we can always make an organiser for all the bits on the laser.  Acrylic would wipe cleaner.
When we get the machine and start to run it up we will more easily see what we need.
Arthur

D Spence

Jul 19, 2019, 8:13:57 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
to answer the ipa question.
safe disposal of the ipa will be a maintenance team issue. the usual method is to put it out in the sun and let it evaporate. the resin wil uv cure at the same time. cured resin is inert.  I dont know what colour bowl we will use.

I could write a book on all the research I have done. Im sure no one cares. They just want to print hi-res models ( in a room thats not smelly ).
 I havent stated every single minute detail. its quicker to just get on with it. Plus ,to be honest I am making as i go. Its the way things get done in the space. we cant just talk we have to act and move forward.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CA%2B5xryFNRqY3899RdnSgehwGfUmAwaxxBjnAcxX7maV4icSpRg%40mail.gmail.com.

Froggy

Jul 19, 2019, 8:52:53 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
"safe disposal of the ipa will be a maintenance team issue"
There's a maintenance team?

Flippance aside - safe disposal of stuff like IPA and resin is everyone's responsibility if they're using the kit, so it's not an unreasonable consideration to keep in mind.

Dan Spencer

Jul 19, 2019, 10:08:19 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Regardless of the smell it will probably need to go in a box anyway due to close proximity to the sawdust generated by CNC.
I'm with Dave on this though, we won't know how bad it is until we know.

Spencer Owen

Jul 19, 2019, 10:20:37 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 13:13, D Spence <not...@gmail.com> wrote:
... Plus ,to be honest I am making as i go. Its the way things get done in the space. we cant just talk we have to act and move forward.

I'm amazed that along side the thread about how the Hackspace might have to close down because it's running out of money is this thread about buying an expensive bit of equipment and wilfully ignoring things like fume extraction.  So after buying the tool, the space is either left with a tool that cannot be used because of fumes, or it has to come up with extra money to make it usable.

 "It's the way things get done in the space" sums up many of the purchases which have ended up being much more of a financial drain on the space than was intended.

Spencer

Edward Podgorski

Jul 19, 2019, 10:33:52 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
As a footnote re possible expense. I had a discussion with James another trustee regarding the potential issue of resin fumes. (Note that some responses in other threads indicate that they have already got the same bit of kit at home and they consider it a problem so I am going by what people have experienced.) The location of the this printer may have to be upstairs and connect to the extractor unit we already have which serves the spray booth. That way it would not be so costly to undertake. I appreciate we need to see but better to think out a solution should there be a problem rather than a bit of kit members have bought not being able to be used because of issues and complaints from other members who may not be users.

Arthur Moore

Jul 19, 2019, 10:33:54 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Spencer,
The Space is NOT buying this expensive piece of equipment.  Members chose to give their own money to buy their equipment.
I think you are extremely disrespectful to Dave who is putting in a lot of time and effort to organise this and who will make it work.
He know about the potential fume problem and when we get the equipment and can see what needs to be done we will solve the problem.  If extra money is needed doubtless the people who wanted this machine will find a way to fund it and then EVERY member of Hackspace will benefit from our financial and other contributions which they will be able to use for free.
The problem of Hackspace running out of money is an entirely different problem due to members not paying enough to fund the monthly overheads.
Arthur

Arthur Moore

Jul 19, 2019, 10:36:35 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edward,
I thought upstairs near the spray room might be a low cost solution.
Arthur

Dan Spencer

Jul 19, 2019, 10:42:12 AM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Spencer I understand why you'd think that but this new 3D SLA Printer has been funded entirely by members through a pledge drive that was started before this email came out.
You have no need to worry, no extra money from the Hackspace bank account will be put towards it and maintenance will be paid for through inductions just as it is for the laser cutter and the embroidery machine.
If an enclosure is needed, we will build one or we will move it upstairs near the existing extraction facilities.

People continue to pay their membership fees partly because of all the awesome tools we have. If we stop providing cool tools, people will buy the tools themselves and the space will become redundant.
If this is what the members want then we should move forward the best way we know how.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 at 15:33, Edward Podgorski <ed...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Spencer Owen

Jul 19, 2019, 11:09:38 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arthur,

Yes, I fully understand that this is being bought through a pledge drive, and that the cost of the machine itself isn't coming out of Hackspace funds.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Dave, and I appreciate that he's put a lot of work in to getting this off the ground.  However, something like fume extraction, particularly when it's been flagged up in advance, shouldn't be overlooked or dismissed as a "we can fix it later" issue.  Whilst I appreciate that the machine itself is paid for by the members, as have been a lot of the good tools at the Hackspace, I would be surprised if there would be a 2nd pledge drive to make it usable if the fumes become an issue.  As a member for almost 8 years, I cannot recall seeing a pledge drive for a tool which the Hackspace already has just to get it actually working.  So if there are funds needed for an extraction system, or air filters, or whatever, then if that money comes out of the Hackspace funds then it is totally part of the Hackspace financial issues.

If it doesn't need extraction or anything else spending on it, then that's great.  If it does need that, and it's paid for by donation, then that's great too.

I don't mean to pick on this particular tool, or on Dave either, but as I've seen this happen with other tool or projects, then I think it's worth discussing particularly in light of the current financial situations.

Spencer

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CA%2B5xryHg15U2RjxGtBO7zR1HmFT2g9AhjuCBPQHuwc%3Dy7QYqrg%40mail.gmail.com.

D Spence

Jul 19, 2019, 11:14:33 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Im glad we can all agree with putting the printer next to the  extraction system IF necessary.

just been upstairs and there are a couple of good spots we could put the printer. aside from extraction hose ,all materials have either already been acquired or can be 3d printed. There are many extraction system designs on Thingiverse.

Dan is right cool tools attract new members.
thanks for the support Arthur.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/41f68b5c-2965-4e43-93ab-210d22676754%40googlegroups.com.

D Spence

Jul 19, 2019, 11:41:56 AM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
to Spencer.
 have a look at the pledge wiki and the two theads re this printer
 it was stated clearly from the start that a fume system might be needed. Folks seem to think this is something of an afterthought. It isnt...
Extraction has already been funded with the pledge drive and filters/fans i will be donating.

until the machine arrives we cant make any firm plans.  We have a number of equally good options.

Im a bit baffled by all the concerns as it seems obvious that common sense and caution would be exercised. So obvious it didnt need to be stated...

feel free to pledge. £10 gets you a free induction. volunteers to help build/fit the extraction box are also needed.

And yes the induction will cover safety issues with the resin/ IPA.  .This is why we have inductions. Shouldn't have to state the obvious( as its obvious).

Spencer Owen

Jul 19, 2019, 12:40:05 PM7/19/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll admit that I hadn't looked at the pledge on the Wiki, and had only been casually keeping up with the threads about this.  The last few messages on here seemed to be along the lines of "Hey, what about fumes? - Meh, we'll think of something later" which is what got my attention.  If that's all potentially taken care of, then great.

Spencer

social justice zordon

Jul 19, 2019, 5:41:21 PM7/19/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
With regards to location, the PCB etching tank sees very little use and anyway does not need to be in its present location.

Just a thought, I have no opinions.

Ian Gill

Jul 23, 2019, 6:16:42 PM7/23/19
to Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack
Not sure if it's me but I may be getting used to the smell of the Anycubic Grey resin or it's not actually that bad.  I find the isopropyl alcohol smellier.  I think you'll only need to 3d print the rear vent attachment and then attach the flexible tumble dryer tube to it, passing this through to the extraction system.  You'll need space nearby the printer to make sure you're not transporting the print bed very far once it's finished printing and that way it cuts down the risk of spilling/dripping resin around.  The same goes for emptying the vat of resin.  There's a nice funnel on thingiverse that is designed to hold the filters that come with the printer.  The first time I tried using one it all spilled over the edge of the bottle opening.

When I was researching the printer I was really concerned I would end up looking like Heisenberg from Breaking Bad but I'm managing to do everything really cleanly by being careful.

Perhaps it might be wise to provide each user, upon induction, a box with supplies, gloves, mask, goggles etc, in it (At a cost that benefits the space) and as somewhere to store their resin, basic tools and perhaps isopropyl alcohol jars/bottles. Then perhaps charge for refills at least that way people are investing more than just time in the print and may want to make sure it's cleaned and looked after.

It won't take much to mess the printer up particularly the FEP.  A supply of those on hand would be useful, perhaps with spare vats so people can continue printing whilst the vat is being cleaned/repaired.

I've not had any experience with the space's current 3d printer how does it work exactly?  I'm currently printing a 26 hour print, the fourth one over the last week or two, so was wondering how the space deals with large prints like that in respect of charging and booking its useage?  The resin printer, likewise, has a long print cycle, my recent 200% scaled image of me miniature, took over 5 hours to print.

D Spence

Jul 24, 2019, 6:46:11 AM7/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian
Thanks for your input. Its good to hear from persons who have first hand experience on the machine we are getting. Would you like to get involved in the setup of the printer?
When the printer arrives. we are going to conduct  tests to asses the level of the  smell. Anyone concerned about smell is welcome to attend.
I have some resin to hand. Some members have sniff tested and said its not that bad.  The smell is a "don't drink this! additive. Similar to what is put in IPA/ methylated spirit   etc.  I am hoping to use a "green" solvent instead of IPA.

I am asthmatic . I dont want to add to the air quality problems of the space. I dont want to sit in a smelly room!
 If the smell can be removed using carbon filters + air purifier (already purchased) then it can be left downstairs. This is my preferred solution and i already have all the materials to make this happen.
It may be the case that the machine needs to be plumbed into the extraction system.  I also have plans for this option. I may have to buy a longer hose (£10)

Once we have decided where the printer will go we will make decisions on the location of the wash station curing unit etc.

There are lots of files on thingiverse that I intend to print. I already have a supply of FEP film and will be printing spare vats in petg
. Please can you link to the accessories you think are the best to print.

This will be an induction machine so only trained persons will be able to use it. Usage will be logged on HMS. The induction will include safety training. I would be very grateful if you would share your experience with the machine to ensure we can promote best practice.

As this is a communal machine it is expected that prints wont last longer than the booking limit of 4 hours. persons wanting longer prints would need to purchase there own machine.

I will update the wiki to include this and other information.

Interested members are encouraged to become actively involved in this project.

Arthur Moore

Jul 24, 2019, 7:15:23 AM7/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
Given set up time, etc., I guess 4 hours would come down to actually printing for more no more than 3.5 hours, so roughly how deep an object could we print in that time at the highest and at a medium resolution?
(I think the area of the object does not change the print time.  It is only the depth which comes down to how long it takes to print each layer).
Thanks
Arthur

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Nottingham Hackspace - Nottinghack" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nottinghack/CAByPWHNY6DcX7fAD1ZcRt3Schw7ZY5xvf1od3u41-oKaz8GtTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

D Spence

Jul 24, 2019, 7:41:34 AM7/24/19
to notti...@googlegroups.com
A Very good Question.

The answer is.   Depends.
in the slicing software you set layer height and curing time you would then get an estimate of print time.
You are correct that 1,25mm model will take the same time as 10 of same. if you have a larger print you may have to slice it up to fit in the booking window.
its comes with own brand slicer software but we will be using  chitubox  https://www.chitubox.com/   please download a copy and run some test..
thee are some cheat sheets on the forums. il have a look.

I think 4 hours is a fair window for a shared machine. the machine wont turn off after 4 its just your booking window.

Matt Lloyd

Jul 24, 2019, 8:24:23 AM7/24/19
to NottingHack Google Groups
I’d expect this new printer to be added to the tool booking system with the same limitation as the current 3d printer
Which to be clear is 2 future bookings per user with a max length of 4 hours,
So thats 8 hours that you can consecutively book on the tool But also as will all other tools once your first booking is over you are then free to make another
So if you book 8 hours out in a day and at the point your half way through and the first booking is past, you can go and book more time after you second booking so long as no one else has already made a booking
So with the 3d printer’s its complete possible to make rolling bookings every 4 hours until some one else beast you to a time slot.

Matt

Matt Lloyd

Jul 24, 2019, 8:25:57 AM7/24/19
to NottingHack Google Groups
also just because your booking on HMS ends there is no need to get off the machine unless another member has a booking after yours

Matt

Arthur Moore

Jul 24, 2019, 8:31:04 AM7/24/19