Keeping NCP settings in sync

David Fisher

Sep 17, 2020, 5:09:28 PM9/17/20
to Notecase Pro
I have NCP on  a couple of laptops, one is a regular installation, the other is a portable one. I'd like to keep settings in sync between them. Are there particular files common to both versions that control the various settings like keyboard shortcuts etc and which I could copy back and forth between them?

-- David F.

Paul Merrell

Sep 17, 2020, 7:16:08 PM9/17/20
to Notecase Pro
On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 2:09 PM 'David Fisher' via Notecase Pro
<noteca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I have NCP on a couple of laptops, one is a regular installation, the other is a portable one. I'd like to keep settings in sync between them. Are there particular files common to both versions that control the various settings like keyboard shortcuts etc and which I could copy back and forth between them?

All settings are stored in your notecase_pro.ini file. See Help file >
Installing and Upgrading > NoteCase Pro File Locations > .notecase
Directory for its location on your system.

A caution that not all settings are portable. For example, your type
size settings should vary if you have both a laptop and a desktop
machine with a large monitor.

Sections in the .ini file are arranged alphabetically. You can edit
the .ini file with a text editor that supports UTF-8 without Byte
Order Marking (BOM). Geany is an outstanding programmer's text editor
that supports UTF-8 without BOM out of the box and is supported on all
the desktop platforms NC Pro supports. There is a Geany plugin that
adds Lua support, including methods for constructing wizards. A Geany
Lua script that selectively replaces non-portable entries should not
be difficult.

NoteCase Pro overwrites a new notecase_pro.ini every time the program
shuts down. For that reason, exit NC Pro before editing your .ini
file.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message: The U.S. National
message.]

David Fisher

Sep 18, 2020, 11:11:37 AM9/18/20
to Notecase Pro
Thanks Paul. I'll just move the ini file back and forth then - nice and simple.