Beginner's question: How do I connect NCP to a 3rd party file sync service?

Christoph Trunk

Jul 20, 2023, 4:44:29 PM7/20/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi all,
I am glad that with Miroslav's help I managed to sync NCP on two PCs and my android smartphone with NcSyncServer. However, it might be more convenient for me to do this via a 3rd party file sync service (for example, DriveOnWeb). One reason is that for a sync with the phone, in my office and at home each time I have to enter different IP addresses for login.
I searched the help file of NCP and this group forum for answers but maybe as a newbie I am not able to find adequate search keywords.
Obviously for some of you this wasn't a problem at all! Could you maybe give me a hint how I can use the NcSyncServer to connect to an external party sync service? Which kind of address do I have to enter? Or does this work in a completely different way, that is, without the NcSyncServer?
Thanks for your help, Christoph

Paul Merrell

Jul 20, 2023, 8:56:56 PM7/20/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM 'Christoph Trunk' via Notecase Pro
<noteca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Obviously for some of you this wasn't a problem at all! Could you maybe give me a hint how I can use the NcSyncServer to connect to an external party sync service? Which kind of address do I have to enter? Or does this work in a completely different way, that is, without the NcSyncServer?

It's been a few years since I used a sync service but tried several in
my time. I don't think you can use the NoteCase Pro sync server to do
this. How exactly you sign up varies from vendor to vendor. But
basically, you register, download an interface, then designate the
directories you want to keep synchronized.

Downsides:

1. Very few synchronization services offer end-to-end encryption. That
means that the government can read your files online. Definitely look
for a service that has this feature.

2. What soured me on the services (all that I tried) was that when
files would synchronize was unpredictable. I couldn't switch back and
forth rapidly between my Linux and Windows boxen because there was no
way of knowing whether files had synched without checking file date
stamps. If this is important to you, be sure to check what triggers a
file sync with the service that interests you.

--
[Notice not included in the above original message: The U.S. National
message.]

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Miroslav Rajcic

Jul 21, 2023, 5:01:07 AM7/21/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
To confirm Paul's statement, 3rd party sync services are an alternative to syncing using NcSyncServer, i.e. the two are completely independent/unrelated.

Regards,
  Miro

Jul 26, 2023, 3:33:48 PM7/26/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi

I used seafile file sync in the past. Since I run my own server I use Nextcloud for many years now and it works perfectly (Windows & Linux clients). On android you need to have a file sync app like Autosync since the nextcloud app doesn't sync automatically on file change (at least i can't get it working ;-) )

kind regards
Raimund

Christoph Trunk

Aug 3, 2023, 4:26:31 PM8/3/23
to Notecase Pro
Thanks for your comments, I am still working on finding a solution (it's getting complicated, at least for me) - and will report on it.

Christoph Trunk

Aug 7, 2023, 2:44:50 PM8/7/23
to Notecase Pro
Hi,
it took me some time to find out that the solution I was aiming at (a combination of NCP and two other programs: SyncFolders for syncing between office computer, home computer and smartphone; DriveOnWeb for additional cloud-based syncing) did not work out, at least for me, because I encountered constant conflicts between different file versions.
So now I am humbly back to NcSyncServer, with my home computer as the central data base for NCP. For transferring new versions of my NCP files to the office computer I simply use SyncFolders with an USB stick.
One more question came up in the process - I don't know if I should open another thread for it: I noticed that there is the option to protect a single NCP document by a password. But is there a simple way to protect the very start of NCP by a password? Or do I have to use an external method for that?
Best, Christoph

Paul Merrell

Aug 7, 2023, 8:10:31 PM8/7/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 7, 2023 at 11:44 AM 'Christoph Trunk' via Notecase Pro <noteca...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Hi, Christof,

There is no such argument. See Help File > User Interface > Command Line Arguments

So you'd need to use an external method. Please let us know if you find such a method and I'll include it in the Help file.

Best regards,

Paul

Miroslav Rajcic

Aug 8, 2023, 1:34:12 AM8/8/23
to noteca...@googlegroups.com
As Paul said, there is no such support.
The access protection per program is usually implemented using access permission mechanisms within your Operating System.

Regards,
  Miro

Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 2:10 AM
To: noteca...@googlegroups.com <noteca...@googlegroups.com>