Question about merging Noto fonts

Jae Woo Kim

Mar 8, 2016, 9:10:41 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there any way to merge two Noto fonts files into a single Noto fonts file?

I am working at a startup game company, and we are launching our game in Asia including China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. The thing is CJK version of Noto fonts does not support all of the countries, so we'd like to merge Noto Sans CJK fonts and Noto Sans Thai into a single file. We have tried to do it many times, but we couldn't get the right result.

Would you please help us to merge the fonts?

Best,
Jaewoo

Adam Twardoch (List)

Mar 8, 2016, 9:38:21 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Noto Sans CJK has 65535 glyphs, which is the maximum number of glyphs an OpenType font can have. It’s not possible to add any more glyphs to that font i.e. merge with another font because glyph indices are 16 bit in OpenType fonts. That’s an unfortunate limitation of OpenType being a direct descendent of TrueType, the font format developed in 1991.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

Dave Crossland

Mar 8, 2016, 9:42:47 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Also Noto Sans CJK is only provided as OTF, not TTF, while all other Noto fonts are only provided as TTF, not OTF.

If you convert the Thai font to OTF, then remove glyphs you don't need (to overcome the problem Adam describes) then I believe the pyftmerge tool in https://github.com/behdad/fonttools could be used to make the combination that you want.

Adam Twardoch (List)

Mar 8, 2016, 9:45:17 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Ps. The additional complication is that Noto Sans CJK has PostScript-flavored glyphs while Noto Sans Thai has TrueType-flavored glyphs.

You might be able to convert Noto Sans CJK into TrueType outlines with a font editor such as FontLab Studio 5, remove some glyphs (rarely used ones) to make room necessary for the Thai, generate that font as a .ttf and then merge it with Noto Sans Thai using pyftmerge from https://github.com/behdad/fonttools

You’d also need to rename the resulting font from "Noto" to something else to comply with the licensing requirements.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

On 09.03.2016, at 03:10, Jae Woo Kim <jw...@nine-m.com> wrote:

Adam Twardoch (List)

Mar 8, 2016, 9:48:40 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Hehe :)

Does pyftmerge work with OTF? Maybe it does, but I think Noto Sans CJK is a CID-keyed OTF, which potentially poses an additional conplication.

For that reason, converting Noto Sans CJK to TTF and merging both TTFs would be a bit easier than converting Noto Sans Thai to OTF and merging two OTFs.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

On 09.03.2016, at 03:42, Dave Crossland <da...@lab6.com> wrote:

Also Noto Sans CJK is only provided as OTF, not TTF, while all other Noto fonts are only provided as TTF, not OTF.

If you convert the Thai font to OTF, then remove glyphs you don't need (to overcome the problem Adam describes) then I believe the pyftmerge tool in https://github.com/behdad/fonttools could be used to make the combination that you want.

Behdad Esfahbod

Mar 8, 2016, 9:56:32 PM3/8/16
to noto-font
On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Adam Twardoch (List) <list...@twardoch.com> wrote:
You’d also need to rename the resulting font from "Noto" to something else to comply with the licensing requirements.

Humm.  As far as I know noto doesn't have any RFN requirements.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

On 09.03.2016, at 03:10, Jae Woo Kim <jw...@nine-m.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is there any way to merge two Noto fonts files into a single Noto fonts file?

I am working at a startup game company, and we are launching our game in Asia including China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. The thing is CJK version of Noto fonts does not support all of the countries, so we'd like to merge Noto Sans CJK fonts and Noto Sans Thai into a single file. We have tried to do it many times, but we couldn't get the right result.

Would you please help us to merge the fonts?

Best,
Jaewoo

Adam Twardoch (List)

Mar 8, 2016, 10:10:09 PM3/8/16
to noto...@googlegroups.com
Noto does not indeed seem to be using the Reserved Font Name mechanism as defined by the OFL license, yet “Noto” is still cited as a Google trademark inside the font files.

I’m not sure how trademark law applies to derivatives of works published under opensource licenses, but it’s better be safe. :)

Indeed, I should rephrase — renaming the font possibly does not need to be done due to license requirements, but I would still advise it to exclude any potential future trademark infringements. Though if the modified font is only bundled inside a closed-source app (e.g. a game), then it’s likely not necessary.

A.

Sent from my mobile phone.

Dave Crossland

Mar 8, 2016, 10:15:57 PM3/8/16